Treasure Hunting With Friends and Relatives,What if????

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
Though some of you say there are unwritten rules, it's best that something is said just to avoid hard feelings. Whether you are the host or guest, it's best to mention, "How do we work this? Whatever you find you keep or shall we divvy up the finds unless it's a cache?" Also, be careful who you invite. Do you mind if they come back on their own or bring others without telling you? Out of respect for my friend, I've intentionally avoided a site that he previously showed me. Others have not and I know that doesn't sit very well with him.

wazonme

Nov 19, 2007
reedsburg wisconsin
Detector(s) used
white dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Share and share alike, that partner just might come out with you again and again and you could find some good stuff, and a good friend in the process, it shouldn't be about money, remember this is a hobby with the hope of finding a lost cache or something. And chances are better when you double up. Also good friends in my eyes are worth more than all the lost caches in the world.

drywasher

Feb 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say i mostly hunt alone.
i do this not because of greed BUT if a GOOD find is made...........
the first rule: keep your mouth shut and your head down...is not possible if more people than you know about it!!
the times i have hunted with others, we have always gone by the rule if you find it it's yours... that's not to say you can't share it if you want.
talk it over first , decide what to do & go by it.. i'm sure it will help put and end to hurt feelings.
IMHO george

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Whenever I hunt with someone I go over the rules with them to start with.

1. Dig your holes and fill em in
2. Leave no trash behind, you dig it you carry it out
3. If I have gotten permission to hunt the site and I bring you along you may NOT come back without me.
4. Whatever you dig you keep unless the owner has made requests otherwise.
5. If a big cache is found then I would like, but do not demand a small share of the finds. If I were to find a cache I would give a portion of it to whomever I was hunting with if it was more than a few coins.
6. If I ask you to leave no matter the reason you will leave when asked. (I have had to do this once because of disrespect to the property we were hunting)
7. When metal detecting that is the only activity you can do on property I have gotten permission for. No going through out buildings or looking through trash cans etc. (sound stupid but trust me)
8. When hunting a site park in such a manner as to not block traffic or the property owner's ability to get in and out of their property.
9. Hunt only the area approved of by the land owner. No straying!
10. When the hunt is over it's over. You will leave when I leave.

I know it sounds stupid to have to make all the rules but you would be surprised how much trouble you can cut out by laying down some ground rules prior to starting.

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
This summer [ if it ever gets here] a friend and i ae going to a spot
in another state that i have done a lot of research
on and we are splitting expenses.If we [either one of
us]find any of what we are looking for iit will be
split 50/50. That is the way it should be on
anything other than anything under say $50 value.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
when i hunt with friends and my brother, i am genuinely happy for them when they find good stuff. its all part of the game. sure i want to find good stuff too, but watching someone else score big is the next best thing in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions