Offered gold today. - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Offered gold today.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Custom maker and searcher of treasure

Jan 2019
    Mars Hill NC
    Garrett ACE 300, current main user. Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it! Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob and used on eBay... Still finding metal!
    83 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yes, take them to a jeweler. I am one and I could tell you in 5 minutes if I had access to the pieces. I have stamps on my bench for 10k,14k,18k,sterling,.925,.999 that I use on my jewelry and my hand poured ingots daily. They can be had on Ebay or Amazon or a million other places for about $15. I am an honest person and even test MY OWN jewelry before stamping just to be sure I am not making a mistake. I could easily take a fake chain and stamp it 10k in less than a minute... plenty of people would have no problem doing that sadly. The story sounds shady, but I cant go off that. Maybe the items are stolen, maybe it was his and the guy was in a bind and needed quick cash, maybe the jewelry is fake and he took you. Any competent jeweler can test the gold and diamonds for you with no trouble and possibly even at no cost. Stamps on jewelry or tags etc really are no guarantee, you should only do business with legitimate dealers... or invest in a testing kit. I hope you scored, but my money is on fakes. It's a valuable lesson, but an expensive way to learn it. Good luck and I hope you will report back!

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    5428 times
    If the turn out to be fake you should return them to the store he stole them from.

Then seek out the dude that sold them , try to get a refund?

Nah, that won't work...
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1396 times
    Didnt it cross your mind why he would be selling a $28000 ring for less than 1% of the *price tag? Everything about this screams con....from the stamps to the price tags to the nature of the sale.

Good luck

Chub
    trdking, Kray Gelder and A2coins like this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    3058 times
    Best of luck to you. Be careful from now on.
    trdking, Kray Gelder and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    6529 times
    I had a friend that owned a pawn shop back in the day. I used to hang out in his store when I wasn't Busy. Had a guy come in with a roll of 14K gold stock chain for making necklaces. My buddy looked at it and tested it and it was of course fake. The guy said he had more rolls in his car and could he borrow my friends acid to test it and bring back any roll that was real. My buddy said sure and he laughed after he was gone. He told me that the guy was going to pour out the acid and put water in his bottle and come back with the same roll. Sure enough the guy came back My buddy tested that roll with the acid that was returned and whaLaaa tested positive for gold. The guy smiled then my buddy Grabbed another bottle of acid and it disappeared right before the guys eyes. My buddy then looked at him and asked him if he thought he was born yesterday? Told the guy that his face was on camera and that he would be alerting all pawn shops and calling the police. Which all was done after the guy fled. Con men are VERY tricky and will stop at nothing to get your money.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2676 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanthy View Post
    Even if a gold chain is stamped with a Karat number it does not guarantee that the piece is solid gold.
    I thought anything less than 24kt is not solid gold.
    trdking and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    6529 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    I thought anything less than 24kt is not solid gold.
    24K is pure gold and 14k is a little more than half gold
    the term solid refers to the fact that the alloy is 100% as opposed to plate rolled gold gold filled etc which is the alloy layered over another metal like nickel or copper
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Aug 2019
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuberale View Post
    All of them: the rings, the gold necklaces: had price tags. The 3-carat ring had a tag from Zale's, which is where I got my last diamond ring from.

Everything had 14K markings on them.
    still with the tag on it, for $150. He offered it to me for $200, but I only had $150 on me at the time. The 3-carat ring still had a price tag of $28,000 on it! I am a retired newspaper person, so I kind of suspect these were stolen. But there was nothing in the news in the past month or 2. Comments?

Aug 2019
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BAILYTA View Post
    still with the tag on it, for $150. He offered it to me for $200, but I only had $150 on me at the time Bluestacks Lucky Patcher Kodi. The 3-carat ring still had a price tag of $28,000 on it! I am a retired newspaper person, so I kind of suspect these were stolen. But there was nothing in the news in the past month or 2. Comments?
    still with the tag on it, for $150. He offered it to me for $200, but I only had $150 on me at the time. The 3-carat ring still had a price tag of $28,000 on it! I am a retired newspaper person, so I kind of suspect these were stolen. But there was nothing in the news in the past month or 2. Comments?

us
    Jul 2004
    California
    88 times
    Have a jeweler or pawn shop test them,...then come back and let us know what you found out.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer.
    7494 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanthy View Post
    Even if a gold chain is stamped with a Karat number it does not guarantee that the piece is solid gold.
    You can buy the punch tools that will mark jewelry with the 14K mark and others. ╦╦C
    DeepseekerADS likes this.
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade. And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him out or cut him 'til he cried out, in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving . I am leaving" but the fighter still remains. The Boxer Simon and Garfunkle

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer.
    7494 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    27 dollars on Amazon...
    Name:  shopping.png
Views: 185
Size:  4.0 KB ╦╦C
    DeepseekerADS likes this.
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade. And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him out or cut him 'til he cried out, in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving . I am leaving" but the fighter still remains. The Boxer Simon and Garfunkle

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17990 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Great to see you posting Terry, and also great to see you have faith in Our Father.

What was always said? Ain't no atheists in a fox hole....
    TerryC likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    7494 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Foxhole? FOXHOLE? You see a fox in that hole, it's a foxhole. You see a Marine in that hole, it's a FIGHTING hole! (Crazy (Sgt) Garcia in bootcamp). I thank God everyday since Vietnam. Everyday since has been XTRA! Take care, my friend. Terry

Charter Member

Mar 2003
    So. Cal.
    276 times
    I try to use this saying when buying stuff for any resale or money making. "Don't buy stuff you don't know about unless you like to learn life's lessons the hard way". Been burned over and over by this, but I still generally stick to it. Realized that a smart phone is a great tool to check things out before I do any buying. Many times you can find what you thought was real on ebay selling as a fake. Or, you will find you were about to pay too much because you thought what you were buying was rare, only to find out there were 50 of them on ebay. Use that phone before making the jump. It will save you some $$.
    hill_billiez and TerryC like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links