At pro users, question on depth and separation - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: At pro users, question on depth and separation

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2015
    Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
    White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
    465 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've been experimenting with settings and zeroing out the iron disc has helped a ton. I also used 3 plastic zip ties to keep the cord for the coil snug and that's also helped a lot. I'm picking up targets 14 and 16 inches down now. Go slow and pay attention to the sounds as well as the numbers and you will start to see a difference.
    Back-of-the-boat likes this.
    The Finder and Keeper of treasures. Keep a look out for my upcoming metal detecting series The American Dirt Pirates. I just became the proud owner of a bunch of detectors and equipment so I will be making a lot of videos testing out each one of these detectors.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    4485 times
    40 Rounds. Pro mode zero but lower that 35 to about 28. The lower you run this number, the more stuff you will dig. Junk? You bet. Some IHP's and or wheats that are crusty, absolutely, if they are there to be found in the first place. Go 30 if 28 is too much junk. In areas with hardly any targets, I run with iron audio on. It will allow you to hear the small deep stuff. If you get a scratch, slow waaaay down and go over the target to see if you can get a better tone. Run the sensitivity one bar from the highest setting. Raise the sensitivuty up to the highest over a faint deep target to meybe get a little better hit. But, really, just dig it. I dig all deep targets. Many times I am fooled by rust, but this is part of the hobby. If you get the coil over a silver quarter at 8 inches, you'll know it.
    The more you experiment, the more you'll know what the machine can and can not do. I have dug silver dimes that were just a scratch...no high tone. 8 inches is a tough silver dime to find with the AT Pro unless conditions are right OR you know you are in an area where there are deep oldies to be had.

Good luck and have some fun!

us
    Dec 2015
    Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
    White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
    465 times
    I just tried detecting with the sensitivity all the way up and I guess it's different in every area depending on the soil because when I did it I started getting false signals every few inches so I turned it back down. I am picking up deep targets though. The thing that sucks about the area I'm detecting in is that in some spots the ground is really soft sand, but a few yards away the ground is like concrete so I've had to walk away from some signals because I wasn't able to dig.
    Back-of-the-boat likes this.
    The Finder and Keeper of treasures. Keep a look out for my upcoming metal detecting series The American Dirt Pirates. I just became the proud owner of a bunch of detectors and equipment so I will be making a lot of videos testing out each one of these detectors.

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    2813 times
    I've got easy soil here. Sand with maybe 2" to 4" of loose loam on top. I set mine on pro zero, iron disc at 30, max sensitivity unless I'm close to power and then I bump that down about 2 pixels. With those settings I get coins down to a foot, larger targets down to 16". I dug a large hoe blade yesterday that was probably deeper. I've been using the pro for a while and feel pretty confident with it. Mine still has the stock coil. I bought a Super sniper coil and used it once. I thought it would improve the pro but honestly I don't think it did anything better than the stock coil except maybe pinpointing the target. The site I hunt here mostly has areas of trashy iron signals(old farm field), but if there is a high tone anywhere in the grunts, I slow down, if it repeats I dig it. The stock coil will separate good if you know it's actually doing it. You have to trust the machine. When i set the iron disc on 30, with iron audio on, most of the small iron stuff just grunts, so any mid or high tone gets checked for a repeat signal and I dig a bunch of non-ferrous out of the trashy areas. You can usually tell if a target is large iron by getting high numbers and tones but just pinpointing will tell you it's sizable. I dig those knowing it's a piece of bean pot or old stove or just big parts of wagons or such, but I like finding tools and that get me lots of them. It's a great machine. Have not had any problems with it and damned if it ain't really waterproof..

us
    Jul 2020
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Garrett ATPro
    345 times
    I leave the iron coil mostly at its setting of 35. Once in a while I will lower it to 30. But only if there is not much iron around. Unfortunately for you the property you're checking just may not have anything on it or it may have been detected in the past. Adults don't typically lose their change especially when it could buy so much. Kids do as they play with it. So look for places where the kids played or where adults would need to put their hands in their pockets. Best places I have found is where they parked the car, along the walks to the house or garage and at the doors. I find targets up to about 12" regularly. Always manually ground balance your machine each time you turn it on.
    Last edited by Dirty Digger Doug; Sep 02, 2020 at 06:47 AM.

us
    Jul 2020
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Garrett ATPro
    345 times
    There are secondary places to check like a large rock where they may have sat, around the old privy under the biggest trees on the place where a picnic may have taken place When those were small. When you look at a site try to imagine where activities would have taken place. Just remember that the land changes greatly over 1 or 2 hundred years. What you see now may not have been there then.

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4810 times
    If you change coils you need to do a reset.Someone at Garrett a technician I believe told me this, as when I was going from my original coil to my sniper coil it would false and the reason for a reset is because your detector doesn't recognize the new coil as they are different.
    back of the boat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links