Old photos - wonder what year?

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
When my wife and I moved into our house five years ago we found that the previous owners had left some surprising old photos of our house on the counter. I thought you guys would get a kick out of the photos and maybe give me a guess as to the year they were taken by the car pictured in the one.

Another interesting thing I've found, aside from the old Winchester I mentioned in another thread, is a passage in a book on the area that makes me believe that either our house or the house next door in the first picture once belonged to Klondike Kate, a famous woman from the Alaska gold rush. The house next door is no longer standing, so it's hard to tell which of the two was being described as "south of the christian church" in the book.

Anyway, they're fun pictures, especially now that I've scanned them and can zoom in. There are chickens in the second and a woman walking by out on the road in the third. Hope you all enjoy. :)

Attachments

• house-front.jpg
    house-front.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 275
  • house-swcorner.jpg
    house-swcorner.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 265
  • house-rear.jpg
    house-rear.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 257
OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Oops! Guess I forgot to mention that the photos were taken just after a fire that took off much of the back half of the house. I've scoured old papers, but haven't found mention of the fire. Any vintage on that car might be a help me narrow my search.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
What a great old house!! Thanks for posting the before pics....you were right, I definitely got a kick out of them and am really looking forward to seeing the after pics since I know how much work you two have been putting into your home. Thanks so much for sharing them! Will be interesting to find out more of the history of the house and if Klondike Kate did, in fact live there! Tooooo cool!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the car is about a 1938 maybe a Buick or LaSalle.

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Thanks all!

l.cutler said:
I believe the car is about a 1938 maybe a Buick or LaSalle.

I think you're very close with '38 Buick, but the front fender is a bit shorter on the one in the photo. I think they get a little shorter as the '40s approach.

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 222

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Okay....here is a 36 Ford Coupe....a 36 Dodge Coupe and a 38 Dodge coupe....which looks closest??

Attachments

• 36fordcoupe.jpg
    36fordcoupe.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 36dodge.jpg
    36dodge.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 250
  • 38dodge.jpg
    38dodge.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 245
OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Okay, we've got some great guesses, but I think the Dodges ('36 and '37) most closely match the photo. Here are a couple of reasons why:

1. The headlights come out of the top of the front fenders, not off the side of the hood/engine compartment.

2. There is a line of trim along the side that curves down under the rear side window. This is missing on the Buicks.

3. The trim line on the '38 curves down much more subtley than the earlier years.

4. There's the correct hump and tail lights at the rear.

Here's a '37: http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/Dodge37.jpg

And a '36: http://www.jonajackson.com/images/36 dodge150.JPG

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I say '36 and didn't have to wait for Dad to get back from Amsterdam either! lol I thought it looked close to the coupe him and I worked on when I was in high school! ;D

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eathan said:
Oops! Guess I forgot to mention that the photos were taken just after a fire that took off much of the back half of the house. I've scoured old papers, but haven't found mention of the fire. Any vintage on that car might be a help me narrow my search.

Have you thought about the Historical Society? (I'm sure you have). Might pay a visit to your fire Dept. They might have some call records, or be able to put you in touch with somebody retired that was there when it burned.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Who knows on the photo... might have been taken in the '50s with an old '38 car parked out front.

This is true. Also, the driver's door handle appears to be drooping a little bit. Those style door handles would droop after years of use because of wear and a weakening return spring. My estimate would be from about 1943 to 1958 time frame.

Did you notice the clothes line in the second photo? Have you detected along that area?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread