Prospecting in South America

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I would check with the consulate prior to the trip to find out all of the legal ramifications of what you're planning. Some of the jails in other countries are places I wouldn't want to visit.

OP
OP
Nugget Hog

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
I picked Peru for a few reasons. Things are cheap there and there is alot of mining going on. I read a story that said when the Amazon river drops from the flood stage that you can see the gold on some of the sand bars. The local miners just start shovelling the dirt into sluices and that some of them do really well. And I can also tell all of my friends and family that I am just going to visit Machu Picchu so they won't think that I'm too crazy for going there for gold. :D

I am also debating going to one of those Spanish language schools there, they are cheap and even free if you do some volunteer work. I figure that I should learn the language.. then at least I can tell what the man is yelling... "Blow the gringos head off!!" :-\

Have you ever heard of the caves with the perfectly smooth walls that are believed to be man made? I am pretty sure that I have found an entrance to one. I'll check out the cave system if I'm in the area but am mainly going for the gold.

Conservator, what part of FL are you in? Lakeland here.
Is Venezuela safe with Chavez in charge? What time of the year do you usually go? Are there any gold dredges there or do they just use that huge wooded gold pan? I briefly dated a Venezuelan girl and wow is all I can say.

This year I decided to be a full time prospector/treasure hunter. In the past, I have mined the Nome beach for 3 years doing fairly well. I also had some claims up there that were great if you could ever make it to them. Then I took off to California for 6 months to do some dredging, did OK there. Here in FL, I metal detect the beaches after hurricanes and play on a few ship wrecks, found some 8 reales, etc.. but no cobs yet. I also collect and sell fossils when the rivers are low.

I have a few other things in the works but am putting South America first priority right now.

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Check out Stan Grist's Website. He does a lot of prospecting in Central and South America.. He has a lot of good info. He charges a bit for some of his stuff. But might prove beneficial in your ventures.

DM

Apr 7, 2006
hi, I live here in Peru and traveled most of the country. Myself, just getting into metal dectecting (mostly old Inca cities for relics) but have friends that are recomending prospecting in the jungle. I know your all excited about comming over here and prospecting, just listen to a little of my (Peruvian) advice....
1- If you do come, don´t bring a lot of cash. If you don´t know spanish and look gringo, you will be a prime target for asaults (not usually violent unless you resist) or better chances of getting scammed for services. ATMs here will withdraw money from the states (300 a day).
2- If you are going to the jungle FLY (u$75)! DO NOT TAKE A BUS! Especially if your traveling with your girlfriend or wife. There are gangs on the way that will stop the bus and rob it, and if they are horney, well you know. As long as you don´t resist, they wont hurt you.
3- Don´t bother shipping stuff / equiptment over here, bring plans and the people here will build it here for a fraction of the cost of shipping it. If you´d like, send me a message and I´ll gladly give you a list of some of the things I had to bring from the states.
4- Hired help is extremly cheap here, you can probably get 2 guys (one of whom a taxi driver) to help you prospect for about u$7-10 a day (25- 35 soles) plus gas to get you to the rivers. JUST DO NOT TRUST THEM! They will find nuggets and eat / hide them to not share with you.
5- Police / Government are cool. Any problems and a small u$5 bribe will get them off your back. If you kill somebody or something really bad.. might need u$50.

Peru is really cool. Can break all the rules you want, food is awesome, most people are friendly (girls are 3 per guy). If it was soo terible, I wouldn´t be living here, I´d be back in my home in Daytona Bch. I just wanted to give you a heads up before you got a surprise. Hell, if you come at the right time, I´m always traveling to the jungle to visit my girlfriends family, maybee we can hook up and go river hunting. PM me.
Cuidate, John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
if your wanting to prospect in s. America you may want to consider that some countrys there are confiscating any American owned/ run companys and all of their equipment! S.America is extreamly volital at this time.but if you go anyway,good luck,safe trip!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread