AMERICAN PICKERS - Thoughts about the show nowdays ?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collected and restored old bicycles for many years. I'd buy them from farmers out of their barns for reasonable prices, or wherever I could get them. After the Picker show started, many people with old bikes suddenly thought they were worth thousands of dollars. The Pickers show pretty much ruined my fun! I don't collect old bikes anymore, but still have several. The Pickers won't be getting any of these. Gary
View attachment 1787896

Is that PeeWee Herman's bike? :laughing7:

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They EACH make 500k salary per season... AND 10k per episode.

Mike has 5 million from show... frank has 4.

Even Danielle has made 1.5 million off being on the show.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They pass / walk by way more than they find.

Always has frustrated me watching this show... when they are walking around I am like "right there" ! "look"... "oh man".

Then will pay 500 to make 550.

To me its not even worth the time or effort.... and then they gotta lug and clean it.

Its a good thing they make 16k per episode cuz the biz / shop aint making no money lol
And they pick some stupid stuff Frank expects to get whatever he wants for super low prices Yep they wouldn't pay for gas travel hotels ect for the cheesy stuff they pick I stopped watching like prawn stars that show had some idiots in it

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I feel bad ragging on the pickers... so here I am watching and guess what...

THEY PICKED SMALLS... and not just anything... they got an old pestle mortar... and other items so out of character.

Hmmm perhaps they read this thread. lol

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting few episodes.. they seem to be picking a bit better.

Guy in S.C. was a military buff... man o man what a collection.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i like the show,but i think that they should buy all of the old nos parts and get a place to sort it out.i do think they walk by a lot of cool stuff.
brad

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though It’s staged I enjoy it and always have as far as stuff on the History channel. That channel really went to crap the last However many years ago. They went from awesome war and history documentaries all the time to pretty much 24/7 crappy “reality” shows. And “Ancient Aliens” might be the worst show of all time. Completely full of pseudo-Science BS and the furthest thing from history that they show.

I hear ya. Just like "The Curse of Oak Island". I guess that I'm kind of thick between the ears, but it took me a few years of off and on viewing to realize that their "amazing finds" or research every year, amount to just another justification to relocate and drill again. The dog has chased it's tail for years now but the show is a revenue producer for all involved.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like those picks where these people have 20 to 30 old cars gotta be worth a fortune but wont sell nothing an there as old as abe lincoln

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those places gotta have an easy million worth of stuff I could spend months just digging through that stuff
I really like the ones where they have made a town old original stores with all the stuff still in it remember the white castle the guy had moved to his property can be fun to watch

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What the folks do with their property and the properties people own are always interesting to me.
But.... when the pickers drive up the prices by overpaying well, that drives me..up the wall!
I do watch the show just to check out Danni’s Tats!:laughing7:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
cant say i ever caught the show. am i missing anything ? maybe Danni's tats ?

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the folks do with their property and the properties people own are always interesting to me.
But.... when the pickers drive up the prices by overpaying well, that drives me..up the wall!
I do watch the show just to check out Danni’s Tats!:laughing7:

Watching Danni's WHATS? They do appear quite impressive...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread