Questions about metal detecting in ukraine

Carp

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
Hey guys , I'm new to this board although I've probably been reading for a year or so. Next summer I'm going to my home country of Ukraine and right near my town there is a site where in 1709 the battle of Poltava took place. All around this area is a WW2 battle field so I'm worried about mines and stuff like that. Ive been reading around and it looks like alot of people here use detectors in the 700+ dollar range. Will a 200 dollar detector like the garret ace 250 still find old coins from the 1700's ? I don't want to buy a detector ,but not find anything because it is all too deep... And if I find a mine how would I distinguish it or just have the detector ignore it ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MINES :icon_scratch: Even the less expensive detectors can find a mine, and I wouldn't disc them out if I could. I do not want to be probing for one to id it either. You can compare the size with the coil, but I don't know if the detector would even set it off as I have been out of the "Blowing things Up Loop" for a while. Some of the newer mines aren't detectable.

The Ace 250 should be deep enough for old coins but it depends on how deep they are. The Ace doesn't have a Ground Balance and in bad ground it may not be deep enough.

Mines huh? I think I would find another hobby................ :wink:

OP
OP
C

Carp

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
Oh these aren't new mines , they are from the 1940's. I just want to know how I can prevent myself from digging up a mine and blowing myself up.

OP
OP
C

Carp

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
Oh and what is ground balance and if I need it which detector under 300 bucks would be best for general coin/jewelry hunting ?

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Re: Questions about metal detecting in Ukraine

Ask the locals. If there have been any problems with old landmines, they'll know about it. I don't know if mines were used that much for alot of those WW2 battles, or if most of it was infantry, artillery and tanks. Certainly a chance of finding unexploded shells, depending on what happened there.

OP
OP
C

Carp

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
Re: Questions about metal detecting in Ukraine

What about detecting in /around fresh water ? I have heard detecting around salt water causes problems with this detector , would there be any problems in fresh water?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread