Cleaning old coins

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so, I have a coin collection consisting of multiple coins. I will only list one for this post.

I have a 1942 s wheat penny, heavily tarnished. I have been struggling to figure out how to clean coins without damaging them. My dad recommended a product from a long time ago called tarnex.

I found it at a store, and tried it out on the 1942 s wheat penny.

Before and after photos.

20200403_075743.jpg

20200403_075751.jpg

20200403_075926.jpg

20200403_075920.jpg

The commercial from the 70s wasn't kidding. It turns heavily tarnished coins into almost uncirculated!

I cleaned all my coins, needless to say.

Jared

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The commercial from the 70s wasn't kidding. It turns heavily tarnished coins into almost uncirculated!

I cleaned all my coins, needless to say.
In reality, it turns coins more into "worth a lot less", at least to true collectors.
Not hard to find info on the damage to value that cleaning causes.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In reality, it turns coins more into "worth a lot less", at least to true collectors.
Not hard to find info on the damage to value that cleaning causes.

Well, I don't plan on getting rid of these coins anytime soon. I'm not what you call a True collector.

On the other hand, I did not know that. Looks like I learned something. Thank you for pointing that out.

The commercial was from the 70s, so it was heavily outdated.

Thanks for pointing out the error I made. I appreciate it.

Jared

YooperDaddy80

Greenie
Oct 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the coins i find have little value, so ive tried a few things. If youre looking to clean up newer clad coins ,so you can spend it, i use vinegar, separate the nickels,dimes, quarters and put them in their own container so you dont end up with copper transfer i put pennys in their own bath. I use containers with screw on lids so i can shake them around and spilled vinegar doesnt smell good either! After theyve soaked a day or two i use a fine wire brush in a light circular motion to scrub any remaining dirt off then wash with soap and water to stop the vinegar/acid action. About 98% of the coins i find are good enough to cash in after doin this.

Older coins i use soap and water, a toothbrush or just spray em down with wd40 or a dab of cooking oil and let the oil soak in awhile before removing dirt, u want to use something that wont scratch or remove any metal like a toothbrush or towel and try to remove it in layers so youre washing the dirt away constantly rather than making a dirt paste which would tend to change the finish.

I cant justify spending the money on one- I think theres a lot of vibratory or tumble cleaners that would work wonders on the newer junk coins we find with the right abrasive media. Something like guys use to clean their brass bullet casings before reloading.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure cleaned that coin, didn't it?
If you are not going to sell any coin of value,
it matters greatly that if the coin was cleaned or not.
Usually professional can do the cleaning, and stop at a point,
when the patina and/or the details say STOP!
I've learned the hard way, when I allowed my Flying Eagle Cent,
get soaked in vinegar, to clean up to get a date off the coin....
Big mistake! ...and, there wasn't a date either, just a vague
profile of the eagle...!
Researching the best way, or having it done by pros.
Take care!
~Jim

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your coin was actually quite nice before you cleaned it, now it has an unnatural appearance. Hopefully, none of the coins were of any great value.

VoyageWarlock

May 1, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If youre looking to clean up newer clad coins ,so you can spend it, i use vinegar, separate the nickels,dimes, quarters and put them in their own container so you dont end up with copper transfer i put pennys in their own bath. I use containers with screw on lids so i can shake them around and spilled vinegar doesnt smell good either! After theyve soaked a day or two i use a fine wire brush in a light circular motion to scrub any remaining dirt off then wash with soap and water to stop the vinegar/acid action. About 98% of the coins i find are good enough to cash in after doin this. MCDVOICE

Last edited:

paramedic

May 9, 2009
saint charles mo
If I absolutely had to clean a coin, whether I was keeping it or not' I use distilled water a real cotton tip Q-tip and VERY lightly removed the dirt from the surface. I only do that to show a date I cant see, that is all.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you don't plan on selling them, they will surely be passed on to someone else at some point in time.
Cleaning them still takes away from their value, now OR in the future.
You can not "hide" cleaning a coin.
It will always be detectable.
It takes MANY years for a coin or other silver object to tarnish or get a patina.
It takes seconds to remove that.
I have sterling spoons that are almost black, but I wouldn't clean them for that reason.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
IF you don't plan on selling them, they will surely be passed on to someone else at some point in time.
Cleaning them still takes away from their value, now OR in the future.
You can not "hide" cleaning a coin.
It will always be detectable.
It takes MANY years for a coin or other silver object to tarnish or get a patina.
It takes seconds to remove that.
I have sterling spoons that are almost black, but I wouldn't clean them for that reason.
Many of the 40% Kennedy’s that I dipped sold at a premium, as they are now in BU condition.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of the 40% Kennedy’s that I dipped sold at a premium, as they are now in BU condition.
If done properly dipping an uncirculated coin will remove toning and tarnish without harming the coin. It won't improve a coins condition but can remove distracting tarnish. The trick is to know how and when to do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread