johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to new restrictions within our local city parks,soccer fields, etc. Metal detectors will no longer be allowed to cut coin plugs of any size. >:( As a result of this new rule I have reverted to digging up coins no deeper than 2". My coin probe, (actually an old ice pick) is starting to bend quite easily while trying to pop coins up through the grass roots. The ice pick is perfect for finding coins as it easily penetrates 1"-3". But because it is so thin it will only take so much pushing against it. Any ideas.

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
I use a large flathead screwdriver, similar to the one in the picture. Its shaft is only about a 1/4" thick and about 8" long. It works great. You can really put some pressure on them and they will not bend or break. I use it in well kept yards and usually I can pop the coin up pretty easy without tearing up the grass.

Attachments

• d0f1_1.jpg
    d0f1_1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 422

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this link will help you. I've got one of these but I've never used it. I'm just afraid that when popping the coin out it will get scratched by small rocks. :P

http://ezdigr.com/indexD.html

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
An old screwdriver works perfect for that purpose and you can get coins deeper than 3 inches when you get good at using the screwdriver. I have used the probe/screwdriver method for years with great success. I just takes a little practice and leaves no evidence that you were even there in the first place.

OP
OP
J

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Nice link Whyme. After looking at posts it finally sunk in. :o I have been trying to use my probe as a digger. What a knucklehead ::)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using a screw driver or knife to cut a thin slit over the target then using the driver to pop up the target. Step on the slit and no one can tell you were there.
HH
Bill

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
I use the 88 cent screw driver that is sold at Lowes. It is thin and undestructible.

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
I use a probe to locate the target (and leave the probe in the ground on the target) and then cut a slit on an angle to the bottom of the target, judging by the depth of the probe. I then put a finger into the slit till I find the end of the probe and there's my target. I then get my finger under the target and hold it to my finger with the probe and just slide it out. Step on the slit and you're done. I use to do this with an ice pick that started out about 5 " long. After 30 + years the ice pick is now only about 2" long, it just got filed away by the ground over the years. I now use an 8" coin probe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions