I want to be a archaeologist

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tunnels have been discovered in Chinatown here dating back to the 1800s. Some of us knew of them but could not gain access to them until maybe now. Gambling, drinking , drugs and prostitution was the norm at the turn of the century in these tunnels. Rumour has it 2 men are still seated at a table dead for years because of lack of oxygen. Archaeologists are going to explore the tunnels for the 1st time in many years. I know of 2 entrances one is welded shut. The building over one of the entrances was owned by a hitman. Just think of the possibilities.

Attachments

• 27_bc_ca__secrettunnels3_large.jpg
    27_bc_ca__secrettunnels3_large.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 278
OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another pic

Attachments

• fresno-tunnelsx-large.jpg
    fresno-tunnelsx-large.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 219

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Looks like a made for TV spectacular with Geraldo Rivera

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat.

Locally we had a lot of flooding in April and June of 2006 and a local bar had a cellar wall partially collapse. It was a tunnel to a 20 ft square room under what was noa a parking lot that had distilling equipment and 1920's clutter . . . at least that's all the owner mentioned. Last I knew he was trying to get permission to use it as a private party room for dinner guests . . . but being so far off premises and way out of code he's having problems.

You just never know.

There are whole rivers and pre-subway railroad tunnels that have disappeared under New York City. Think what may be down there.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be an adventure, exploring old tunnels like that. I could do something like that for the rest of my life.
I've heard of some old tunnels under San Fran but your second picture has Fresno in the title. Are those from Fresno?

Good show on the history channel - Hidden Underground - I think it is called. Guy travels the world searching old cities.

Keep us posted
Thanks
Steve

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe the history ran a show on it already,cool stuff

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the tunnels are in Fresno Chinatown and a select few have been inside. Only recently interest in downtown has unearthed stories of the old days. Fresno had a bad habit of tearing down old buildings and not thinking of their historical value. During the contruction of a baseball stadium for the farm team of the S. F. Giants relics were found but thrown away. I fear the only way to perserve history is to form a team of archaeologists to inspect sites before building. In Bakersfield Ca. two women inspect future building sites for evidence of the Yokut tribe that lived in the valley. I would love to get my MD in the tunnels for a chance of finding gold coins...aa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread