Detector With VDI

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Im trying to educate myself a little bit more. Please tell me all you can about detectors with VDI. Does, for instance, a silver quarter always show the same number so your guaranteed a silver there when you dig? In your oppinion whats the best detector I can get with VDI capability for around the $500.00 range? Thanks for any help so I can make a decission on what I'm going to purchase. Thanks a million, Shane

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
No the VDI on the two machines I hunt with all the time generally shows finds in the same location but they can look and sound different depending on soil, and what kind of trash is in the ground around the target.

I like VDI machines though, they give you some idea what you are digging. A lot depends on where you live. I like my Deleon by Tesoro but I also like the MXT from whites.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You must've fallen prey to the Whites commercial's inference "see what's in the ground before you dig!" ha!

The VDI on ANY machine is not telling what object is there. It's only telling you the object's conductivity (to whatever degree it's getting an accurate reading on, to begin with). So for example, an aluminum can at 1 ft, might have the same conductivity as a quarter at 1". Or a copper car key at 1" may perfectly mimic a quarter's VDI. A gold ring and glob of tin foil can share VDI #s, etc... etc... etc...

The only thing VDI does is give you a tool, that when combined with audio characteristics (size of beep, repeatability, bouncing #s, etc...) tells you a bit about the target you are about to dig. But no, it won't tell you for certain "silver quarter".

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
When I went to upgrade, I started looking at the White's MXT, but chose the DFX for the added configuration abilites and the dual frequency. If I couldn't get the DFX, I would have gotten the MXT. This is after a lot of research. Some people say they're noisy... others say they are "not shy on giving you every detail". Depth wise, I understand they are right up there with all the other big guns. You can get them from ebay for pretty cheap sometimes... just have to be patients.

Just my humble opinion.

edit: Yes, the above poster is correct about VDIs. Although it will not tell you exactly what's in the ground, it will give you a better idea of what your about to dig. I like to see the "spray of sounds" mapped out for me. Especially when its a 'wide' sprectrum vs. a narrow spectrum.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Tom in Ca. That explains why alot of times my detector tells me half dollar when its a coke can squashed. Now I'm even more unsure if I want to spend extra money to get a "better" detector. Wheres the price coming into play? Do they "read" deeper? I am somewhat overwhelmed by the number of different brands and price range. I have gone to a site with reviews on different detectors and brands. Seems they all have something good and bad to say about every different brand ect. So whats in gonna be? A whites with VDI? Guess I need to check out the Kellyco link here. give me some suggestions please.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VDI or no VDI, a lot of it comes down to your skill level. Ive used several of the top machines now and wouldnt go back to a less expensive machine... i like the edge the more expensive detectors give. Its not all hype, there are diffent improvements in the equipment used now over that several years ago. Nothing is fool proof, but everything helps otherwise you spend a lot of time digging junk... the more junk you dig the easier it is for a good machine to come behind you and find the better targets. Thats why you hear no area is ever hunted out.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After years of using an analog machine with no display I broke down and got a VDI machine. No looking back for me. If a target stays at an ID# in the "good" ranges or moves +/- 1 it is a good indication you've got something worth digging. If it hops around it is junk or irregularly shaped (or rusty). Some machines also have a confidence graph that will warn you that, even though it's displaying a conductivity indicating a certain coin denomination it may be "iffy" none the less. Some have so much information they are confusing. Especially if the information is wrong! You still have to carefully ground balance and tune them for soil and conditions. Skip that and you're getting bad data.

While they may drift off "specific" numbers, say "34" for a nickel at 3" may swing to "32" for a similar nickel at 7" on my machine, at least, they read relatively reliably at the depths they register. For months I recorded the readout then dug on ALL hits and tabulated the results. If I want to dig only coins and bypass diging trash I am confident I can. May miss some deeper coins and certainly will miss jewelery that way, but it can be done. I can also tell a Pre '82 Lincoln from a post '82 Lincoln as they have much different VDI numbers . . . but that "trick" may cost you an Indian Head Cent if you decide to skip the zincs.

I don't notch much any more, instead relying on the display and "X"ing hits to compare the audio and the VDI (two different circuits on my F-75). I still dig some trash, but if you want an 1874 5¢ or a 1872 3¢ you will NEVER find one if you ignore the foil range signals.

Detectors are calibrated based on coin size targets at 6" +/- depth. Toss in a whole aluminum can at 3" and it's happy city for the detector. Then it's up to you to get suspicious when the signal is 5" wide instead of a quick "blip" or "oOo" tone. Or if you lift the coil and still get a hit swinging it at 12" ABOVE the ground you should again be a bit suspicious. The VDI is just additional information, and you have to interpret ALL information.

Practice a lot. Dig everything for the first 200 hits or so and stick with it long enough to understand the differences of any machine. A few minutes in a test lot, or worse, in store air tests, will not be fair to any machine.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the newer machines there are two basic types of VDI design

For example,

The Exterras from ML are designed to lock on to the stronger part of the signal to try and give a more stable reading on coin type targets. They are also a bit slower in response for max depth.

Then you have detectors like the Fisher ID Edge that will "read" a targets varying conductivity as you sweep across it. You can see the readings change on isolated non round (non coin) targets as the conductivity changes. Items like brass rifle hulls or pulltabs are two examples of non coin type targets that do this. This type of quick response helps in finding co-located targets but takes some getting used to for maximum results. Some people get it right away and some struggle with these faster machines and prefer the other type (Exterras).

With either type you will get bouncing signals on coins as nothing is perfect when you add the ground response and effects of nearby targets.

The new Fisher F70 intrigues me as they seem to have incorporated both philosophies in the two operating modes.

Tom

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I personally like having the VDI. Remember, these machines are set up for coin size targets. If you have a 1cent VDI of 77 at 2 inches, you dig 4 inches and nothing then you most likely have an aluminum can deep and you can stop digging. A nickle will register at 18-20 solid and a pull tab will usually register 22-24 and jump back and forth. With a tone only you have to dig unless you are an experienced user with a higher end tone machine. With VDI info you don't have to dig. Of course you will also have to consider the area your in. If there is little trash you are going to probably dig the 22-24 hoping for gold but in a trashy area you can ignore them or spend hours digging a pouch full of tabs. On an older site you are going to dig it all anyway so the VDI doesn't really matter as much, Anyway, I do like the VDI info and the bars on the MXT. The more info the better. Hey, get that machine before the Lousiana hunt!

R

robert roy

It also depends on the depth of the target. The machine has said one thing but when I dug it up at five inches it was something else.

Lots of good responses here today!

Regards
Robert R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread