Hey how come we use little coins to search and gov has satellites than go miles

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse me it’s supposed to say coils not coins, Hey it’s not fair we work our asses off with a detector and a coil big as a supper dish plate takes forever but yet the government has satellites way up that can cover miles down, by the way you think they have a device or something than can see underneath the ground to a certain level. Man wouldn’t that be nice if we could tap into google earth or something to just have the advantage of that, wow even ocean are visible to great depths of course with very expensive equipment, hey what you think, once again my mind frozen it’s only 3 degrees out it can work on a person, I wish I could move outta this frozen tundra. But really tell me what you think.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda like Gold.....if it were any easier to mine the price would fall. If it were to easy to pull items from the ground, they all would be gone quickly. So I'm pretty much satisfied with the status quo. "A hard find." Then we that put in the time and effort can reap the rewards.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The size of the coil also has to be matched to the size of the target. How small a object can a satellite detect underground?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A similar question has often been posed by md'rs, when they lament how fish sonar can spot fish at great distances. And even tell the size/type of fish, etc... Thus ....... gee ....... why can't detectors get more than 10" or so on a coin?

The answer is as Charlie says: The matrix of solid ground/earth is a FAR CRY difference than thin air or water. Nothing impedes the signal in thin air or water. But solid ground is .......... solid ground :(

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I realize the difference between air or water considering thousands of mile from satellite to earth, but verse just a foot or two deep in ground, I have no problem earning my keep of a find, not looking for shortcuts just curious, I no there’s equipment available that’s shows a level of something color coded not necessarily a true picture but I’m saying just a foot or two I’m not interested in getting a earth mover. I appreciate your comments but I’m open minded. Look at the end of the day we all will continue to dig more junk that valuable stuff regardless of your experience or expensive detector it’s all go.not looking for a perfect solution but being a realistic one considering any detector company is maxed out on what they can do to improve machines electronics wise, I mean what can they do go deeper and actually tell you what the item is exactly, thanks guys that’s why we ask questions

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a good point Charlie how much can a satellite detect size wise, they certainly won’t tell us if sonar is used for ocean research at great depths than what can’t metal detectors do at only 1 or 2 feet deep any such equipment you’ve experience with or heard of thanks Charlie

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“RESOLUTION” my friend,and I believe the time IS coming,and will be the next “huge advancement” in this hobby...once they get the tech and cost/price to the point which is available to enough people to make it worthwhile. You know those Garrett “imaging coils”? Wah wah wah......didn’t work as well as some thought they should,you can’t tell diddly from squat. The tech has to get REALLY GOOD,and as far as current machines go,the CTX is as close as it comes.
You are a futuristic thinker sir! You’ll just have to wait for it though...:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou yes someday technology has to meet a respectable selling price for such a machine only thinking what can be next they maxed out it’s just a matter of u like a ford or Chevy not one currently that blows others away unless you no, what detector at this time is on the the verge of doing so or being that wow factor thanks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
“RESOLUTION” my friend,and I believe the time IS coming,and will be the next “huge advancement” in this hobby.....

You mean shape-showing technology ? If so, as you know, the current smallest-possible pixel sizes is something 1" across. Which does our hobby of detecting absolutely no good. Because every object we seek (coins, rings, buttons, bullets, nails, tabs, foil wads, etc...) is all ........ doh ... 1 pixel :tongue3:

But even if/when the day comes that the "resolution" is improved to 100x that : I don't think it's going to do any of us any good still. Everything you and I look for, will still end up being nothing but a messy blotch of pixels. For example: Even something that has a VERY DISTINCT shape, like a horse-shoe, you would THINK would be visible as a horse-shoe, Right ? Instead, all you get is a messy blotch of pixels.

So too will it be the case if/when technology ever improves the pixel sizes 100x over. Coins, rings, tabs, buttons, foil blotches, etc... will all still be nothing but a messy blotch of pixels. And the moment you add the SLIGHTEST bit of tilt to any object (coin or ring, etc...), you can kiss shape-showing goodbye.

I do not forsee the day when there's going to be a magical TV image of the object in the ground . And don't forget that a lot of objects we seek have identical shapes. Eg.: a ring vs a pulltab. or a smashed foil wad and a coin, etc.... Hence what I'd REALLY like to see, is not "shape-showing", but instead: A reading of composition :) Eg.: Gold vs aluminum REGARDLESS of the shape :)

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that would be great if it could identify gold from silver, copper, etc yeswhen swinging a detector it would be a tough task to show a actual picture, but yes if it could differ the or decider the actual types of metal aluminum that would be helpful to no dig or not, I just dig regardless now

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Group buy? :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread