BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
how is discipline to be maintained ?
I read that now in Calif students can no longer be expelled
wth ?

edit: remember one in the 6th (?) grade;
was wiggling my ears and Mrs. Wright came up behind me and belted me in the head so hard I fell off my chair
I stopped

edit2: that is the ONLY teacher whose name I remember (not with rancor btw)

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to school in Calif and then various countries in Europe (private schools)
a long time ago, but the differences were/are vast
I believe the US population is carefully inoculated to specifically maintain the ignorance.

edit: this will po a bunch
why are the parents not in revolt ?
I have long stated that parents who love their children do NOT send them to public schools (of indoctrination).

I think the recognition of learning disabilities has been a step in the right direction. Some of us remember being placed in groupings by ability, throughout parochial school. I always thought school was easy, despite always being placed in the so-called "toughest" and highest groups and always excelling academically. I didn't understand how there were people so ignorant as to be placed in the lowest level. Now I realize that some of them were certainly learning disabled long before such things were diagnosed and back then they were just labelled slow, stupid or lazy. It now seems to have been unfair of me to have looked down on them for their inability to perform at the levels that came so easily to me.

What seems to be different today is how some take pride in their ignorance and seem to make no attempt to learn or to improve themselves.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
where you going Mega ?
I entered kinder knowing how to read, spell, and do arithmetic
school was always absolute hell, a mental enema (and I became disruptive, nothing to do)

2 sides to every coin

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow you people are old LOL

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yup Tommy, gittin' old. And in the way.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how is discipline to be maintained ?
I read that now in Calif students can no longer be expelled
wth ?

edit: remember one in the 6th (?) grade;
was wiggling my ears and Mrs. Wright came up behind me and belted me in the head so hard I fell off my chair
I stopped

edit2: that is the ONLY teacher whose name I remember (not with rancor btw)

My wife taught public middle school science. She had 6th graders with juvenile records, some of which were sealed. Some of the kids were homeless. Some were damaged by the drugs their moms abused while pregnant. All were thrown together in the same classroom. Some were children of parents who hated teachers. I wouldn't have done her job for 10 times what they paid her. Retired now, her old principal called begging her to come back to teach chemistry at her new HS assignment. I held my breath and was happy she said no thanks.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to school in Hawaii cut through a feild for a short cut if the bulls chased you you had to throw them your lunch to make it there. I lost alot of Ravioli. then you had to find a rock for a tablet to write on 1 room school house learning my gazintas and gazatas 3 gazinta 9 3 times . Then I would climb a Mountain to get to the peak to get to Mrs Hickories class.She was tall skinny and looked like she could be a main character in gone with the wind.. If you needed to go to the bathroom you would gather leaves and hike down to the creek ,gather some firewood wrestle a bear or 3 and you had to be back in 20 minutes or you would get flogged with a hot tea kettle. We were so much smarter back then school was a place to learn if more people were just like me this world would be a better place.Boy we shaped things up for our future generations through our kids, HMMMM Really. I think even back then kids were alot the same just we werent labeled like we are today , and with everyone having kids and the population so huge how can you give much individual attention to someone.Plus teachers people say how importent they are yet they are paid so little.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
no idea when/if the US will come to realise - if they ever can in the present climate
here we go

got to segregate the students
1st those who wish to learn (never disruptive) from those being in a detention center for small people
2ed by capability, say what one wishes but students have different capabilities

the myth of equality is killing the educational system
was an asst lecturer at SJSU, NEVER would/could I be a teacher; lots of respect for those who invest

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where you going Mega ?
I entered kinder knowing how to read, spell, and do arithmetic
school was always absolute hell, a mental enema (and I became disruptive, nothing to do)

2 sides to every coin

I guess I have always had a "if you have all lemons, then make lemonade" approach to life. Yes, I could do math at a high level when starting school. My self-taught grandmother was a book keeper for a flour mill and always asked me math questions (in two languages). Mostly I learned organization and how to write and speak (to groups) in school. I could not accept finishing second to anyone. I actually published my first scientific publication, entirely my own work, albeit as a "junior" submission, between 8th grade and HS.

I taught my own kids math before they were old enough to attend school, using french fries as learning tools for my son and m&ms with my daughter. My wife read to them every night. That head start carried them through grad school.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Mega - and that parental involvement is exactly what is needed, kudos
but how is an ignorant breeder going to do the same (w/o your intellectual resources) ?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a downside to an unwillingness to accept anything less than absolute perfection. One of our over-achieving kids would occasionally call home in tears of frustration because she was "failing" in college. Her failure? (we were used to this) Her last exam was "only" an A, and not an A+. Because of that, she questioned if maybe she was "not smart enough to be here".

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Our son has the perfect brain for school and it was easy for him, never even had to study.
Our daughter has dyslexia and struggled with math and reading and shes a mirror reader.
The public schools dont recognize what they cant physically see or understand so many many kids are left to struggle their way through with no help at all.
Kids with learning disabilities dont become teachers so they never will progress there.
We pulled her out in grade school as they were failing her and we educated her ourselves. She went back for sports through high school but the teachers only deal with kids like her by putting her out in the hallway by herself.
The public education system is a complete failure to most kids sadly.
Keep them dumb should be the motto.
Shes a grown woman now and has a great life no thanks to her schooling.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mega - and that parental involvement is exactly what is needed, kudos
but how is an ignorant breeder going to do the same (w/o your intellectual resources) ?

I try to be understanding of others. I do not claim that my achievements were only the result of hard work - and I did work very hard, and set high standards for myself. Many people work hard and still fail at no fault of their own. I am thankful to have won a sort of genetic lottery and have always been blessed with good health.

Friends who knew my situation have suggested that performing at a high level was an act of rebellion. My own parents did not support my educational achievements. I was an independent student in college. The deans knew about me and would find me campus jobs and tutoring jobs - before there were merit based scholarships. I did everything from security at rock concerts to tutoring foreign students who had families killed in civil wars, and other students who were accepted to med school provisionally upon passing organic chemistry (so I tutored them in Org Chem). Off campus, I unloaded trucks and worked at a liquor store for four years. I had my pick of grad schools. My marine corps sgt father was a brutal disciplinarian who wanted me to volunteer and then fall on a grenade (literally) so he could brag about it every Memorial Day. He actually came to my undergrad graduation ceremony where I finished first in my class and commented that it would look good to OCS. My mom wanted me to become a priest because she thought my abilities with animals was like that of St. Francis of Assissi. There may be something to this rebellion theory...LOL.

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...very simple if you can’t prove something why make any statements at all,

Proofs are for mathematicians, coin collectors, and distillers. In science, for example, nothing is ever proven, it's all just theories that ever-increasingly fit the observations. History is worse; it is initially written by the winners, and it takes an overwhelmingly strong appeal by non-partisans to get it corrected. This began after my school days, but even while I was being taught that Columbus discovered America I was amused that he was greeted by... people who were already here. Very often hard proof of historical reality is lacking so we do the best we can and, like science, make corrections as new evidence becomes available.

Things are getting better, but there are still a lot of people vehemently opposed to RealScience or RealHistory being taught in schools. Even some state boards of education still selectively choose books that continue to present "alternative facts," as Kellyanne famously said.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good view points

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A debate about what ails our education system, probably doesn't belong here. Just my opinion. Now, weird things that happened to you in school involving teachers, that would be good. My fifth grade teacher had a paddle he made himself. About two feet long, 6 inches wide, looked like a cricket bat. All shiny black, red racing stripe, holes drilled in it for speed. He liked using it, and it would nearly knock you off your feet. Felt in one time. I really hated that S.O.B. We paid attention in class. 1965.

LOL, when I was in first grade, we had a little old lady as our teacher. She was as sweet as could be unless you were being a hellion. If you didnt straighten up, it was down to the office for a paddlin'. Now, her swats never hurt but MOST of us were smart enough to never say anything. Of course then there was one... came back to his desk, laughed and said "that didnt even hurt". When he got back the second time he wasnt laughing any more!

I wish the schools would still use corporal punishment. Look where we are today since its been eliminated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread