Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me first start out saying I do not believe in spirits or ghosts, however some recent events have made me rethink this attitude.

I few years back I was detecting at an old foundation in the deep in the forest. It was the former site of a tavern, and it had burned down in 1849. It is about 5 miles from the nearest home or paved road, there is no cell service or power lines anywhere near the site.

As I stepped into the cellar hole, I got a weird feeling there was a person behind me. I quickly turned around, but there was no one around. About a minute later I found a colonial copper coin. As I found the coin, my headphones gave a strange whispering voice. It was not quite a whisper, it was more like a moan, but it was so quick and faint that it was almost inaudible. I had the treasure talk feature on that detector, but this was not that kind of voice. It was very strange, but After examining the coin I soon forgot all about it.

Fast Forward to the summer of '07. I had the exact same experience as I dug another old copper at another location. I was also using a different metal detector. This time I wondered.

Last night I stumbled across a paranormal website with videos and sound bytes. I played a few of the .wav files and really got freaked out because IT WAS THE SAME SOUND I HEARD THROUGH MY HEADPHONES BOTH TIMES!

Has anyone else experienced similar experiences???

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never but, I do believe and you may now too. This should make a great thread. I could imagine something in the areas of Civil War discoveries..I love a good ghost story..

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO NEIL: Go to Dowsing, scroll down. About 1/2 of the way down, you will sse "Real de Tayopa . To the left you will see

"Dowsing/para normal experiences,post stories"

Let's reactivate it.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't believe in spirits eh? *L* Well I've been places where there
seemed to be a 'presence' lurking about but never have heard
anything as you described. It's that hair standing up on the back
of your neck feeling that really cannot be explained but has to be
experienced.

As for one of the most significant experiences that have occurred
to me... when my sister passed I got home close to midnight
that day from the family gathering.
Was walking up steps to upper floor in a very old colonial house
where I lived at the time. As I got halfway up the steps, it sounded
like someone was following me up the steps from the creaking noises
coming from behind me on those 250 year old steps. I'd stop and the
noise would stop - so I continued to top landing and the noises
started right back up and proceeded to follow me. Finally i quickly
turned around and just as I did that - I felt my sister's spirit go
right through me. There was no doubt in my mind who it was nor
what had happened. I assume she was saying goodbye and
letting me know for sure - the soul or spirit continues on after death...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sorry to be a kill-joy, but it's not supernatural. It's called "selective memory". It's the same thing at play when you dig 100 pulltabs and foil, and finally get a gold ring. You think "aha! that sounded different than the 100 tabs and foil I just dug. If only I could hone in one what the slightly different sound was, I could finally tell gold vs aluminum!" When in actuality, each time we stoop to dig, we think "this sounds different", but when it's junk, we forget our premonitions, and think "you know, it did sound sort of junky now that I think of it. The same psychology is at play when we think our dreams come true: The human dreams hundreds of dreams per night, none of which come true (all random, not psychic, etc...), but if we wake up the next morning and hear that song on the radio, or whatever actually comes true, THEN we remember the dream, and think "aha! I was psychic!".

So I suspect the same is true of your premonitions, etc.... It's selective memory, nothing paranormal.

jonw440

May 26, 2004
Central,MA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, M6, Classic ID
Neil in West Jersey said:
Let me first start out saying I do not believe in spirits or ghosts, however some recent events have made me rethink this attitude.

I few years back I was detecting at an old foundation in the deep in the forest. It was the former site of a tavern, and it had burned down in 1849. It is about 5 miles from the nearest home or paved road, there is no cell service or power lines anywhere near the site.

As I stepped into the cellar hole, I got a weird feeling there was a person behind me.
I get a funny feeling at times when around old homesteads in the woods.
As long as I never see a pair of black Colonial shoes as I look up from digging target I will be very happy..... :o

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
I am a full believer in the supernatural. Any house that is "haunted" or has some kind of spirits, reacts when I am there. My Mom and I moved into the house she lives now when I was 14. We would hear the creaks and bangs and thought nothing of it since it was a fairly old house. But, the house we came from was very old and we would talk about all the things we would experience while living there. There was also an attached smokehouse that was converted into a small 2 room apartment where my Uncle lived and later on my Aunt. Plus friends of the family lived there too. The strangest things from moving objects here and there, whispering and doors opening and closing. Nothing dramatic but just enough to get you attention. We lived there from the time I was 4 until 14. I was terrified of the basement. It was a dirt floor with a mud room that was probably used for canning. I never experienced anything down there but in my bedroom was a different story. I would see glowing lights swirling in the corners of the room and a man dressed in coveralls walking around. I hated being there. My dog would make me feel safer. He got hit by a car in '82 when I was 10 and things really got out of control. I was happy when we moved. The next house was a feeling of nicer spirits, or spirit. I remember coming home from work when I was 18 and getting in the shower. I heard my Mom come home and she was putting groceries away and opening and closing the cabinets while humming. The phone rang, (I always brought my phone in with me) and it was my Aunt. She asked for my Mom and I told her to hold on. I got out of the shower and I heard my Mom run up the stairs to her room. I called her and then went up after her. She was not there. She came home 5 minutes later. When I moved out, everything stopped. Until I moved back in when my house was being built. My wife was pregnant and my trailer I bought when I was single was being torn down and a new house was being put up. I dare not tell her about the house since she would be there alone on many days. I would hear the tv go on and off and the attic space creak and things I stored in there would be stacked differently then how I put them. My wife wouldn't go in there. Long story and I got many of them, I believe in ghosts. I have seen them since I was very young. My first experience was when I was 3 at my Grandmom and Grandfathers house. I walked down the hallway where the bedrooms were. At the end of the hallway was a tall mirror I used to make faces in. This time, a face came back and I screamed. I know what people say, you were 3 and how do you know? I know. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Being in my new house is nice. No problems here. Quiet. One time, a kid from school told me his house was haunted and I told him of some of my experiences. I was 13 and I stayed over his house one night. It was between 2 and 3 am when I heard the noises coming from the attic. I was petrified. It was like an old man talking to someone and he sounded angry. Only problem was, I was the only hearing it. Trust me, I am far from crazy. Just wierd things happen sometimes. Sorry about the length of this. You touched on my favorite subject.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Tom_in_CA said:
Sorry to be a kill-joy, but it's not supernatural. It's called "selective memory". It's the same thing at play when you dig 100 pulltabs and foil, and finally get a gold ring. You think "aha! that sounded different than the 100 tabs and foil I just dug. If only I could hone in one what the slightly different sound was, I could finally tell gold vs aluminum!" When in actuality, each time we stoop to dig, we think "this sounds different", but when it's junk, we forget our premonitions, and think "you know, it did sound sort of junky now that I think of it. The same psychology is at play when we think our dreams come true: The human dreams hundreds of dreams per night, none of which come true (all random, not psychic, etc...), but if we wake up the next morning and hear that song on the radio, or whatever actually comes true, THEN we remember the dream, and think "aha! I was psychic!".

So I suspect the same is true of your premonitions, etc.... It's selective memory, nothing paranormal.

According to my wife , whether or not I'm human is debatable , so I guess this theory doesn't apply to me , :P I have had no paranormal experiences
but I personally know a couple very credible people who have !

Doozis

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its out there and thats all i gotta say about that.aa

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry Tom but I don't think so. A premonition or any other psychic experience is not selective memory. If you do not believe in a sixth sense or anything psychic - that's totally understandable. It is out of your range of present experience. However that doesn't mean that does not exist.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to laugh at people when they said they saw a ghost. I have had quite a few things happen in the last 5 years that has changed my mind. We were packing to move to the house we live in now and it was a little over a year ago. I was in a hurry to get a box out of our bedroom and I was walking pretty fast down the hall and I saw a semi transparent black cloud or mist or maybe soot looking figure right in front of me. I stopped as fast as I could and it was about a foot in front of me and was sort of evaporating/disappearing right in front of me. It was shrinking from the top and bottom at the same time. When it was about as big as a grapefruit I reached out and it disappeared right in my hand. I didn't feel anything at all but there was something there. A lot of you may not believe me and I will understand why. Like I said, I used to laugh at people when they said they saw a ghost. I have several more to tell but I will save them for later I guess. Thanks for listening.
DANGLANGLEY

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Tom: Your quote--->

"So I suspect the same is true of your premonitions, etc.... It's selective memory, nothing paranormal"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

Selective memory cannot show something that you have never experienced before. Yes, things can apparently happen because of your mental attitude and imagination based upon past information, both consciously and subconsciouly, but not from a selective memory.

Can you explain how my bed sheets were pulled half way down several times one night, this while I was awake? My wife witnessed this, so it wasn't a self induced illusion.

A hidden admirer? hehe.

========

Danglangly, I am glad to see that you wern't afraid.

Don Jose de La Mancha

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I do not think spirits or ghost exist -- I KNOW they do -- I state that to me a personal "fact" -- quite real indeed -- there are differant types -- reoccuring types that just do the same thing over and over --its like watching a movie play over and over -- there are free moving spirits some are good / some bad just like normal folks are --most are harmless but a few a very bad the free movers can move things and interact with folks for better or worse -- the theres the third type -- an EVIL spirit being who has never been alive in the first place -- a negitive entity or demon as most folks would call it --these are very very bad and hate humans -- then there are the GOOD spirits that look out for us -- angels called by some . -- I fully understand that some people think bah hes nuts -- thats fine with me -- you have not had the same life events happen to you that I have had --if you did I firmly believe you would most likely also believe too -- but not having them it is understandible that you doubt it -- being a doubting thomas --(it doesn't exist in MY world until it happens to me or in front of me )-- is very common and normal -- I am a intelligent person who knows that there are many more things happening in the world than the few things that occur within my sight range and personal life --- Ivan

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Oh believe you me...they exist....just come on over, I'll introduce you to "George". My son has seen him walk from our front door into the dining room (the front door was locked and noone was in the dining room!!!). We have wood floors upstairs...where I am sitting in our computer room, you can hear the floor creak up there like someone is walking around. I had my kids test it out and that is what it sounds like!

I even snapped a pic of "George" in my window....tv in my dau's room (now my boys room), would come on and off, you had to be there when she came downstairs scared!!! We have had things dropping on the floor and nothing was there.

Several things have happened in this house and my kids have seen and heard things. They say children and animals have a better sense in seeing things than we do as adults. It seems when we get older, we loose that sense of believing and we go into denial phases.

So, come on over ... "George" is very friendly and is a welcomed guest in our home. I almost feel like his is our protector :)

I don't feel "George" comes with the house, I believe he comes with the land! This house was built in 1965...this land was farmland prior to that.

I am a believer, not only in my current home, but other things I have experienced....

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Oh yes, I'm a beliver. I have lived in several diffrent haunted homes. Two as a child and one as an adult. The last one was in Morrow Bay CA. back in 1990-92. We would see a shadow cross from the bathroom over into our bedroom or sometimes walk down the hallway. Even our two cats would stand up and get defensive until several minutes after the ghost would disappear. One weekend the Ex-inlaws came and spent the weekend with us. We heard her mother talking to someone in the kitchen, she was in the livingroom and thought that I was in the kitchen. All we heard was a one sided conversation, her mother turned white as a ghost when I walked down the hallway. I became good friends with neighborsacross the street and one day I asked him about the house we were renting. He and his wife told me that they moved into their home about 7 years before us and that the lady that lived and owned our house had brought them over some home baked cookies as a welcome to the neighborhood offering. While the lady was there at their home her husband was in the shower and when she went back home her husband had dropped dead in the shower. Yes when we lived there the shower would turn on and off too. Yes, I belive........

Desertfox

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
If you asked me you relic hunters don't have a thing on use beach guys. Its full of evidence of the spirit life. Ya got Jack Daniels, ancient royalty like Lord Calvert and some guy named Bud Wiser just to name a few. Bud must have had a pretty big family they pop up everywhere.

rcawdorswife

Aug 26, 2007
The sixth sense runs in my family, but it is more of speaking with the dead then anything.
I have had several ghost experiences and mine have been proven through my mother and the county coroner.

RCW

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ron and Ann said:
I even snapped a pic of "George" in my window....tv in my dau's room (now my boys room), would come on and off, you had to be there when she came downstairs scared!!! We have had things dropping on the floor and nothing was there.

How about posting a picture of "George" for all of us to see?

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Murph said:
If you asked me you relic hunters don't have a thing on use beach guys. Its full of evidence of the spirit life. Ya got Jack Daniels, ancient royalty like Lord Calvert and some guy named Bud Wiser just to name a few. Bud must have had a pretty big family they pop up everywhere.
:D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread