Remembering MANY years back.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for 52 years . I have had many different encounters. I have been offered money to buy food, Been called childish names for playing in the dirt. It was considered a childish pastime. people have told me i could come over and play in there childrens sand box if i wanted to.I have recovered murder weapons , Found bullets in dead animals and in dirt where someone was killed. Found safes in rivers But back then you did not see or hear of many detectorist's

Now it is quite different . So many men and ladies are into this sport now. I CAN NOT believe how popular this sport has become. Very few hobbies pay for them selves this is one that could.

My all time favorite find was finding a ladys mothers wedding ring that she lost for over fifty years . She knew where she had lost it. In ten minutes i had the ring back in her hands s. She was screaming and jumping up and down crying. She was 82 years old. I think this is my favorite find.
I am asked what is my best find i think her moms wedding ring is it.

Hope i did not bore you with this but I really do enjoy this sport and hobby

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best finds are also the lost items returned... Civil war relics run a very close second. Old coins 3rd.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I liked this sharing of thoughts very much. The return was wonderful, and the invitation to the sand box could lead to detecting the whole property. Thank You.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have a question for you OLD timers. Do you remember anyone calling you a kid, sissy or child for digging way back ? Don't be bashful just ADMIT IT to US LOL

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have a question for you OLD timers. Do you remember anyone calling you a kid, sissy or child for digging way back ? Don't be bashful just ADMIT IT to US LOL

I will also add that the guys who I first saw detecting would make your jaw hit the dirt when they showed you their finds.

They were the 70's hipsters... You definitely were NO sissy when you got to see guys with a bag of precious metals and stones the size of your head.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for 52 years . I have had many different encounters. I have been offered money to buy food, Been called childish names for playing in the dirt. It was considered a childish pastime. people have told me i could come over and play in there childrens sand box if i wanted to.I have recovered murder weapons , Found bullets in dead animals and in dirt where someone was killed. Found safes in rivers But back then you did not see or hear of many detectorist's

Now it is quite different . So many men and ladies are into this sport now. I CAN NOT believe how popular this sport has become. Very few hobbies pay for them selves this is one that could.

My all time favorite find was finding a ladys mothers wedding ring that she lost for over fifty years . She knew where she had lost it. In ten minutes i had the ring back in her hands s. She was screaming and jumping up and down crying. She was 82 years old. I think this is my favorite find.
I am asked what is my best find i think her moms wedding ring is it.

Hope i did not bore you with this but I really do enjoy this sport and hobby
Great post my friend so true I've been offered change even from my own Daughters lol I think now more than ever we appreciate out History more and more cause its disappearing. Thanks for sharing that I have 3 jobs putting my Daughters through College on of them I sit by a phone Thanking God for this site I dont do Facebook or internet much but I'm true treasure and History Hunter probobly why I post so much while I sit here . This is an amazing hobby and site. And you make it great also helping I'd stuff voicing your opinion and part of the tnet family. Great thread Gare Tommy

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ?

Not my thread A2.

Gare's thread.
I My phone shows the name of the last one to post so it looks like the last one is the OP told ya this job is boooooring but you are an asset still. My Daughters always mess with me when I get home a silver quarter a couple wheats they say why do you spend 5 to 6 hours looking for 28 cents are you on drugs Mr Gambini. Do you need some change Dad. Are we broke I say yes and yes

1 more hour of this job done for the day

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My kids always says dude you know my your always in the dumb box I say why they say cause you just fit in there so well

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please tell us what it was like, all those years ago, where almost every signal you dug was SILVER? :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting in 1968. I had been deer hunting with a New Compound bow. I had missed a buck deer 4 times and lost 4 arrows. I had went tout and paid 79 dollars i think for a Orion metal detector. I NEVER FOUND any OF THOSE ARROWS but did find a quarter and i was hooked. It almost had to be a silver quarter. Clad had only been out for 4 years. I was not as hungry fro detecting as i am now. I was married and had 2 boys so money was tight . Time was important also. I have MUCH more FREE TIME NOW LOL. I do remember in 1973 the battle field sites were made illegal to detect such as Gettysburg. The machines back then were not as dependable as of now days. We would not do research just go to old schools and parks. I never did hunt the national Battle Sites . Wish i would have now. I have NEVER sold any of my finds. I have gave a lot away. Later on I was afraid to show some of my finds for fear of being broken into. I was broken into around 1991 and had 20 guns stolen and i was afraid they would come after the finds. You NEVER seen any one else detecting. I think i got my first detecting magazine around 1970 or 71 i still have a few of them . Well i have babbled on long enough . Thaniks for asking. I hope this might give you some idea of back then

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had started treasure hunting in in 1964 with a White detector sold to me by Karl Von Mueller. Great man, bad detector.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Honest !!! Great man great books 1!!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Thread Gare. I started detecting about 30 years ago. My children thought it was kind of a goofy hobby until they went out with me, and helped me "dig" the items. It then all of the sudden turned into "cool" stuff that we brought home, cleaned up, and properly displayed in my cases for all to enjoy. They, and my wife, really opened their eyes when the silver started coming home. That was many years ago, and my daughter who is 33 will still go out with me periodically. She has a 14 month old son now, who will be my new detecting partner in due time. My son who is 43 will go out with me when he visits us from Oklahoma. They finally get it !! My favorite finds ? The 7 rings I have found and been able to return. No better satisfaction than seeing that smile on someones face.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dr. Roy Roush, PhD Archaeology, taught me to MD back in the late 60's. We went to Ransburg Ca. He got out of the car and tuned his detector off the side of the road. He immediately got a hit; a SLQ. I was hooked from that moment till now.
Don....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes dammit they did...think it was cause i started in 1975 at age 12

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family and I used to go camping in the Upper peninsula of Michigan quite a bit when I was a kid. I remember my dad had an old white's BFO ( Beat Frequency Oscillator ) metal detector - he always took it with him . One day while we were taking one of our 100 mile little drives in the woods we located and old log cabing ( the remains of a cabin ) . My dad located an old cooking pot and I can remember my mom and dad getting excited hoping the'd find some coins or treasure buried in the pot . Of course no coins or anything but the pot was exciting . My dad has loved detecting most of his adult life - he is now 85 yrs old .

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first metal detector was a stick with a magnet taped to the end.

:P

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC i sent you a PM

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"She was screaming and jumping up and down crying. She was 82 years old. I think this is my favorite find.
I am asked what is my best find i think her moms wedding ring is it."

I had a similar experience. I was water hunting a northern California lake and scooped out a 1960 class ring from a San Francisco high school. This ring had 3 initials engraved on the inside. I called up the
high school and they were able to find the girl who lost it. I was able to return the ring she had lost when she was 18 years old. When she got the ring back she was 74! What a great feeling to return
that ring. She had a reaction similar to the one you wrote about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread