Anyone use the Gator digger?

The Hunter

Sep 25, 2007
Forney, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I have one of the Gator diggers that Kellyco makes and I manage to bend it about every other hole I dig. I realize the dirt I digging in is a little hard but these are manicured soccer fields in a local park. After every few holes I have to put my foot on it and straighten it out. I used a friends lesche before and I don't remember ever having that problem. Has anyone else encounter this?

Hunter

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one and bent it about 8 months ago. My wife bought me the Ames digger and I am very happy with it.

Attachments

• indexCAT6QK3R.jpg
    indexCAT6QK3R.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 322
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Funny, the tip of my gator digger got rounded off from use, it never bent. I didn't know how to sharpen it so I bought the Ames that everyone talks about and mine broke 3rd time out. I was prying some dirt out of a hole and the plastic handle cracked along a seam and came right off the rest of the tool :icon_scratch:. Now I know how the baseball players feel when they break a bat and are left holding a nub of the bat.
Glenn

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Ames and seemed to work pretty good down here but I ended up getting a lesche and never had a problem with it...but there was a difference in price too.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be extra hard on your tools to bend a gator digger that many times, or else they are making them cheaper now. I've had one many years and don't remember ever bending it. Now days however I use a Fiskar trowl.

Attachments

• Fiskar Trowel.jpg
    Fiskar Trowel.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 356
  • Fiskar Trowel.jpg
    Fiskar Trowel.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 303

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well I don't want to make ANYONE mad but we had 4 and ALL 4 were made of flimsy material that bent anytime you dug a hole.

Sorry but you just can't beat the Lesche.

I do have the Ames and I had a Fiscar but the Fiscar broke and the Ames was kind of hard to dig with in dry soil.

RandyNorthridgeCa

Mar 27, 2005
Northridge, Calif.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F-75, SE, explorer 2 on beaches), CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine bent too. Guess that's why they send them with the detector for free ???. Bite the bullet and buy a good digger.

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gator Diggers have a limited lifetime warranty call us at 800-898-6673 to get it replaced.
JW

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
That's how I ended up with 4 different ones. The first one bent so I called and they replaced it. Did that a few more times.

Now my daughter has the digger in her pouch, she doesn't detect much so it works ok for her. But I have NEVER had a minutes problem with my Lesche or Little Eagle Digger! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
The Hunter

The Hunter

Sep 25, 2007
Forney, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Jdubya said:
The Gator Diggers have a limited lifetime warranty call us at 800-898-6673 to get it replaced.
JW

I guess I need to just bite the bullet and get a lesche. I liked the gator because it was serrated on both sides. I used it this morning and had to straighten it after nearly every hole. What a pain.

I saw the lifetime warranty, but it's for the original owner. I got mine used off of eBay. Besides I don't need another one to bend.

Hunter

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Get the Lesche and then do a little modification to it the way you want it. Just be sure not to heat up the blade or you'll lose the temper of the steel.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After quite a few years I finally broke down and got a Lesche from jdubya. It is by far the best digger I have ever owned.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
yes i have a idea for you go to lowes or home depot and get a fiskars tool from the garden area that is what i use will just need a little epoxy in the handle so i wont slip off

scubamike

Sep 1, 2008
Spring/The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter/Garrett GTI 2500
I bought the new minelab digger. It was not as expensive as the others and it has done a good job so far. I put some pressure on it today digging out some rock and it held up well. I don't use the serrated edge much. I carry a set of small branch clippers and they solve any cutting problems I have.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and it's a nice little digger. I think any digger will eventually succumb to my
hellish treatment, but for now it's holding up very well. I always carry 3 or 4 different
diggers with me just in case.

HH,
Ramapirate

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first Gator came with one of my detectors from Kellyco. It bent after only a couple of weeks. I called Kellyco and 3 days later receive a new one. So far this one hasn't bent and seems to be a little stronger. Monty

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
The gators I used all seemed to be made out of soft metal. Not tempered at all.

Maybe just a bad batch.

BrotherAl

Dec 24, 2010
Bartonsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 and Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought one in august of last year. The rubber handle is shot and is creeping down the handle. Thanks to the post who provided the toll free number to get it replaced. I have dug lots of rocks and it has not bent yet.

BrotherAl

I have one of the Gator diggers that Kellyco makes and I manage to bend it about every other hole I dig. I realize the dirt I digging in is a little hard but these are manicured soccer fields in a local park. After every few holes I have to put my foot on it and straighten it out. I used a friends lesche before and I don't remember ever having that problem. Has anyone else encounter this?

Hunter

BrotherAl

Dec 24, 2010
Bartonsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 and Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thx for this number...Kellyco is a bit slow on their response.
BrotherAl

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolute GARBAGE. You can't put ANY stress on it, it will bend at the drop of a hat.

Spend the extra money and get a Lesche. I have had one for almost ten years now,and it's still going strong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread