Arizona Ghost towns

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I have an old copy of Arizona Highways specifically dedicated to ghost towns that I really won't use anytime soon. If you want it, send me an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Ghost towns listed:

Charleston
Congress
Courtland
Dos Cabezas
Duquesne
Ehrenburg
Gila city
Gillett
Gleeson
Gold Road
Hardyville
Harshaw
Helvetia
Jerome
Johnson
Kofa
McCabe
McMillen
Metcalf
Mineral Park
Mohave city
Mowry
Oatman
Oro Blanco
Paradise
Pearce
Signal
Silver King
Stanton
Walker
Washington
White hills

Attachments

• Arizona.jpg
    Arizona.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 2,106

IrishCharlieM

Oct 20, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
My son and I just recenty returned from a cross country trip with a loaded U-haul.

We flew to San Diego picked up a bunch of stuff we left there back in 99. And drove back. We went I-8 to the 17 to the 40. He found it amazing how many towns we saw along the way that just closed up. Alot in Arizona and New Mexico, we didn't have our rigs with us. But I could see him drooling out the window all the way.

One of our stop's was Camp Verde Ariz. He spent a good hour walking aroun the parade field at the Fort wishing he had his detector.

We also stopped for gas at one point and saw this ruin of what were told by a local was one of the first Apache / Christian churchs. The state does nothing to preserve it. And mother nature is just having here way with. We drove a good mile down old Rte 66 to get to it. and we got there they had No tresspassing sign's as well as Ratlle Snake warning signs.

Attachments

• ERIC CROOK TRAIL.jpg
    ERIC CROOK TRAIL.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,542
  • Ruins2.jpg
    Ruins2.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 2,170
  • Ruins Arizona.jpg
    Ruins Arizona.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 2,397

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010
You forgot: (mining/ghost Towns)

Apache Junction
Ajo
Arivaca
Bullhead City
Benson
Bisbee
Clifton
Chloride
Globe
Hayden
Miami
Morenci
Quartzsite
Superior
Tubac
Tombstone
Yuma

papajos

Feb 11, 2009
I've poked around a few of the Az ghost towns. Been down in a few of the old abandoned mines too. Lived in Cochise for a bit, Benson too. Many times to Gleason (love that Rattlesnake ranch), Pearce and others. Miss it out there...need to get back soon. Thanks for the reminder.

icyman61

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you use a detector at the fort? Im looking for places to use my detector here.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
didn't know superior was a ghost town...guess i should call some friends an tell them they are dead...

using a metal detector in many of the ghost towns listed, will cause you to have a long interview with the local smokies.
silver king is an impressive pile of junk...CLOSED, mighty fussie people own the place. sure would have loved to see that pile of silver before it was torn up...

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Question for anybody and everybody out there. Does anyone know the name of the Steve McQueen movie that was film in Helvetia, Az back in the 60's?

hudsonc

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quicksilver want a Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for anybody and everybody out there. Does anyone know the name of the Steve McQueen movie that was film in Helvetia, Az back in the 60's?

You could google what you do know about it

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Tried that but does say where they're filmed at. Unless someone knows I'll just have to buy all the ones he did in the 60's.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
hey icyman , what fort are you talking about

He's talking about Fort Verde.

No Icyman you can't MD there. If you do they will tie you to the post and shoot you! If you do decide to, please let me know. I've never been to a firing squad before.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the original camp verde was north of the river...east of wet beaver creek...

and no you can not access the area for treasure hunting...

don't know why people continue to call these camps "FORTS", Arizona did not have any forts...

CAMP VERDE is on the signs...named correctly
Fort Whipple in Prescott was not a fort during military operations, only after WWI when it was a hospital, did it gain the Fort name, but never the status.
Fort Whipple, Arizona

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
It is called Fort Verde. Its name was changed from Camp Verde to Fort Verde in 1879 to give it permanence. There's also Ft Lowell, Ft Bowie, Ft Huachuca. I agree they should not be call forts because Arizona never had any actual forts. Fort means to fortify or fortification. They were all camps whether they were permanent or not. Hollywood was always good at showing actual forts in Az in their movies. Never happened. Just like Old Tucson use to have a fort build for a movie set. Fake! There was one fort that the Spanish built called the Presidio long before Arizona became a territory. It was where downtown Tucson is now.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
It is called Fort Verde. Its name was changed from Camp Verde to Fort Verde in 1879 to give it permanence. There's also Ft Lowell, Ft Bowie, Ft Huachuca. I agree they should not be call forts because Arizona never had any actual forts. Fort means to fortify or fortification. They were all camps whether they were permanent or not. Hollywood was always good at showing actual forts in Az in their movies. Never happened. Just like Old Tucson use to have a fort build for a movie set. Fake! There was one fort that the Spanish built called the Presidio long before Arizona became a territory. It was where downtown Tucson is now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread