Should I buy the Garrett ave 400?

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A good friend of mine owns an ACE 300 and loves it! Another machine that you might also consider would be the Nokta Makro Simplex. $340 and you get the machine and wireless headphones. One of the best values on the market today!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the ace 400 it is a great machine easy to learn and a coin/ring magnet. That said, I have the simplex too and the simplex is a superior machine, so unless you can get the 400 at a considerable savings, I'd go with the simplex.

michealwhelan

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2020
Traverse City, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I preferred to buy American so I went with the Garrett APEX. A bit more money but I like the Multi frequency and ground balance features as well as the Iron audio. I am in a lot of different soil types and beach types so the ground balance was a must and the multi-freq Salt were important to me.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apex is [obviously] not even available yet, am hard pressed to recommend a detector that very few have had in hand yet ,,, Will likely get one myself when available and when there are some reviews.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 400 and I find it very limited in performance. This is because of the lack of ground balance. I also do not like the youth arm cuff and heavy standard coil. There are other machines in the same price range that will out perform the 400's function. I will say that Garrett has some very excellent support should you need it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Garrett Apex would be a better choice now over the 400, they are not out yet I believe?, better to wait a little longer then wish you had, I say that Vermont because the Apex operates in a Multi-Freq. where the 400 does not, Multi will handle different ground better, and way better on salt beaches. You could also look at the Minelab Vanquish, it being Multi-Freq. as well, find and compare the two and see what you think. The 400 sounded like a good detector at one time for a fella new to this, but the Apex and Vanqish was not out then, and I think you might get more bang for the buck with one of them. Just a thought.

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a fellow newbie, I suggest you buy used and go with something else in the same price range.

I purchased the Nokta Simplex and did my first 3 hunts with it, simple and effective machine. I was initially wanting the Fisher F75 based on everything that I read and watched, but the price didn't match my needs right now. Then just a week ago, I came across a deal on the Fisher F70 with the extra coils kit for about what I paid for the Simplex and headphones. The Fisher was a Christmas gift that never left the house....a true bargain at $350. I used it today for the first time.....I absolutely love it. It is far more stable than the Simplex (less chattering), feels really well built with the aluminum poles, and did a great job identifying the targets. Even has a better pinpointer.

The Simplex has advantages over the Fisher in that it is waterproof, upgradeable, and LED Light, but I really enjoyed using the Fisher far more. I plan on keeping both for awhile, but had I found the deal on the F70 first, I would not have been tempted by the Simplex.

If the Simplex had a more rigid lower shaft upgrade, a recharge port seperate from the headphone adapter, a smaller coil option (might happen yet), and padded armrest I would have been happier. Still a bargain for so many options, so you can't go wrong with one, but it is probably never going to become your only detector.

OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the great info. It was very helpful! Thank you.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with Milspec6 on the simplex. I would also add a 20 tone audio option. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions