mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm relatively new to detecting and have been fortunate to get some great permissions right from the start. One we are on now has a lot of colonial era relics. There is a high concentration of iron, signal jumps all over. We assume these areas are the house sites where the best relics would be but there is so much iron. My question is, is there something you guys do to better discriminate? Do I need a more expensive detector (Garrett ACE 400)? or do we just dig literally everything? Thanks for any advice.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Being in Denver I don't get a lot of opportunity to dig colonial so, yes, I would dig everything. Removing some iron might allow you to find something great.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best way to learn a machine is to dig everything. Pretty soon you'll have a much better idea is under the coil and pick and choose accordingly. Be careful, though, because crappy signals are sometimes good stuff.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When relic hunting you have to dig it all...you never know! :occasion14:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tip--Some of your iron signals at colonial sites are great relics :icon_thumright:

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
mbcuce, Its a sad truth but their all correct, dig it all. You may get away with popping the cap as they say, and pop a shallow plug above the target to see if it suddenly reads different. I've never really liked to do this, figuring if I'm digging any hole it might as well be for seeing whats there!,,,lol
Good Luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread