Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As I have aged and the health issues do their thing, I have gone from the all day marathons to 1-3 hours with 4 being a good hunt. Now, it can be as low as 50-60 holes and I am shot. Also depends on how far I have to walk and terrain conditions. Today, with the ground so wet, I hit the high ground which was mainly trash and cleared out mainly pull tab signals with a few better ones. The shot part is the knee and back, the longer I hunt, the more important that Sampson shovel is for me to get back up.

However, when the finds are decent, it is a little easier to hunt longer just because there seems to be some sort of hope of finding something really good. When I am wore out and starting to make my way back to the truck, I usually keep swinging but plan to only dig really good high tones...doesn't always work out that way but that was the plan. Sometimes I hit a good solid repeatable signal that I first ignore but still go back and dig it. After the last two hunts, I am reminded that Gatorade is better than just water. Yeah, I am trying to shed some weight to last longer but it has been slow at times as well.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only dig one hole per target, lol. Seriously though, I'm only good for 3-4 hours of detecting +/- and I'm beat. Use to be I could go all dang day digging like a fool. Gettin' old sucks in this regard.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get to old to dirt fish I will head to the beach where digging is a bit less labor intensive.

For now, a 10 hour 300 hole day is still possible but i pay for it over the next few days.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im 38 and will hunt all day with a couple of breaks, If i can get a good 6 hour sleep I can go all the next day but alot slower and more tone sensitive after 2 hard days im ready for a couple days of break time... I have a above elbo amputation on my left side, the prosthetic really wears my back out after a while...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a relic site, maybe 30-50 because I can tell pretty much the type of stuff I'm digging with my Deus.

On the beach, it's easier so maybe 20.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a site that's so full of trash I aim for 50 holes be it trash or treasure. so far it has paid off with 2-U S breast plates
and a colts powder flask , and a few bullets and flat buttons . trash can be as small as a speck of foil up to a 1940s car.

I guess I need to get a camera to show some finds.

Last edited:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
currently ? none all i can do is dream. after my last bout of gout its left me incapacitated. my ankles hurt. and my right forefinger cant even bend normally. my digging hand too. bummer ! life is spiraling right down the terlet??? all i can do is read everybodys stories

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the best thing I found for gout is cherries , fresh , canned , juice . load your diet with cherries . and keep moving the best you can . keep swinging if only digging clad under the kiddie swings at the park.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find that after 3 hours my mind gets tired of concentrating, so I keep my hunts between 1-3 hours. Maybe 10-15 holes an hour.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
currently ? none all i can do is dream. after my last bout of gout its left me incapacitated. my ankles hurt. and my right forefinger cant even bend normally. my digging hand too. bummer ! life is spiraling right down the terlet??? all i can do is read everybodys stories

Sorry to hear that, you've better in you yet. Maybe get a case of cans of cherries!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im 38 and will hunt all day with a couple of breaks, If i can get a good 6 hour sleep I can go all the next day but alot slower and more tone sensitive after 2 hard days im ready for a couple days of break time... I have a above elbo amputation on my left side, the prosthetic really wears my back out after a while...

Curious if you need your prosthetic to metal detect or if it helps at all?
I am always inspired by people that thrive despite adversity.

Hopefully you are using something wireless and light like the XP Deus?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In farm fields, I bet very close to 200 - 250+ holes in a long hunt. I usually dig everything and have been pleasantly surprised in many instances!

When hunting groomed areas, I'm very selective for the obvious reasons.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have aged and the health issues do their thing, I have gone from the all day marathons to 1-3 hours with 4 being a good hunt. Now, it can be as low as 50-60 holes and I am shot. Also depends on how far I have to walk and terrain conditions. Today, with the ground so wet, I hit the high ground which was mainly trash and cleared out mainly pull tab signals with a few better ones. The shot part is the knee and back, the longer I hunt, the more important that Sampson shovel is for me to get back up.

However, when the finds are decent, it is a little easier to hunt longer just because there seems to be some sort of hope of finding something really good. When I am wore out and starting to make my way back to the truck, I usually keep swinging but plan to only dig really good high tones...doesn't always work out that way but that was the plan. Sometimes I hit a good solid repeatable signal that I first ignore but still go back and dig it. After the last two hunts, I am reminded that Gatorade is better than just water. Yeah, I am trying to shed some weight to last longer but it has been slow at times as well.

I'm just 55 but my knees have been bothering me for about 5 years. I hear you about using the shovel! I use my shovel to help me get to the ground and to stand. Sometimes I don't dig the iffy signals because of my knees and I wonder what I'm leaving behind. I cherry pick mostly but I figure in a 1-2 hour hunt I dig maybe 50 holes. And if the finds are decent I can manage maybe 75 holes! Some days I hunt in the morning, take a break and do some rc flying for a couple hours, then hunt late in the afternoon.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am 16, and as my dad says, "He's young, and has his health", I use my health to my advantage. I dig every single signal now, after I got a foil signal, and a one piece CS button came out. I must have dug well over 60-70 holes in three days at DIV XLIV. Many varied in size as well. I dug a 6 foot trench that was 2 feet deept, and two feet wide. I thought it was a musket barrel. It was a T-Post.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 16, and as my dad says, "He's young, and has his health", I use my health to my advantage. I dig every single signal now, after I got a foil signal, and a one piece CS button came out. I must have dug well over 60-70 holes in three days at DIV XLIV. Many varied in size as well. I dug a 6 foot trench that was 2 feet deept, and two feet wide. I thought it was a musket barrel. It was a T-Post.

Wow, 16, that was nearly a half century ago for me.
You keep diggin, young man, you will live a happy, healthy life.
Cherish the time spent with your Father.

And I have been diggin longer than that.
I can still do an 8 hour hunt, thankfully, but it gets really painful the last hour or two. Don't do them often.
My average hunt time is 3 hours. Lately, I'm huntin 4 days a week.
I make myself get up and go dig somewhere, whether I feel like it or not.
If I'm really hurtin, I'll take a Goodys powder and that will dull the pain long enough for a hunt.
Once I'm out there, being one with my metal detector, I can put pain in the back of my mind.
When I'm detecting, I'm connected to it. No songs runnin through my head, not thinking about pain, yesterday, tomorrow or anything else.
It's meditation, yoga, some kind of Zen thing, mental, physical therapy and exercise.
The number of holes I'm diggin varies, if I'm huntin an old fairground I've been diggin for 30 years, I might dig 15 to 20 holes in 3 or 4 hours.
On the beach today, I don't know how many holes I dug in 4 hours but it was enough to fill a quart ziplock baggie I picked up, full of bottle caps and pull tabs.
Also found $1.38 in clad and a small gold earring.
I can no longer do other things I enjoy, lifelong golfer, no more, sold my big boat, no offshore fishing, shooting, too shaky.
For me, it doesn't matter hole many holes I dig, it's about the time I can spend detecting.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi .Dig smart and not hard . You only got one spine . TP

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would’ve gave up after the 1st foot of the trench. Good for you. I hope you kept the post. I would nominate it for a banner.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I can go as long as day light permits, when my knee isn’t involved, I’ll dig 50-80 holes as I get better with my machine. When I’m on the beach, I’m good for several hundred

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It also depends on the location. I was hunting a very large farm field, so the targets were spaced well apart. If I was yard hunting, that would be a different story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread