My DIY 15" Trommel Project

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My DIY 15

Trying to see how cheap I can build a decent 15" gold trommel........

Using a drainage pipe 15" inside diameter 4 feet long. cost: FREE from a local excavating Co. *Note: it's smoothwall ( NOT ribbed) on the inside.
I modified an aluminum bakers rack to fit the tube that I picked up at a salvage yard for $20.
The wheels were bought on sale at Harbor Freight for $3.99 ea.
The supports for the wheels were salvaged from a discarded aluminum lawn chair.

Total weight so far: 30lbs. Total cost so far $36

It's a start :icon_sunny:
trommel3.jpg trommel1.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
Upvote 5
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My DIY Inexpensive Trommel Project

TimC said:
Goodguy,

Just a thought. Have you tried an idler pully to take the load off the clutch till the clutch is locked? Then adjust the idler.

TimC

No Sir. I have not tried that. Will adjusting the idler still allow the motor and clutch to spin at 2000 rpm to remain "locked in" and still be able to slow the drum down to 45 rpm without using reduction gearing? :icon_scratch:

Is that any different than letting the drum spin as fast as it will go until the clutch locks in and then slow the motor down to get the right drum speed? Wont the clutch start slipping again as the centrifugal force is reduced below the 2000 rpm lock in threshold?

Anyway now that I have a reduction gear box my troubles should be over once I determine the right primary pulley size ::)
I will do away with the clutch and use a spring loaded idler pulley to engage and disengage the belt. Like on a riding lawnmower when you engage/disengage the belt to the blades plus it also acts as a belt tensioner.

That is unless I decide to go with the DC motor with reduction gear assembly, then I don't think I will need an idler.

GG~

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess inertia is what has to be overcome. Will the gearbox suck up efficiency? Maybe the tradeoff is worth it.

TimC

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

GG a converter can be made for this to run the 90vdc motor using resistors and diodes capabale of handeling the applied current. 1st remeber the current needed for the motor to run(its labled on the side of the motor on the data plate) figure out what resistance needed to reduce the voltage down to 90 from 120(your generator) then youll need to change the voltage from AC to DC using diodes(this is called a A to D convertor) that will carry the current of your load.the resistance can be figured out using a variable reostadt (like a dimmer switch,but a dimmer switch wont carry this load!) also remeber that this motor has magnets in it and draws a magnetic feild while running ,so youll have to cover the motor somehow to keep any/all black sand from getting into the motor unless its a sealed unit.all of this canbe made to fit into a small plastic box that has a gasket to seal out water and dust. this seems like a lot to do but itll work unless a EZR method comes up for you!

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumleft: Russau

Thanks Russau, Now all I need is a generator, I wanted one anyway and it would eliminate the need to keep charging batteries. :icon_thumleft:

I did hook my DC motor up to a 12v battery just to see what happens and the (sealed) motor ran but the gear reduction looked a little slow and there was not enough torque (I could stop the pulley from turning with my hand) Then I hooked two rechargeable 18v batteries (off my cordless weedeater) together in series creating a 36v power source.

What a difference! More torque than I would ever need (could not even slow it down by hand) the speed increased as well but still not quite enough.
I just wonder how long those batteries would hold their charge. So today I will use the two fully charged 18v weedeater batteries wired in series and see how long it takes for them to drain while running the drum with a normal load.

Just wondering what would happen if I added a 12v car battery into the circuit, would it help to slow the energy drain on the two 18v batteries. And would it then give me 48v to work with? :icon_scratch:

The generator with an ac to dc converter would solve all those problems, the new problem is, all the AC to 90v DC power supplies I priced are around $125.00 that coupled with the price of the generator is busting my budget :help:

GG~

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey GG....

Klondike here...

You trommel project looks good...

I built one many...many...many years ago...it was pretty effective for capturing fine gold.. in fact ..after building it.. iot caused me to decide to move more dirt...with heavy equipment...and a much larger trommel...

Just a couple of things I did that improved how smoothly the trommel ran....
I started with a smooth belt like you have... but eventually went with toothed timing belt... I screwed one ...teeth up to the drum... (Eventually water will work it's way down to the smooth belt and with the weight of the gravel will start to slip...especially once the plastic becomes smoother and smoother from the belt rubbing....)

I chose a toothed timing pulley... of which you can get in smaller diameter sizes that a smooth pulley...

The final thing I did, was mount the motor on hinge plat..and choose a belt slightly smaller in length than what is needed... this way there is some play on the hinge..and the motor weight will keep the belt tight....

After making these few adjustments... my little trommel worked great....I sold that trommel to a guy from Reno for $350, around 1980 or so..., on one of my last camping trips to Union Flat Camp Ground on the North Fork of the Yuba...above Downieville......I have some pictures somewhere.. probably in storage in California... I'll see if I can get my wife to dig them up and post them here...

Your project looks great...keep up the good work...

And happy hunting...

Klondike...

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Klondike :icon_thumleft:

I already did attach a belt, grooves up, to the drum to prevent slippage.
And I'm working on the hinge assy for constant belt tension.
Plus I put the weed eater motor back on the weed eater in favor of using the DC motor. No noise, no fumes, and more reliable.

Appreciate the comments. :icon_sunny:

GG~

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

well as it turns out that patients/persistance pays off. i kept going by this new QT gas station and today they had a lot of scrap PVC and 1 peice of the 12 inch black ribbed tube the had 1 damaged end on it. the boss was there today and i stopped in and asked again about it. he said there it is, have all you want! so i did.my shop in the back yard looks like a pipe supply yard. and guess else what i found in my shop while i was out there putting this stuff away..... a 120volt variable reostadt(140?? to zero volts)GG if you decide to go with the DC motor and full wave rectifier(2 diodes for AC in and 2 diodes for DC out)(youll need to know at what wattage itll draw ,then add a little more for the load) that i talked about, ill give you this variable reostadt for free but youll need to come and get it OR the third weekend of August ill be over at the Sugar Creek Campground in Indiana and ill bring it with me!just let me know what you want to do!ill be with the gateway Gold prospectors in primitive camping and i hope the flooding has stopped by then!

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Actually GG what you want is a variable transformer 120 in / 0 to 120 3A out. Hook the output to a 5A bridge rectifier, put two 680uF 200V electrolytic capacitors across the DC output of the rectifier for filtration and you have a variable output DC supply. Keep it with the generator safely out waters way, then crank up the gen. adjust the speed of the trommel and start shoveling.

The most expensive part is the transformer, run about $60 > $110 bucks. rectifiers are about $4 and caps are a few bucks a piece throw in a fuse holder, a switch and socket for the output power line, a box to put it all in and you're there.

Gramps

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

GG check to see what is the fullload amps of that motor you have. ill check to see what the amp range is on my device to see if itll carry your load. im almost positive itll work for you with the diode setup like Gramps is talking about!

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Gramps, looks like I'll be making a trip to radio shack.
Decided to go with the DC motor. The amps are 2.2 - 2.75 so it draws very little current.

24JK_DC.jpg

I tested to see how long it would run the trommel using my little 18v batteries. I ended up using (3) 18v batteries in series and it ran solid for two hours, then it started slowing down. Not bad for (2) cordless weedeater and (1) cordless drill battery. :tongue3:

I shopped for a generator and had no luck finding an inexpensive one. still looking. :walk:

Russau, I'll do my best to be at the Sugar Creek rendezvous. Perhaps you will have your trommel ready by then and will bring it along.
I'll take photos of it and post them for you.

Go for the Gold!
GG~

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

the trommel that im going to build wont be anyway near ready then. itll probly be a winter project. i will bring the device with me for you! free! now i just have to dig it out of my shop..

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

There you go Buddy, I figured it could be done but did not posses the tech knowledge like Gramps and Russau. Those Ole Boys sure come in handy. Just remember don't wear that trummel out before I finish this job, so I can join up with you. :thumbsup:
I am leaning toward the Goldfield Prospector Trummel at this time. We can always upgrade when needed. By the way, I may go ahead and retire at the end of this project, so Gin and I can prospect full time. Tired of working for the government and its leeches. :icon_scratch:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

GrayCloud said:
There you go Buddy, I figured it could be done but did not posses the tech knowledge like Gramps and Russau. *************haha, well i cant speak for Gramps but, tech knowledge and me dont mix to good. but thanks for the compliment!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

GoodGuy, bad news! i cant find that device! ive gone through the shop twice and its gone. i had 2 of them. one was 0-140 v. and the other was for 240 volts and they are both gone. i dont know what happened to them. sorry!

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

russau said:
GoodGuy, bad news! i cant find that device! ive gone through the shop twice and its gone. i had 2 of them. one was 0-140 v. and the other was for 240 volts and they are both gone. i dont know what happened to them. sorry!

No problemo :icon_thumleft:

What do you think about this as a combination converter/speed control?
Will it kill two birds with one stone? The price is right.
Do you think it will function properly with only 110v - 120v input :help:

Input AC240V Output DC 0-90V Motor Speed Controller 120W
spc.JPG spc2.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Input-AC240V-Ou...524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255b247f6c

GG~

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

price ,size,weight,is right but it maybe a little light on the wattage. (using ohms law, if i remeber it??) (I)=amps 2.75A, times the voltage(E)90vdc...the max. amp draw on 90 vdc would be 267.50 watts running wide open. and i know your not going anywhere near that speed, probly 1/2 of that but still that would be using this device at its upper end of ability. when reduceing voltage you apply the inverse reciprecal law. when voltage goes down, the current goes up,soooooooooo as your adjusting the voltage to get the trommel to turn at the desired speed/RPM you want the device could cook itself if you go to high.so youll have to keep that in mind and if you do decide to use it, you may want to make somesort of stop for that adjustment so it wont go to high and burnout.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Advice Russau :icon_thumleft:

I had some good fortune today as I was able to trade the weedeater that I re-assembled for a 3500w Porter Cable generator. :o
The Generator has a 240v outlet as well as two 110v plus a 12v DC outlet. The downside is it weighs in at a heavy 120lbs.
gen.jpg

The motor starts easy, runs smooth, then dies after about 30 sec. :icon_scratch: That's why the man got rid of it.

I checked the fuel shut off ...it's open... checked the fuel filter and lines ..they are clear. I'm thinking maybe it's the low oil shut off even though the oil is not low :dontknow: It's a Honda GX200 6.5 HP

GG~

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GoodyGuy
You said the fuel lines are open, did you check the carb bowl to make sure that there is gas in it? I just had a similar issue with my Honda on my dredge, the fuel cap wasn't venting properly so the gas wouldn't flow through the lines. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jog said:
GoodyGuy
You said the fuel lines are open, did you check the carb bowl to make sure that there is gas in it? I just had a similar issue with my Honda on my dredge, the fuel cap wasn't venting properly so the gas wouldn't flow through the lines. Just a thought.

When I pulled the fuel line off at the carb and opened the fuel tank shut off valve, gas came through the line freely with the fuel cap on.
However after inspecting the sediment cup and float bowl it is plain to see that a carb rebuild is in order. The bowl and cup were 1/2 full of stale fuel gel varnish.

The fuels nowadays are only stable for about 30 days before the breaking down process begins. >:(
I recommend shutting off the fuel supply and running your small engine out of gas before storage. Empty the fuel tank as well and use the gasoline in your car.
Small gasoline engines as on pumps and dredges and trommel's as well as the gasoline storage cans should be emptied between usages.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread