Coins vs relics

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another topic was in my emptying mind, coins have value and interest but relics bring a different interest, relics would be considered around longer than any coins I would think, well who knows but just thinking, relics go way back only findable if metal of course but many where made of non metal substances etc, ok another subject I’m bored it’s 3 dam degrees going nuts.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relics are more valuable then coins. Relics were peoples personal possessions. With these the women would toil in the homestead, the men would toil on the farm land, mines, lumbering, etc,etc. Without these relics they couldn't survive. Coins are passed from one to another with no personal attachment.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relics are more valuable then coins. Relics were peoples personal possessions. With these the women would toil in the homestead, the men would toil on the farm land, mines, lumbering, etc,etc. Without these relics they couldn't survive. Coins are passed from one to another with no personal attachment.

Outstanding answer thankyou,

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All coins have value. It's printed right on most of them. Little works of art.

Relics - some are useful but many are where they are because someone didn't want them at the time.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember....a coin can be a relic as well.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to find either one. If I had to choose, I'd pick relics as my favorite.

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All coins have value. It's printed right on most of them. Little works of art.

Relics - some are useful but many are where they are because someone didn't want them at the time.

If someone didn't want them at the time, then they are junk or trash. I have found relics from the 1860's that of value to me because they were used by someone to survive with.. At the same time, coins I find from that era have no useful value to me.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy recovering a nice coin but I am primarily a relic hunter, definitely more rewarding to me saving that part of history.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here in Michigan the relic game just isnt their, now i do really enjoy old dumps and digging for bottles, but when it comes to metal detekting its all about the gold, silver, copper.... I do wish I was in a area of battle but Im not....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If someone didn't want them at the time, then they are junk or trash. I have found relics from the 1860's that of value to me because they were used by someone to survive with.. At the same time, coins I find from that era have no useful value to me.

We should swap. I'll send you all the rusted iron I have around on the property and you send me the like weight in coins you find. ;-)

I've probably got 200 lbs in harrow tines I could get together right now.

Well, when the ground thaws, anyhow.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here on the East Coast, it can be coins or relics. Gold coins are still being found, also silver hoards and spills, Indians, etc. Colonial coins, early US issues, relics from the 1500's to 1800's, not plow shares.

We also have the shipwrecks on the East Coast and on and on. I dig many more collectible relics than coins.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We should swap. I'll send you all the rusted iron I have around on the property and you send me the like weight in coins you find. ;-)

I've probably got 200 lbs in harrow tines I could get together right now.

Well, when the ground thaws, anyhow.

Great!!! you pay for shipping in my direction, I'll pay for shipping the light coins I send to you. It's a deal, I'm shaking hands with you right now to seal the exchange.:occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins are relics to me

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great!!! you pay for shipping in my direction, I'll pay for shipping the light coins I send to you. It's a deal, I'm shaking hands with you right now to seal the exchange.:occasion14:

I did say "of like weight". So that would be 200 lbs of coins. Same freight cost. ;-)

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did say "of like weight". So that would be 200 lbs of coins. Same freight cost. ;-)

You're a hard man to deal with. This offer is off. You win. With the price of scrap metal down, it's not worth my time to take all your junky trashy metal to the scrap yard.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're a hard man to deal with. This offer is off. You win. With the price of scrap metal down, it's not worth my time to take all your junky trashy metal to the scrap yard.

You guys need to read Art of the Deal! Great book about a great man. Just kidding.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I detect I never know what I'm going to find. I had a small coin collection when I was young so it's almost like I am hardwired to want to find coins. A nice relic can be pretty exciting and tough to beat. I've found some stuff that I am really happy with. I would really like to find some Rev war buttons. Those seem pretty elusive if you compare them to colonial coppers. So hard to decide! I'm 49% relics and 51% coin!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am primarily a Relic hunter and that's the hunting I do when given the chance. I was hooked at age 13 when I dug my first CW relic back in 1969. I can't speak for everyone but I feel that I can speak for many Relic hunters when I say that it isn't about a certain Relics value. The True value is in preserving and saving a piece of our American History and the value in knowing that these items or Relics found played a role in our History, whether being fired, dropped, worn, carved, etc. Each piece has their own story to tell. JMHO

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good point. I am of an age when Mercury (Liberty Head) Dimes and silver quarters were still occasionally in circulation and I scrutinized my paper route and pocket change.

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I am primarily a relic hunter and find some really interesting articles but I would rather find gold or silver coins occasionally. I haven't found one gold coin but my father found three that I know of. I was with him at the time he found the last one and I still have that one in my collection. It is a 1896 $20.00 piece in very good condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread