It Should Be Required To Post Your General Location On Your Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should It Be Required To Post Your General Location On Your Profile

I'm not saying that you should post your address or zip code. But I think it should be required that general locations be posted on the profile of members.

Maybe something like, what part of what state are you in. Such as something like the Carolina Lowcountry, which is where I live and proudly display on my profile or Northeast Montana or whatever part of your state you live in.

I have seen many posts, from people asking for help to identify artifacts, especially Aboriginal American artifacts. The first response to the post will be where are you, where did you find it.

What's your thoughts on this? Should it be required? Or if nothing else, a sticky at the top of the introduction thread strongly encouraging members to post their general location.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, it does help if people post their location, however
I don't believe it should be a requirement (on this site).

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Def. not. I value my privacy.

If somebody wants to give informatoin about a find, he can do so and it is sure helpful for Aboriginal American artifacts.

E.G. flat "triple gilt" Buttons are however found from your backyard to Australia. Finally, the finding location is not necessarily your home location and sometimes the notion that e.g. an old railroad track was detected more helpful than any location.

No offenese meant.

Greets

Namxat

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not on this site to give location you can always ask the person we’re there at and if they tell they tell.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
It should not be a requirement , but I kinda thought we were family here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it does help if people post their location, however
I don't believe it should be a requirement (on this site).

It never will be a requirement on TreasureNet. It is nice if members post the state, but not required.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3rd. Rock from the Sun

000earth.jpg

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is frustrating when a member without a location or type of detector in their profile ask for help. Hard to give accurate help without these two items. Would be nice to even have the level of experience of the poster. Most of the time I don't give advice when they ask a question and have a mostly blank profile.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the locations I have seen as to where someone lives is listed as..."in a Van, down by the River"!

Love that one!! :laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, location and real name!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea why it is important that I tell people what state I live in let alone what portion of a state. If there is a specific reason you feel you need to know it’s not too tough to ask the question.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure, if your name is really ‘Susan’

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone posted a picture of a find on a beach, and their was anything in the background, and they said WA state - I might be able to identify the spot, and the claim jump them

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The one advantage I see is the possibility of finding a hunting partner nearby. My "location" on my profile wouldn't mean anything to anyone else but local. I was contacted by a local on here about 5 years ago, he knew exactly (almost) by my description = SW VA Bull Mountain.

That means virtually nothing to anyone who is not very local to me, and it does not identify who I really am. I didn't even come near to posting my address.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last I looked is we are in America and location entry is optional. Many old coots on here that never trusted new tech so they feel safer giving up as little info as possible.

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it were required people who don't want you to know would just lie. Also people often post things that weren't found in their "backyard" so basing an ID on their location could even be misleading.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree not required, but a generalization of region would be good...if the individual wants they could always try to connect to get together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread