JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul,

Head up to Bath, NH, and pan in the Wild Ammonoosuc river. If you go up to the junction of Rte 302 and 112 you'll see the Twin River Campground, where they sell prospecting supplies like sieves and sluices. If you head south from the campground you'll see lots of turnouts on the road. Pick one and start panning.

The gold is very fine so don't expect to find anything big. It was deposited by the spring flood, so you can find it by digging in the dry river bank.

M

Mike143

Paul, that section of the River was recently purchased and is now private property (both sides). Might be wise to get permission by the owner.

GL

rvdsr

Greenie
Dec 19, 2004
sebastian.florida
Detector(s) used
X-cal & 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a few friends that have found gold in newfane,vermont...rvdsr

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I have been to east branch of the Swift river near Coos canyon, off Rt. 17, north of Rumford, Maine. A campground at Coos canyon caters to gold panners. I found a good little bit of color in the 3 times I went there, mostly from sniping for it. Bring several different tools with you to work cracks and crevices in the bedrock. Digging on the riverbank is not allowed, so you need to stay in the riverbed itself. Fall is a great time to go, when water levels are low.

Gold has been found in over 70 streams in Maine's western mts. These are glacial deposits, believed to come from the Chaudier river in Quebec, Canada.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread