Getting closer , going slower but deeper is probably necessary

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a long story short, we have a spot we detect, were covered obvious modern coinage, little study and mapping aloud us to get v and buffalo nickel, Indian head pennies, Wheaties and recently going slower and digging iffy signals has a led us to find Mercury dimes, barber to. My question is the machines we are using are at pro and simplex, maybe not the best what would you all suggest to find more there , better coils or better machine as in minelab 800. Coins are laying in ground on angles and deeper what would you all suggest we have more to find.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having first owned the AT Pro, followed by the Equinox, in my soil, i saw no increased depth. The Minelab did subjectively seem to pick out masked targets better.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is possible deeper is not relevant. Research the property. The old adage applies, it has to be there to begin with.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh it’s there just need a little deeper

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bigger coil would be my next step. I used to bang British and US large cents at 15-18 inches with a 15 inch WOT coil until my arm fell off lol. If they make any of the oblong NEL coils for your machines I'd see if anyone's getting better depth than stock. Read up before you buy.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
100's of hours, even 1000's, in with the same machine that you like, will get you the deeper stuff.

Start by doing this. Ground balance the AT Pro. then, lower the ground balance by say 15. The pinpoint option will probabaly no longer work and you will dig more pull tabs and nickels ringing in high tone, but dig it ALL and you will get the oldies. I have dug IHP's and merc's with the AT Pro that were just a little iron grunt. BUT! that grunt is solid. It is the same length as a dime signal and it is repeatable. Yes, coulda been a rusty nail or a bit of aluminum....
The more you use the same machine, the better you will get with it. Sometimes digging all the trash pays off big time. If you are in an area that you know there are deeper old coins you want to dig, just keep at it and dig all the super deep wispers that act somewhat like a coin.
If you are already digging dimes at 10 to 12" with the standard coil then you are getting the deep stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread