SweepingAcrossAmerica ~ Best coil to use on the beach?

French Creek hunter

Dec 8, 2011
Charleston,WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5id, Minelab E-Trac.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time.

It seems like I never have much time to actually go out and metal detect anymore. Between the building of my blog and actual work there isn't much room to venture out and swing that metal detector. With the new year I have realized that I have been metal detecting for 16 years now! A lot of those years have been off and on, depending on how much time I have.

This time of the year in West Virginia is usually my favorite time. I've never liked metal detecting in the blazing heat, so I prefer the cold a lot more. With that being said, my family and I venture down to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for Christmas vacationing. Like we have done for so many years previous. This year was a little different, we picked a condo below the Sky Wheel, 21st Street South. It's a bit more sketchy and low end, but the condo we picked was really nice.

To get to my point, I've been collecting some coils for my Minelab e-Trac. I have the standard stock coil that came with it. The CORS giant 15"X17" DD and a more recent 6" Coiltek. For the beach I prefer something a little lighter because it's hard to tell how often you'll even get a signal, especially in Myrtle. It seems like back in and around 2010 I was finding a lot more coins on the beach than I do now.

I started my first day with my stock coil, finding a lot of bottle caps, pull tabs and a few coins here and there. My settings were pretty wide open on the main screen. I think the only thing I discriminated was iron.

On the second day I switched out to the 6" Coiltek and was able to crank that sensitivity pretty high and was finding some really deep coin signals. Along with some other trash. My top find was an unspent 9mm bullet that was only dropped shortly before my arrival to MB.

On the third day I switched out to my gigantic coil that for me is really hard to swing. When I first bought this coil I used it in MB and was able to swing it for a couple of hours. This year, I was already sore and swinging this big coil was just not having it. I probably spent 15 minutes on the beach and decided to switch back to the stock coil.

I think my the fourth day I was giving up on the hopes of finding anything great this year. I switched into a new hobby of finding sharks teeth, which was a lot more successful and it will be something I do next year. Along with metal detecting of course.

Which do you think is the best coil? Would you suggest a different coil or different metal detector for the beach?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most machines work well in the dry sand, it's the transition part and in water section that needs proper attention. The E-Trac is a great machine, but slow processor and not water proof. The Minelab Equinox appears to be a fine machine for all parts of the beach area. I personally, use different machines (see my avatar section) for different parts of the beach depending on my "detecting mood". I am sure beach detector experts will chime in with there advice.

Good Luck in 2020! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread