Clay Pipe Trivia

S

stefen

Recently, I found that as late as the 1800's in the United States there were public smoke houses where one could pick up a clay pipe and smoke it.

Apparently, the pipe had long stems and as each new smoker used the pipe, he would break off the end and get a fresh bite.

Hence, the reason why only pipe bowls are found.

Comments please.

K

Kentucky Kache

I wonder what kind of baccer they used. ;D

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Apparently, the pipe had long stems and as each new smoker used the pipe, he would break off the end and get a fresh bite.
=========================================================================
I've also read the same thing, I even bought one as a souvenir years ago at one of the historic forts here
in west. Pa. . On the box it explained that breaking off the stem was the customary way, even for clay
pipes used in the home.

What kind of baccer? They did grow a lot of hemp for rope & animal feed, you don't suppose those
folks would do such a thing as 'puttin that in their pipe & smokin it' . Do you ?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my first clay pipe earlier this year and I really did not know much about them...I still don't. I love that fact that most were stamped with makers marks that allow you to research who made the pipe and approximately when it was made. Off the top of my head I don't recall all that information for my pipe although it was late 1800s and made for export in Scotland and found here in New Jersey. Enjoy the pic.

P4200784.jpg

NJ

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
i found a complete one inside a larve and plaster wall i was knocking down once, which mean't it was dropped in there by the plasterers labourer as he was nailing the larves to the wall about 130 years ago! i think my missus has thrown it out in the last week whilst organising our new kitchen >:(

any tips on how best to deal with her?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread