DFX arrived yesterday

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! Sounds like your ready for some great fun and finds!!!

R

robert roy

Whites make good machines. Your going to have a
great time out there!

Regards
Robert R

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Congrats. I fell in love with mine right away. A couple tips I've learned...

- Where ever I go, I try to max out sensitivity with PA and AC. However, a power line (on telephone poles) even 75 feet away will make it bonkers, so you'll have to turn it down. Not just overhead power lines, even power lines underground. Plus, don't expect any real performance inside or even in your yard (all around my house is very 'hot'.
-Learn the 'hot key' for 'backlight' (trigger + menu). Sometimes, I'll tend to stay a little late hunting. Oh, and if you get a small flash light, make sure it has a plastic case so you can clench it in your teeth while digging (yep, I stay real late sometimes).
-Bring both battery packs.
-Learn how to pinpoint really well. I do this by 'detuning' the machine (pull the trigger right over/ very close to the target to 'zero in'. After fully zeroed in, sample the target again. A lot of my 'junk' acts differently when not sampling right over the target. Also, sample it at a different angle.
-I used to use those brick headphones, but now I use very small headphones. It allows me to hear everything just fine, and still be alert to my surroundings. Plus, I can't ever feel they're there. (this is just a personal preference).
-You'll learn to hate pull tabs, aluminum pieces and foil. This is simply the price we pay. I've accepted this fate a long time ago.

OP
OP
doctorbb

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
Thanks for the encouragement. I've used White's machines for 37 years but this one is a whole other animal. I love my Classic III but I hope to get more depth with the DFX. I noticed that the trigger is the same as my Classic. Does it function the same? When it's locked forward is that all-metal mode like my Classic? The instructions don't mention anything about the forward position.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're killing me. My christmas is yet to come. Hopefully tomorrow. Awaiting an MXT.

Oklahunter

Jan 29, 2008
Choctaw, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Bullseye II
doctorbb said:
Thanks for the encouragement. I've used White's machines for 37 years but this one is a whole other animal. I love my Classic III but I hope to get more depth with the DFX. I noticed that the trigger is the same as my Classic. Does it function the same? When it's locked forward is that all-metal mode like my Classic? The instructions don't mention anything about the forward position.

Congrats, doctorbb! I, too, got my DFX yesterday and I had only enough time to fool around in the back yard for a half-hour before dark.

To answer your question, yes - the locked-forward position of the trigger is the same as holding it back; you're in all-metal, pin-pointing mode. Have you gotten the DFX books yet? I've spent the last week or so reading Jimmy Sierra's and Jeff Foster's books (I think the compliment each other), and I'm ready to do some field testing!

Again, congrats to you!

OH

OP
OP
doctorbb

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
Oklahunter said:
doctorbb said:

Congrats, doctorbb! I, too, got my DFX yesterday and I had only enough time to fool around in the back yard for a half-hour before dark.

To answer your question, yes - the locked-forward position of the trigger is the same as holding it back; you're in all-metal, pin-pointing mode. Have you gotten the DFX books yet? I've spent the last week or so reading Jimmy Sierra's and Jeff Foster's books (I think the compliment each other), and I'm ready to do some field testing!

Again, congrats to you!

OH

Congats to you too. I've read Jimmy's book 3 times but haven't gotten Jeff's yet. I went out for a few minutes tonight to run it through the paces. Gonna take some getting used to the threshold. After 10 minutes I shut it off. I'll have to use it a little at a time for a while. Found a penny and quarter which both ID'd right on. I did notice that the signagraph fills up immediately on a strong target. I used the backlight at setting 1 and it seemed to light up the whole park. I can't image how bright it must be on setting 6. Pinpointing doesn't seem near as tight as my Classic III but is still good. In fact, I don't hardly use the pinpoint on my Classic. The response is just so fast with it. I hope I can adjust the DFX to respond the same. Anyway, the first hunt was nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread