My Metal Detecting Field Kit

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 60 and this fit old goat doesn't want any problems when I go out to enjoy a day of detecting in the field. I strap my Nox 800 to a side clip on my small pack for hands-free hiking. I had the 15" out today with the stock 11" in the pack. I carry food, water, leatherman tool, lighter, disposable orange thin rain poncho, and some basic first aid. My nylon belt sports White's Bullseye TRX pinpointer and digging tool with the latest generation Garmin Montana 700 GPS. (I prefer the TRX over my Minelab Pro-Find 35). They don't make a case for the Montana 700 but I was fortunate that my generic finds bag fits it snugly. I go pretty far into the woods off of the beaten path. For example, today I was out for over 6 hours and walked nearly 7 miles with plenty of hills and revines. I wear an orange hat with type depending on weather, and either an orange hooded sweatshirt or safety vest over my winter coat. It's important to wear orange as I often push game and waterfowl up towards hunters as I walk. I will detect as long as I can break the crust of frost on the soil. The best part about this hobby is that has tricked me into getting into shape. Even the arm swing muscle groups have built up. Happy and safe hunting!

tres175.jpg tres176.jpg tres177.jpg

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You’re well prepared, Eastender.
You are quite bold to hike so far into the woods. I rarely do more than a mile or so. I use a garmin Oregon 700. My own setup is considerably lighter, I use either an XP Orx or Equinox 600. I’d really like to carry my 9mm for protection-and when I’m in PA my home state I can, but I won’t carry that into NJ where I often detect.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago, on Tnet, someone mentioned he carried a side arm for protection against cougers and wolves here in Penna. I didn't have the heart to tell him, neither exit here any more.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are out in the middle of anywhere you should have some type of emergency communication device and gps to help if you get lost or hurt.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set up. Don't forget the TP & hand sanitizer. :icon_thumleft:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m in PA and once I encountered a snake was at least 12 ft long and 4” in girth. Slow moving probably was a pet boa. Another time I saw in the distance an enormous mountain lion- no doubt whatsoever. God knows what else is lurking out there.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m in PA and once I encountered a snake was at least 12 ft long and 4” in girth. Slow moving probably was a pet boa. Another time I saw in the distance an enormous mountain lion- no doubt whatsoever. God knows what else is lurking out there.

There are no mountain lions in Pennsylvania.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are no mountain lions in Pennsylvania.

I beg to differ, they were introduced to control coyotes many years ago and have managed to maintain a modest population. Some are escaped from captivity. I saw it with my own eyes and will never forget it.my wife and I saw one on a different occasion. We know the difference between mountain lions and bobcats too.
Folks may disagree, but lots of things are true that are not supposed to be.

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show me in writing, any report, of where they were introduced into Pa. Also, there are thousands of game cameras out in the woods. Show me a video or still photo of a mountain lion taken in Pa. I have seen people mis ID a raccoon for a badger in Pa. Mis ID a Red bellieed snake for a copperhead snake. Mis ID house cats for bobcats. The list goes on and on. There have been captive mountain lions excaping. THese are very rare occurences. There are no mountain lions in Pa.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread