Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few weeks ago I suddenly developed a problem swallowing, really weird. No pain, irritation, no swelling ect but every time I tried to swallow food or water, especially liquid, it felt like it was going down the "wrong tube", and it was awkward to say the least.
I had myself psyched out and my mouth would alternate between bone dry and a river of spit. At the time I was operating a lift 120 ft in the air so I decided in my condition I was no longer capable of operating safely so I hit the ground with my partner and told him what was going on, had to leave and take some time off work.

I'm convinced it was mostly if not all mental, to make a long story short for a couple days I couldn't eat or drink at all and I'm thinking sheesh, how long before I am in the ER hooked up to a drip tube if this keeps up ? I eventually managed to down some fruits and chicken soup and am even now working my way back towards "normal". Anyhow, my company has a policy that if you have to take time off for work for anything that has to do with not feeling well, then you have to take a covid test before you come back.

So I set up a date at Rite Aid and they do it right through the drive through window. You show up at your appointed time and they pass you a kit, then they instruct you to put on gloves then stick a cotton swab 1.5" up your nose, rotate it for about 15 seconds. I can tell you the process made my eyes water but thats about it. You then seal it in a provided bag and drop it in a box, and wait 2 or 3 days for the results. Mine took 3 days and was negative so I went back to work. Struck me as ironic though, I got tested on a Monday, got results on Thursday and went back to work Friday - Whos to say I didn't get infected on any of the 3 days after the test ?

Seems to me they need to come up with an instant result method for the general public if they want to get a grip on this thing [I think they do have them but are reserved for VIPS]

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was going to get tested for the Kung pao but I chickened out, hehe

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had to google that one [not into chinese food] - You have earned a LOL !

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone called it the "rice rabies"....

X-Ray :
Have you ever had your tonsils out?
Part of one of mine grew back (or was not removed completely) and gets infected sometimes. Tough to swallow due to pain/swelling..

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be nice if those tests had instant results. But then you would miss out on all the anticipation and worry that the delay allows you!

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone called it the "rice rabies"....

X-Ray :
Have you ever had your tonsils out?
Part of one of mine grew back (or was not removed completely) and gets infected sometimes. Tough to swallow due to pain/swelling..

Nope, one of the few kids who never had mine yanked [my sister did].
Could be but as I said, no pain at all or swelling involved, just a paranoiac fear that I'd choke if I swallow. Seems to be getting better, I've progressed from chicken soup and cheese sandwiches to ravioli and potato chips, just had a nice chicken dinner from boston market today with almost a full glass of lemonade.
But when I drive, or when I'm in a store with a mask on, my saliva production goes into overdrive, I think basically my nerves are shot for a variety of reasons, and the excess or lack of saliva caused by my nerve swings is causing the swallowing issue.

Came on all the sudden, had a normal lunch 2 double cheesburgers and fries and a pepsi, got back in the lift to go back to work then my throat dried right up, tried to swallow and couldn't, which caused a bit of panic but I had to maintain my composure as I was operating a lift 100+ ft up, and also didn't want to appear unmanly to my partner ,,, But it got worse and worse to the point that when I forced myself to try to swallow some water I'd drop down to a knee, figuring it would be better if I started going into seizures or something to be close to the lift platform floor. I tried to ride it out over an hour simply by forcing myself not to even try to swallow but paranoia was building up and I finally said screw it, if I'm going to have some episode, don't want it to be up in the air so I started swinging out to go down, my partner said hey what are you doing but at that point I couldn't even talk my mouth was so dry, I just mumbled gotta go down and he figured out I was having some kind of issue.

Been working heights for years, decades even so I don't think being up in the air caused it, I've got 1,000's of hrs operating with no issues, but of course it could be something subliminal, was pretty windy that day and at full extension, they swing around pretty badly. Maybe the cheesburgers were tainted and got some kind of poisoning, all I know is things went south quickly right after that meal.

Yeah I know I should get checked out but with no pain or swelling, no other issues and eating more than enough to sustain myself, now is obviously the worst time to make a hospital visit. I feel pretty damn good, yesterday I probably walked 2 miles to a beach to detect [beach was closed for the season, had to park a ways away then hop a fence to get in], probably walked another 2 or 3 miles detecting the beach [found 3 rings] and today was the best meal with the least issues in a couple weeks, so I think I'm on the road to recovery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been sick before, never got tested. Why now?

Well, I guess the logic is, you could be sick and not know it [asymptomatic] and unknowingly spread it to others [I have heard/read recently that a majority of the infections are spread like this] ,,, So it would be quite an advantage knowing for sure if you are + or not.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I guess the logic is, you could be sick and not know it [asymptomatic] and unknowingly spread it to others [I have heard/read recently that a majority of the infections are spread like this] ,,, So it would be quite an advantage knowing for sure if you are + or not.
I’ve lived on this earth for 58 years, afaik that’s how it’s always been!

A virus so dangerous, you must be tested to know if you have it.

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can test me at the E.R if I become deathly ill , I don't test what ain't broke.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. Don't need a test unless half dead and need to know why. If someone is afraid of me having it and spreading it? Then, stay away from me, I probably don't want you that close anyhow.:laughing7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I was tested; 2 days, later... NEGATIVE. Gotta go back to "Doc" tomorrow AM, for another test & lungs X-rays. CRAP!

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve lived on this earth for 58 years, afaik that’s how it’s always been!

A virus so dangerous, you must be tested to know if you have it.

May be true, but the last pandemic was more than a full century ago so its virtually uncharted territory for us all.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a virus with 99% survival rate.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still a virus with 99% survival rate.

True again, but when you are talking about 100's of 1,000,000's of people, thats alot of corpses.
Maybe we'll all get it, maybe most of us have had it and didn't know, who knows ? We can only take what sensible precautions we can and hope for the best, I personally am not about to stop living for fear of dying.

I'm waiting for them to tell us "Don't even breathe, you might catch the bug !!", then what, sheesh ?

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I had to be tested in August before I could go to work in a federal facility. They swabbed the back of my brain.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest problem with these tests is little to no sterile procedures being used. In Phoenix they were showing the drive thru testing. This nurse (I'm assuming) is standing in a parking lot in scrubs, gown, mask & gloves. The wind is blowing from the back of the line past her while she's holding the swab in the air. She did five cars without changing gloves, in fact there were no boxes of gloves or masks on the table! Can someone explain to me how those tests are accurate?
Honestly? I'm more scared of contracting something from the swab they're almost giving you a lobotomy with than breathing the air at Walmart.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds to me like you had an allergic reaction to something in your food that day, meats have all kinds of hormones added and the animal could have been treated with antibiotics or something before being butchered although they keep good records on meds and how long before they can butcher the animal but mistakes can be made.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No test for me. I don't think I can get covid from a deserted gas station or from dirt in a field or my cats. I haven't really been anywhere for so long I forgot where to go!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also on the testing B.S. if we can get it by getting saliva sprayed on us by someone speaking, laughing or yelling. Why can they not just swab your mouth instead of up your nose the mask's are mandated not just for sneezes but for spittle from the mouth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread