Demo Model vs. New in Box? UPDATE March 6th! The deal is done!

When purchasing a metal detector would you buy a demo model vs. a new one in the box?

• Yes I would not hesitate to buy a demo if it saved me money!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I would be hesitant to buy a demonstration model.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am in the market for a new White's DFX. I called a local dealer and the only one they have is a demo "in great shape", which they will sell for $875. I have not heard back yet regarding if it was used for in-store or outdoor demos and what is included and information about the warranty.

My question is should I spend the extra $200 and get a new in box package with all the extras from a company like KellyCo, or is this a great deal if the unit is in "great shape"?

What would you do?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Demo Model vs. New in Box?

I would buy the demo ONLY if it came with full warranty.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI: This depends entirely upon the dealer. I had complete success / satisfaction with "Prospector49 er" on Ebay. In fact, he went out of his way to expedite the order since I only had a short time in the US.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Same with me . . . . ;)

HH

PTP

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Have bought 4 used detectors and had no problems whatsoever. Paid used prices that were moderate enough I felt it worth the expense if I would have had to send them in for repair, but fortunately at this date I haven't had to do that.
HH
Bill

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

which DFX is it ? is it the original with the rainbow on the coil ? if so it's not worth what he asking. if it's the newer model with the 950 coil and full warranty with all the accessories as sold by whites it would be a good deal even if it is a demo
JMO

Sniffer

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Sniffer said:
which DFX is it ? is it the original with the rainbow on the coil ? if so it's not worth what he asking. if it's the newer model with the 950 coil and full warranty with all the accessories as sold by whites it would be a good deal even if it is a demo
JMO

Sniffer

Sniffer,

What was the other model called? How can I tell the difference? What size coil was the original coil? How long ago did they change the model?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

not sure when they changed, the older style has a rainbow on the coil and says spectrum DFX. the newer model says spectrum DFX on the side of the control box, it also has updated software ver. 1.1

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Sniffer said:
not sure when they changed, the older style has a rainbow on the coil and says spectrum DFX. the newer model says spectrum DFX on the side of the control box, it also has updated software ver. 1.1

Is the new one the "E" Series ?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I'm not really sure what makes it an E series. I looked at my book and I was wrong the ver. is 1.0 and when you power it up the lcd reads spectrum DFX

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

luvsdux said:
Have bought 4 used detectors and had no problems whatsoever. Paid used prices that were moderate enough I felt it worth the expense if I would have had to send them in for repair, but fortunately at this date I haven't had to do that.
HH
Bill

That's a different question. A used detector at 50% off the new price is different from a demo detector at 85% of the new price. I bought my Minelab used and it has worked out very well for me.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Charlie P. (NY) said:
luvsdux said:
HH
Bill

That's a different question. A used detector at 50% off the new price is different from a demo detector at 85% of the new price. I bought my Minelab used and it has worked out very well for me.

I agree. I have bought used detectors on eBay and have not had problems. I try to buy from other hobbyists, not from someone selling it saying "I don't know about these things, but it turns on".

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

I'd get the demo for the $200 savings...........more so if it comes with some type of warranty.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY) said:
I would buy the demo ONLY if it came with full warranty.
;)

holedigginfool

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida

I have done exactly what you are thinking of, from the dealer you mentioned, full warranty, and I could not tell the difference from new. Even the packaging looked brand new. The warranty card and instructions were unopened. Ask for Dennis.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, as a result of the post I got a private message from a user from the forum. He had a mint condition with most of the Warranty still left on it. I ended up buying it and don't regret it at all!

I got plenty of extras including the 12" coil, and by not using eBay he was able to sell it for less than he would have gotten from eBay, but ended up making more after what the fees would have been. The savings were passed on to me, and everyone made out great!

I tested the unit yesterday, and a bit today and it seems to be PERFECT!

Thanks Jay!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread