All Treasure Hunting

Lonestar

Feb 20, 2006
Muncy, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ghost town north or south of present day Sizerville??? and when did it burn down???

Should have asked my wife, she says Gardue was the one burnt down and its a ghost town ttoo located not too far from sizerville, guess I wait till next time up and ask Aunt Lulu about this if she is still around .......... state park also just a little north of present day sizerville, take a can of sunshine with ya cause this place is so far in the mountains they gotta pipe it in.

John in Muncy Pa.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lonestar said:
The ghost town north or south of present day Sizerville??? and when did it burn down???

My records say 1897 But what's a Decade ?

Lonestar said:
Should have asked my wife, she says Gardue was the one burnt down and its a ghost town ttoo located not too far from sizerville, guess I wait till next time up and ask Aunt Lulu about this if she is still around .......

"Gardeau" Latitude N41 37.267' Longitude W78 13.445
about 5 Mile S.W. of Keating Summit, on the Railroad & T470

I have listed as a Ghost Lumber town But no Mention of a fire.
Although that dosn't mean there wasn't one there also.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Sizerville never burned down, and I can find no record of Gardeau burning down. Individual buildings burned down, which included sawmills in both villages. Sizerville was founded in 1828, which was called Prestonville at the time. The main draw at Sizerville was the mineral water. People came from all over to drink and bathe in the water, which they thought had medicinal qualities. I have drank this water and it has a sulfer, rotten egg oder. The water was bottled and shipped out. The springs ran from 1887 to 1920 when it was sold. Sizerville and Gardeau are not ghost towns, they just slowed down. Families still live at both locations and there is a subdivision going up at Sizerville. There is supposed to be silver buried at Gardeau that was hidden by a pirate named Blackbeard in the year 1812. Has it been found? No one has claimed of ever finding it. A lot of the property is posted against trespassing at both locations. I do have permission to dig at the mineral spring property which included a hotel, houses and a sawmill, but won't have time untill this fall.

Potter Poker

Jan 29, 2007
Potter County, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey Lumbercamp,
I plan on poking around Gardeau myself, along with a man that has lived right there since 1959. He knows where some of those old buildings were. Would you be interested in getting together to scout around the area this year?...potter poker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread