My DIY 15" Trommel Project

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My DIY 15

Trying to see how cheap I can build a decent 15" gold trommel........

Using a drainage pipe 15" inside diameter 4 feet long. cost: FREE from a local excavating Co. *Note: it's smoothwall ( NOT ribbed) on the inside.
I modified an aluminum bakers rack to fit the tube that I picked up at a salvage yard for $20.
The wheels were bought on sale at Harbor Freight for $3.99 ea.
The supports for the wheels were salvaged from a discarded aluminum lawn chair.

Total weight so far: 30lbs. Total cost so far $36

It's a start :icon_sunny:
trommel3.jpg trommel1.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
Upvote 5

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
Re: My DIY Inexpensive Trommel Project

GoodyGuy said:
Thanks Gramps, looks like I'll be making a trip to radio shack.
Decided to go with the DC motor. The amps are 2.2 - 2.75 so it draws very little current.

I tested to see how long it would run the trommel using my little 18v batteries. I ended up using (3) 18v batteries in series and it ran solid for two hours, then it started slowing down. Not bad for (2) cordless weedeater and (1) cordless drill battery.

I shopped for a generator and had no luck finding an inexpensive one. still looking :tongue3:

Russau, I'll do my best to be at the Sugar Creek rendezvous. Perhaps you will have your trommel ready by then and will bring it along.
I'll take photos of it and post them for you.

Go for the Gold!
GG~

what type or kind of motor is this? or rather what is the motor called? I like the path you are going with this build, very very interesting and informative thread! Good-luck finishing it up!

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

prospectordamon said:
what type or kind of motor is this? or rather what is the motor called? I like the path you are going with this build, very very interesting and informative thread! Good-luck finishing it up!

Thanks for your interest ProspectorDamon :icon_thumleft:

It's a direct current, gear motor made by Baldor Electric. I was fortunate enough to run across a great deal on one at a salvage yard for $20

Below is a link to the specs.
http://www.baldor.com/products/deta...y=DC+Gear+Motors|vw_GearProducts_DCGearMotors

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

GG use a straight pin to make sure the vent hole in the fuel cap is open! i didnt do this on a water pump i had and brought it to a friend to rebuilt the carb. he worked on it for a couple of hours before it dawned on him to check the fuel cap. and that was my problem.yep the guck in the carb needs tobe addressed equally. i always run the engine with the fuel valve turned off to run it out of fuel and i keep a fuel stabilizer in all of my fuel tanks. it works for me!

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a

GG, When you go through the carb be sure to set the float (an easy rule of thumb is to hold it upside down and make sure its level to the body of the carb). Back when I was still fixing broken stuff for a living I would see gen sets with the float way off from being dropped hard too often. They are heavy and go down fast sometimes :laughing7: Particularly if they are being handled by an employee who cares more about his lunch break than the cost of the equipment he is handling

-Lance

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great advice guy's :icon_thumleft:

Gas cap was fine, the float was fine,.......cleaned the carb, it really wasn't that bad except for the napalm in the float bowl and the sediment bowl.
Started up great.......then died after 45sec. :'(

I then decided to give it an oil change, the oil was pretty dirty and needed changing.
Ok, after the oil change I re-started it and it's still running :hello2: (must have been something to do with the low oil shut off :dontknow: )

My work shed has a small 5,000 btu AC window unit so I made sure that the "max available start up amps" switch on the generator was on and plugged the AC in........................WOW! the AC ran great! also plugged in my little sabre saw while the AC was running and it worked fine! Next I connected the 90v dc motor to the 12v dc outlet and it ran (super slow but it ran)

So I guess I will order the combination converter rheostat and go prospecting :headbang:

I'll post photos of the finished product when it's all properly finished and running at a creek :icon_thumleft:
Thanks everyone for your help and assistance :icon_sunny:

GG~

*turns out there was a 110v combination 90v converter rheostat available: http://cgi.ebay.com/160524245706?ru...id=m570.l2736&_nkw=160524245706&_fvi=1&_rdc=1
Good thing I decided to ask the seller.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My DIY 15" Trommel Project

Almost forgot..... here is the improved classifier, finally was able to have my expanded metal rolled (goes full length of drum)
nt1.jpg

Here is the combination motor mount and belt tensioner. Belt tension is provided by using the weight of the motor hinged at one end .
nt2.jpg

And the upgrade on the wheels to 13" x 4" pneumatic.
trommelwheels.jpg

Next photos will be in use at the creek prospect. :icon_thumleft:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

Buddy you should be proud, looks like quality workmanship. :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see it wet.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

GG, i sent you a reply to the PM you sent me,just incase it dont go through!ill be there from probly Aug.18 through that Sunday unless i get lucky!:)

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

russau said:
GG, i sent you a reply to the PM you sent me,just incase it dont go through!ill be there from probly Aug.18 through that Sunday unless i get lucky!:)

Received :icon_thumleft:

I'll be there from late Saturday pm until Sun pm.
Hope to see you :icon_sunny:

I'll tell you about another (little known) gold bearing creek in Indiana not too far away when we meet.
Maybe we can partner up for that trip.

There's a group of tree huggers in Indiana called "Friends of Sugar Creek" ....I've heard they are trying to lobby for shutting it down to dredging :help:

GG~

*note..... once the converter arrives, I'm going to try using a 12v battery connected to my 750w inverter with the 110v converter plugged into it and hopefully that will power the 90v trommel motor. If not I still have the generator to fall back on.

** Added 7/26/2011
The converter arrived today and works excellent both with house current or generator provided current :icon_thumleft:
But the best news is, that it works with my inverter connected to a 12v deep cycle battery :hello2:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used

Tree Huggers live in wooden houses and use wooden pencils to write protest on posters made of wood!!! :icon_scratch:
Ummmmm, Something fishy here. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok here is the final tally on cost including improvements.

Dual wall drain pipe for trommel drum ......FREE contractor as scrap.
Aluminum bakers rack for frame................$20 Ace salvage yard
Sheet metal for hopper and tailing chute....$10 Ace salvage yard
Square steel for leg brackets.......................FREE scrap behind Home Depot
Galvanized pipe for legs.............................$8 Ace salvage
4 Wheels with brackets for trommel drum..$16 Harbor Freight
Axle 3'x5/8" for front wheels........................$9 Home Depot
2 Front 13"x4" wheels.................................$24 Harbor Freight
Paint ........................................................$10 Wal-Mart
PVC pipe and shut off valves......................$18 Lowes
5/16 expanded mesh 4' x 47".....................$50 Pohl Iron Works
90v DC gear motor....................................$20 Ace salvage
Hinge for motor mount...............................$4 Lowes
110AC to 90vDC converter.........................$47 e-bay
5" pulley....................................................$5 Wheelers junk yard
Ribbed flat belt...........................................$14 NAPA auto
Misc. hardware etc......................................$20

Grand Total (not including pump and sluice) $275 :icon_thumleft:

Go for the gold,
GG~

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used

Sure cannot buy one like it that cheap Buddy. Now go get it dirty. :thumbsup:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used

Buddy,,, Did you get that trommel dirty this weekend? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GrayCloud said:
Buddy,,, Did you get that trommel dirty this weekend? :dontknow:

I Had a great time at Salt Creek. Feeding a Trommel is Fun! .....Hard work, but fun just the same.

Why is it that when a water hose comes loose it always sprays right at me? I don't know how it knows where I'm standing. :dontknow:

Happened not once, not twice, but three times. And I was standing in a different place each time. :icon_scratch:
The first time it came loose from the pump while I was standing right next to it, got me pretty good. I re tightened the clamp and began shoveling. Second time it decided to come loose from the spray bar and the hose went wild with 150 gallons a minute spray and it got me from 8 feet away! So I tightened that clamp and figured all was well. Third time I was feeding the hopper while showing two guy's my trommel when the end cap came off the spray bar in the hopper. Water shot at me like it was fired from a water cannon. Soaked me from head to toe even though I was already wet from the other two times.

Thought those guy's were going to choke to death they were laughing so hard. :laughing9: :laughing9:
It was 95 degrees out so it felt good, but I still cant believe how I managed to get soaked every time!

I haven't panned out the concentrates yet so I don't know how much gold I have. This was only a test to get any bugs out before the real deal. Really no problems other than the loose hose clamps and the end cap I forgot to glue.
So look out Gold here I come!

Here she is at Salt Creek looking all innocent like.
t1.jpg

Dredgers in background with 5" dredge
t2.jpg

That's the two guy's who were laughing so hard. :laughing7:

A prospector up the creek from me
p1.jpg

He saw me get soaked the first time. I think he laughed too, but I was too busy scrambling to shut off the pump.

Don't forget to check your clamps,
GG~

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Russau,

I'm still planning to be at the Sugar Creek outing on Sat eve on the 20th, although Friday the 19th I'll be at the Central Indiana GPAA outing about 100 miles south east from there. If I hit a good pay streak I may just stay there the weekend, if not I'll see you Sat and Sun. My campsite at Sugar Creek is primitive #6

Go for the Gold
GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread