So much for the tick spray...
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: So much for the tick spray...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2020
    359 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

So much for the tick spray...

The ticks on eastern Long Island, NY are thick as usual. I'm more of a needle in the haystack detectorist so I go into undeveloped woods. Above freezing I go out detecting with knee-high rubber boots. I spray a fresh coat of Sawyer permethrin on the boots until they are completely dripping wet top to bottom just prior to entering the woods, every time The black rubber boots have a built up coating of Sawyer spray on them. Not only do i avoid skin contact with this spray, I keep it off of my clothing. If I spray the stuff in wind and smell it, it makes me feel goofy. I'm careful to not brush up against anything and walk down low shrubs if I have to break through to clear forests. The last three days I have had ticks reach the skin. Today while standing to dig a signal I watched two mature lone star ticks walk up the same boot and reach my pants within 30 seconds. I now realize I was living with a false sense of security. This stuff made it look as though it just made them crawl faster. I was getting ready to drop some big coin on the CTX 3030 and up my game, but now realize I should just stay out of the thick woods until fall. Given that I have to switch to beach detecting (a new mode for me), I either get a PI beach machine and keep the Spectra V3i running or get the all terrain machine.
    xcopperstax likes this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    13325 times
    Metal Detecting
    Obviously they are getting on you above boot level. I get them on my arms from brush when mowing.

PS - Sawyers works because it soaks into fabric. Not so sure about vinyl boots.
    Jim in Idaho, civilman1 and Upham like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Mar 2020
    359 times
    No, I watched them crawl on to the sole of the boot, then climb up the entire length of the side.

Mar 2020
    359 times
    I have sprayed enough Sawyer on these boots the past 8 months to create a tacky film. I had just completely hosed them down with spray within 20 minutes of this incident.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3539 times
    Prospecting
    The tacky film is probably just the "carrier" left after the Permethrin evaporated, or ran off. Charlie's right.
    Jim
    civilman1 likes this.

Jul 2012
    741 times
    The instructions on my can of Permethrin states to spray each item of clothing for a minimum of 30 seconds on each side. I have never done that. I just spray a light coating on my pants before I go out. Even with this light coating ticks crawl up my pants, stagger a little bit, then die and fall off. You should spray your clothing, Eastender.
    Jim in Idaho likes this.

I use a 14 - 16 oz. spray bottle filled with water. Add 3 to 5 drops of Tea Tree Oil to it, and spray on your clothing, boots, arms, face, legs etc. It is all natural so you can spray it directly on your skin. I have used this spray for years, and it has worked well.
    Toecutter and islamoradamark like this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    13325 times
    Metal Detecting
    Sawyers does state "shoes, boots and waders". I have two pair of pants and a hoodie I leave in the basement (walk-out) that I have treated with Sawyers Permethrin and I take the dog out (he wears a Seresto collar year-round) twice a day to shag a ball in a one-acre pasture and also walks & firewood collection in the woods. So far (knock wood) I have not found a tick on me or the pants when wearing the treated clothing in the last two years.

Before I started using the Sawyers I'd toss whatever I was wearing in the dryer for 5 minutes when I came in. I'd often find two or three ticks on my pants or find one crawling on me. My wife tested positive for Lyme Disease three years ago and has had several attached since so we don't take it lightly to keep the little monsters out of the house (as far as I know I have never been bitten by one). I also use Ben's 100% DEET on my exposed skin (black flies will drive you out of your mind in this area) and a good product called "Herbal Armor" (THE ADMIRAL won't use DEET) that works on mosquitoes and black flies.

When kayaking or sailing I use a product called Sunsect that is a SPF15 sunscreen with DEET in it. Works well for flying pests. Not sure about ticks.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3539 times
    Prospecting
    Not many waders made of rubber, or other non-porous materials anymore. I can easily see Permethrin working on neoprene, or fabric-covered waders, but not sure about rubber, or other non-porous materials. The vapor coming off the treated material is what probably kills or repels the ticks. For that, you need pores in the material to hold the Permethrin. I've never had a tick on me since I started wearing treated clothing during tick season. I had two on me a couple weeks ago, not realizing they were out around here. I keep Heidi current with her oral tick repellant, too. But, it kills them after tbey've already been attached to her, so I worry about her bringing them back to the camper. So, I treat the bedding and sleeping bag, and also the upholstery in the camper.
    Jim

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    2018 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    has anyone here tried eating Sulfur ? it's an old school way of dealing with biting insects. I have not tried it yet but may soon.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/natu...y-zmaz01aszsel

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    3539 times
    Prospecting
    Keep in mind that on non-porous boots, it wouldn't take long at all for the brush to wipe off the Permethrin, or anything else on the boots.
    Jim

Mar 2020
    359 times
    I'm thinking a film of this product should work. This happened on the third consecutive day of complete sopping wet applications to the boots. Minutes after, and not walking through scrubby brush with vegetation rubbing against the boots. I am walking on leaf litter on open forest floor and will occasionally step down a low bayberry bush to cross into another area. I'm totally surprised by seeing this happen. I've lived in a heavy tick area for 25 years and work and play outdoors. It's always a battle. And it could be these Lone Star ticks are a particularly bad menace. They are very mobile and fast, supposedly responding to movement rather than just waiting on vegetation high spots. I have around a half a dozen friends who have contracted the alpha gal disease and cannot eat pork or beef anymore. Plus i find it interesting as I specialized in protozoan diseases, malaria and trypanosomiasis, while living and working in East Africa. I guess a good experiment would be to capture some ticks and try everything from a direct shot to fabric spraying.
    Jim in Idaho likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    1243 times
    Used to use Permethrin and now been trying Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin.
    Eastender likes this.

Apr 2020
    Years ago[15 or so] when my son was young he had a tick attach to the top of his head and begin feeding. We had no idea of course. He luckily had short hair and had come out of the shower and I noticed a big lump on top of his head. So we figure out its a tick and I start freaking out. Heres this bug that has burrowed into my sons head and is eating his brains out!!!! This thing is the size of a dime engorged with blood on top of his head. FREAKY!!! Rush to the hospital and they are like" no big deal " we are seing a lot of them this year. All I can think is they are going to have to drill a hole in the kids head to get that monster out. Or like my uncle in Tennessee used to say, burn it out with a cigarette or something. So I am still freaking out. The Dr. puts the kid in a chair , they get hold of the tic with tweezers and squeeze an alchohol packet onto his head where the tick is. They said the alcohol [liquid] would get in the hole the tick dug and since it will irritate them they will back out of the hole they made. Hence the use of tweezers, they explained once it backed out it would be looking for its next host [victim, food source] to jump onto. Anyway that was my introduction to ticks up here in CHICAGO suburbs. THE KID LIVED!! Harder headed more so now than then. LOL . So for those not familiar with tick removal there is one process here and I am sure there are many more. Everyone take care and be safe. HAPPY HUNTING.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH, Felezjoo
    174 times
    Put a plasic bag filled wit toilet paper soaked with petrol oil in your pocket and see waht will happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links