Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Headlamps .. who uses them? I need a new one!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    8097 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    What.. no one liked my post ?

I worked a whole 2 minutes on that.

Sheesh. :P
    I particularly like the orgy possibilities!
    AARC likes this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1081 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    We occasionally go fossil hunting at night and have tried a few different headlamps. For cheap brightness, we like the rechargeable Cree 1600LM LED headlamps. Better are the headlamps used for mountain biking at night, but those come with handlebar hardware and have to be modified for a cap. I think those are a bit overkill - unless you need to illuminate something miles away, and cost about $600. The Cree are cheap - my last two bought on ebay were less than $23 total for both. Only issue with using headlamps is they attract lots of insects when there is no breeze!
    creskol likes this.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Running 2019 CRH: Boxes of halves searched: 69; dimes: 10
    Total skunk boxes: 49 halves (71%), 9 dimes (90%)
    90% halves from boxes: 30
    40% halves from boxes: 112
    Silver dimes from boxes: 1
    Silver halves from teller trays: 16 - 40% halves
    Coinstar silver: 3 quarters, 1 dime

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1081 times
    In addition to attracting insects, headlamps used when wading in shallow water will attract fish. Last time we were out, I felt a fish bump my bare leg and was surprised to see a snakehead about 6 to 8 pounds attracted to the light. They are delicious, but we had guests (also using spare Cree headlamps) and killing the snakehead would have been a bloody mess, with a long beach hike back.
    creskol likes this.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Running 2019 CRH: Boxes of halves searched: 69; dimes: 10
    Total skunk boxes: 49 halves (71%), 9 dimes (90%)
    90% halves from boxes: 30
    40% halves from boxes: 112
    Silver dimes from boxes: 1
    Silver halves from teller trays: 16 - 40% halves
    Coinstar silver: 3 quarters, 1 dime

us
    Mar 2013
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    2994 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    Now, I have to choose between these two:
    I (was) going to respond to your thread, but decided not to....(HEY, Wait...I'm 'sponding NOW...!)
    Oh well, you've made your decision, but Cost and Practicality should be decieding factors.
    1. You've chosen two multiple headlighting units, that are for high power floodlight - way enough
    to film a video,
    or headlight DEER hunting !
    but short use time, then have to change-out batteries. VERY Exspensive, too...!

I use Princeton Tec HL-D with three AA-batteries; three-level dimming, and flashing Mode,
    for each - flood and spot beam Modes.
    It has three little LED bulbs,
    and One 3-Watt LED bulb.

Very easy on batteries, when you dim-down, to a light level, that is perfect for the occasion,
    and never use the brighter bulb, unless I need to route-find, up a rock face - in the caves I explore....
    It has a deeply concave reflector that will give you a hot spot in the white flood light, and a warm,
    yellow BRIGHT Light, for the Spot.
    Yes, it is water-resistant
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    6663 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Lots of folks use those, but I never did cause in the back of my mind I'm always thinkin 'If they shoot, they will aim at the light'. The main reason is because where I grew up they attracted every bug in that part of the country, so they weren't practical.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11328 times
    Metal Detecting
    The 18650 are expensive - but can be recharged maybe 300 times. So that's 20 years if you use the headlight 2 hours a day. ;-)

I have a Fenix PD30 that is maybe eight years old and I am still recharging that original 18650 Lithium cell. Use that light LOTS (it's on my nightstand right now).

I don't like a light that is too bright because usually when I need a light it s to work on something with my hands. Too bright dazzles the eyes.

For shooting, just enough to see the white or dot sights. I've held the PD30 in the same hand as the forearm of my pump .22 many, many times for chicken coop raiders when I wasn't using the headlamp.

I guess if you were spotlighting something 200 yards away you'd need a gigalumen headlamp.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Jan 22, 2019 at 01:58 PM.
    AARC and Tom_in_CA like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7943 times
    The Truth
    I particularly like the orgy possibilities!
    I think in that particular situation some things are better left unseen
    creskol likes this.

us

Feb 2006
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11328 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yeah Sadly, in my case . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	641-08638522en_Masterfile.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	1673457
    creskol likes this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    8097 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I want a bright one because I spend a lot of time tramping through the deep woods at night. I am not detecting or anything, mainly just hiking. I love the critters you see in the woods at night, but I do want to see them. It also makes a great time to scout. There ain't nothing like a stroll through the woods at night!
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Mar 2016
    2435 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    The 18650 are expensive.
    Two 18650 batteries with charger costs $15

Six AA Alkaline batteries cost $8.

Recharge them once and you have broke even on the cost.
    Not very expensive really. I’d say extremely inexpensive.

Alkaline batteries need to just go away. They are such a waste compared to modern batteries.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Apr 2012
    Tupelo, Ms
    Fisher F2 w3coils - Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
    138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Knut dirtfisk View Post
    Nightcore concept 1. If you wear a ball cap it clips to the bill 1800 lumens 18650 rechargeable battery. Best light I've ever owned.
    I have 3 Nitecore lights. 2 p12's and a mh24 all powered by the 18650 battery. My backyard is over 3 acres and they light it up like a ball field. Very dependable lights. They have as much power as my big hand help spot light.

us

Feb 2006
    11328 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Two 18650 batteries with charger costs $15

Six AA Alkaline batteries cost $8.
    (I was being a little facetious if you look at the whole reply. I LIKE 18650 batteries!).

Mar 2016
    2435 times
    I’m a little slow like that.

Couple pennys each cycle not counting electricity to charge them.
    I just learned about them not long ago. They look good on paper.
    Charlie P. (NY) likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    4688 times
    Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    I want a bright one because I spend a lot of time tramping through the deep woods at night. I am not detecting or anything, mainly just hiking. I love the critters you see in the woods at night, but I do want to see them. It also makes a great time to scout. There ain't nothing like a stroll through the woods at night!
    I have been considering night vision or thermal lately. Costly, but the benefits for night detecting in the woods would be great.
    creskol likes this.

Jan 2019
    I'm a fan of my black diamond storm headlamp for everything !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links