A little Missouri glacial gold...

dpdkld

Jun 28, 2009
Missouri
Here are some of my larger pieces found pokin around the streams in West Central Missouri north of the Missouri river. I know it might be considered pickers or flakes in some states but here I would call these nuggets. The great thing about the glacial gold is it gives good practice on getting the fines so when I make it to real gold country I can have better success!! :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• rsz_gold_002.jpg
    rsz_gold_002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,643
  • rsz_gold_002.jpg
    rsz_gold_002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,877
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dpdkld

dpdkld

Jun 28, 2009
Missouri
been a while

Ive been out of the loop for a couple years...i have a beautiful 21 month old redhead girl my attention has been dedicated to. She will become a prospector and adventurer soon enough. Ive got out a couple times to my "hunting grounds" and have found some more gold but my last good find was in a gold rich area of New Mexico and got 4.5 grams in about an hour and a half. Will return there some day in the near future but want to say that learning the gold prospecting curves hear in missouri helped me out...take care all...

Sluice Box

Jan 1, 2012
The cold north
Detector(s) used
ACE 150, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful display of those flakes/pickers! Congratulations on your finds, and hope many more to you!

Sluice

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
dpdkid you need to dredge in Missouri to save on fuel. theres lots of potential in Missouri that needs tobe looked at more closely! I intend to do just that this Spring.

Fyurstarter

Feb 27, 2015
Northeast Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone, I live in Northeast MO and am new to prospecting. Any good tips for prospecting in Missouri other than "go somewhere else to look for gold"?
I'm pretty familiar with the local geology, but can't say that I know exactly what I'm looking for in a possible panning/sluicing location. I know that I've seen glacial stone quite a few times in my hunts for fossils and minerals, I'm assuming that these might be good indicators?

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Fyurstarter May 29-30-31 the Showme Chapter of the gpaa is having a club outing at "the farm at Adair" (goggle it) that's just East of Kirksville. out road 11 to the turnoff to the right just before you see the sign for the town of Adair. we arrainged this through the owner (Dwight) we got a special rate because of how many people we expect to show up. if you go , when arriveing at the gate where Dwight will be collecting the $$$$ tell him your with the Showme club for the weekend. Ill probly be the first one there in my red GMC pickup and towing my white 16 foot enclosed trailer. if you go , look me up ! ask anyone where im at! Russ Pearce Itll be a good time!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Fyurstarter May 29-30-31 the Showme Chapter of the gpaa is having a club outing at "the farm at Adair" (goggle it) that's just East of Kirksville. out road 11 to the turnoff to the right just before you see the sign for the town of Adair. we arrainged this through the owner (Dwight) we got a special rate because of how many people we expect to show up. if you go , when arriveing at the gate where Dwight will be collecting the $$$$ tell him your with the Showme club for the weekend. Ill probly be the first one there in my red GMC pickup and towing my white 16 foot enclosed trailer. if you go , look me up ! ask anyone where im at! Russ Pearce Itll be a good time!
Also if you attend this , id like to talk to you about something.

OP
OP
dpdkld

dpdkld

Jun 28, 2009
Missouri
Im all about that after the rain we have had iv found new bars with substantial fine gold on top. Its a love hate thing as the areas i was doing good are covered up but other new areas are opened now. Ive thought about a dredge but haven't dropped the cash yet.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on nice Glacial deposited Gold! The link below shows the extent of Glacial deposits and besides that, the Rivers and flooding created by Glacial melt which included Ice Sheets, produced many of the large valleys and river valleys across the remainder of the United States. Pretty much the same occurred in Europe as well.

https://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/EarthSC202Notes/GLACgeog.HTM

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread