Trees
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trees

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2007
    1 times

Trees

How long does a tree live? An apple tree may live to be forty years. the maple dies after fifty to seventy-five years An oak can live for almost three hundred years. The bristlecone pine tree has the longest life span of all. Some bristlecone pines have been alive four to five thousand years!

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    13577 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: Trees

A few years ago, the American Forestry Association did a study on trees and their lifespans. They said that the average life expectancy for a tree (oaks, maples, etc.) in a rural, undisturbed site was about 150 years. The same tree, in the best city location, had an average life expectancy of only 60 years. The average lifespan for the same tree in an urban, downtown area was only 13 years.
    http://www.ces.purdue.edu/vanderburg...ageoftrees.htm
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Jun 2006
    California
    Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
    7 times

Wow...Thanks, I guess there should be some good stuff buried next to a bristlecone pine.
    RD

us
    Dec 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
    10 times

interesting! thanks for sharing that with us.
    ...Wait a minute....just slow down.... you're gonna miss this....you're gonna want this back.....

us
    Feb 2008
    Central MA
    Minelab Sovereign GT
    9 times
    Banner Finds (1)

My best find to date, 1861 Seated Liberty Half Dime, was found at the very base of a big pine tree in the middle of a small park at a dam. I'm 6' tall and it took me 4 double arm stretches to reach around it.
    The coin was less than 1" deep, barely covered with mostly needles touching the trunk. I bet the tree "dug up" the coin as it grew.

us
    Jul 2005
    N Louisiana
    Ace 250
    30 times

There's a pear tree on my friend's farm that's about 110+ years old. In the pasture, which 100 years or so ago was in the yard. It still bears fruit.

Live oak trees in Louisiana live several hundred years and grow tremendously huge. Check out Oak Alley Plantation for pictures.

I have an oak tree (not sure what kind of oak, but not live oak) on my land that is well over 100 years old, with barbed wire embedded in it from when my grandfather ran fencing in roughly 1915. And the wire is embedded not too far in.

Also have a cypress tree that's about 15 feet around with barbed wire embedded in it also, very shallow. We figure it's about 300 years old, if not 2,000. It's a huge thing that some have said was around about the time of Christ. I personally don't know. But they are very slow growers and live for centuries, literally.

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

us
    Dec 2007
    1 times

People that beleve in god say the earth is only 4,000 years old and that pine tree i was talking about is, i think, 5,000 to 7,000 years of age.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle
    There's a pear tree on my friend's farm that's about 110+ years old. In the pasture, which 100 years or so ago was in the yard. It still bears fruit.

Live oak trees in Louisiana live several hundred years and grow tremendously huge. Check out Oak Alley Plantation for pictures.

I have an oak tree (not sure what kind of oak, but not live oak) on my land that is well over 100 years old, with barbed wire embedded in it from when my grandfather ran fencing in roughly 1915. And the wire is embedded not too far in.

Also have a cypress tree that's about 15 feet around with barbed wire embedded in it also, very shallow. We figure it's about 300 years old, if not 2,000. It's a huge thing that some have said was around about the time of Christ. I personally don't know. But they are very slow growers and live for centuries, literally.

us
    Jun 2006
    California
    Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by radarwill
    My best find to date, 1861 Seated Liberty Half Dime, was found at the very base of a big pine tree in the middle of a small park at a dam. I'm 6' tall and it took me 4 double arm stretches to reach around it.
    The coin was less than 1" deep, barely covered with mostly needles touching the trunk. I bet the tree "dug up" the coin as it grew.
    Now that's... what i'm talking about.Cool story!!!!
    makes me want to run out and find a giant tree.

us

Feb 2006
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    13577 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by wvdrummer
    People that beleve in god say the earth is only 4,000 years old and that pine tree i was talking about is, i think, 5,000 to 7,000 years of age.

Don't confuse "people who believe in God" with fundamentalists who take the Bible literally. Christians are like trees: they come in many, many varieties. I believe in God and evolution. How can both be true? Because we don't have all the answers yet . . . maybe we never will. He has the answers, not me, so I let Him worry about it. ;-) There will be only two questions on the test (Hint on question #2 - the Devil believes in God so that doesn't cut it). Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible a LONG time after the events. Weren't no one taking dictation at the time.

That tree's age is nothing. Light travels at 186,000 miles per second in space and we can now see objects more than 10 billion light years away. Get out your calculator and figure how old that light is (how long it took to get to earth). (Hint - 10 billion years).
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Dec 2007
    1 times

the bible was made 2,000 years ago, the book could have changed from then, but you never no, that's what were waiting for "proof".

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY)

Don't confuse "people who believe in God" with fundamentalists who take the Bible literally. Christians are like trees: they come in many, many varieties. I believe in God and evolution. How can both be true? Because we don't have all the answers yet . . . maybe we never will. He has the answers, not me, so I let Him worry about it. ;-) There will be only two questions on the test (Hint on question #2 - the Devil believes in God so that doesn't cut it). Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible a LONG time after the events. Weren't no one taking dictation at the time.

That tree's age is nothing. Light travels at 186,000 miles per second in space and we can now see objects more than 10 billion light years away. Get out your calculator and figure how old that light is (how long it took to get to earth). (Hint - 10 billion years).

Charter Member
    us
    Your Only One Swing Away From An Amazing Discovery

Dec 2006
    Florida
    Library
    124 times

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie great word

WV the new testament started roughly 2000 years ago, the old testament is much much older.
    Your Discovery Has History Count On It
    Enjoy the dig, treasure the time

us

Feb 2006
    13577 times
    Metal Detecting

Actually, which documents were to make up the new Testament was "officially" decided on in 367AD (27 different documents brought together for the first time then). The first five books of the Old Testament are often attributed to Moses sometime around 1100BC. (But since they include the death of Moses there had to be multiple authors). The Bible is made up of dozens of books, documents and letters, in many languages, that were written at various times. Some manuscripts and texts were kept and some were not (that's a bit scary). It wasn't until 1382 that the first single language translation Bible was published (handwritten in Latin) pretty much in the form we now have, Gutenburg churned out the first type printed versions in the 1450's, and the first full English version wasn't published until 1535.

And, IMHO, that's why it's dangerous to take everything literally.

us
    Apr 2007
    Porter, Texas
    ACE 250 - VibraProbe
    42 times

I just saw a story the other day on the bristlecone pine.
    The tree being filmed was estimated to be 5,000 years old, and it is still a fertle mertle.

Ima
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of BURIED TREASURE BABY!!!
    Lead me to the BOOTY Rudy2003 !!!

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    865 times
    TH'ing, fishing, reading, cooking

Charlie I'm glad to see someone else w/ the same view.

I am a tree hugger, specially when I find a good coin by it!
    dancing in the fire!

us
    CS IS NEXT

Nov 2005
    PA-MD
    Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
    1675 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear
    Charlie I'm glad to see someone else w/ the same view.

I am a tree hugger, specially when I find a good coin by it!
    I'm a tree hugger too mama!....Especially when it has a fresh scrape next to it within 30 yd's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links