Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Charl
  • 1 Post By The Grim Reaper
  • 1 Post By Charl

Thread: I got a couple of questions about a couple of rocks

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2016
    955 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I got a couple of questions about a couple of rocks

I found these this weekend digging around a creek in central Alabama
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1479259635404.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	1381740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1479259841647.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	1381741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1479259928379.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	1381742  

Nov 2016
    955 times
    Is the first two pictures possibly a cutting tool........ And is there anything the other one would have a hole in it besides erosion

Nov 2016
    955 times
    Side of the other

Name:	1479261048997.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	1381750  

Nov 2016
    955 times
    Maybe?

Name:	1479261205125.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	1381752  

Charter Member

Nov 2013
    1784 times
    They look like native American stones. But they are not. It either French Jesuit or the other order from the area. I'm having a senior moment. I can't remember they name. Starts with a C. Oh well. Nice find . It's common in the state your in.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    5132 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jiFfM.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	1381944
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

Nov 2016
    955 times
    I don't think a French Explorer/missionary made them but I looked it up and they were for sure in the area and had a lot to do with the tribes around here....

us
    I collect Artifacts and Vintage Collectibles and Rocks.

Aug 2012
    South
    Coin Finder
    8468 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coosakid View Post
    I don't think a French Explorer/missionary made them but I looked it up and they were for sure in the area and had a lot to do with the tribes around here....
    So i would be happy to share some knowledge with you but 1st I need to know what state you are in and maybe the county.
    Personal finds were on private property which I have permission to hunt.
    Best bug repellent I have ever used bugband.net check it out.

Charter Member

Nov 2013
    1784 times
    I know Grim ,your flopping around like a fish out of water. He lives in my state. The natives would make them a little better. There shape tells me who made them. You should be able to tell. There is the possibility of one of them being native. That would be the first one.

us
    Jan 2012
    Rhode Island
    2912 times
    Relic Hunting
    As has happened on many occasions in the past, we are witnessing the so-called Dunning-Kruger effect in this thread:

Dunning-Kruger effect - RationalWiki

The Dunning-Kruger effect, named after David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University, occurs where people fail to adequately assess their level of competence — or specifically, their incompetence — at a task and thus consider themselves much more competent than everyone else. This lack of awareness is attributed to their lower level of competence robbing them of the ability to critically analyse their performance, leading to a significant overestimate of themselves.

In other words, somebody has no idea what they are talking about, yet still feel free to offer their nonsense as a reasonable answer....
    justonemore likes this.

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    5132 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charl View Post
    As has happened on many occasions in the past, we are witnessing the so-called Dunning-Kruger effect in this thread:

Dunning-Kruger effect - RationalWiki

The Dunning-Kruger effect, named after David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University, occurs where people fail to adequately assess their level of competence — or specifically, their incompetence — at a task and thus consider themselves much more competent than everyone else. This lack of awareness is attributed to their lower level of competence robbing them of the ability to critically analyse their performance, leading to a significant overestimate of themselves.

In other words, somebody has no idea what they are talking about, yet still feel free to offer their nonsense as a reasonable answer....
    We have a winner folks!! Great answer. Jesuit my ass. lol
    jmaschal likes this.
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

Nov 2016
    955 times
    Lol...... I see my couple of rocks made a splash... Didn't think a whole lot about them , just curious, .... You never know,,,, and still don't lol

Charter Member

Nov 2013
    1784 times
    You should not use word like that Grim this is a family oriented site. You still don't have a clue about how talented this priest were. Charlie that sword cuts both ways. Do you guy know anything about their history here in the states Or around the world? If you did you would know they spent their time with the Natives.

us
    Jan 2012
    Rhode Island
    2912 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodsbob View Post
    You should not use word like that Grim this is a family oriented site. You still don't have a clue about how talented this priest were. Charlie that sword cuts both ways. Do you guy know anything about their history here in the states Or around the world? If you did you would know they spent their time with the Natives.

Well, Bob, in fact I'm sure you know quite a bit about the Jesuits during the Contact and Colonial Era of North America. It's rocks that you interpret as having something to do with the Jesuits where you go off the rails. Yet, in each and every instance, you present yourself as if you knew better then anyone else. Indeed, you present your notions as if everyone else needs to somehow ascend to your level of understanding regarding these rocks. Yet, we all can see that you're presenting a delusional point of view. And you don't realize it. Hence your approach falls under the heading of an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. You know far, far less then you think you know. But you don't realize that. Hence you waste everyone's time with nonsense observations connecting rocks to Jesuits. It is you who has a lot to learn, if only you knew!

"Those who think they know never learn."
    —from the Tao Te Ching

us
    Jan 2012
    Rhode Island
    2912 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by coosakid View Post
    Lol...... I see my couple of rocks made a splash... Didn't think a whole lot about them , just curious, .... You never know,,,, and still don't lol
    The first and third rock resemble quartzite, and the second rock looks like quartz. I would not rule out that they assumed their appearance via flaking by humans. They may be flakes resulting from the manufacturing of stone tools by Native Americans.
    astralea1692 likes this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links