Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fluid Bed Prototype

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2012
    >GJ Colorado
    1 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmarch View Post
    This guys setup looks easy to make & should work well. Personally I think it would work better with a lot less water being pumped. 60 gpm seems like way to much but I could be wrong.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

If you keep the flow at a bare minimum just enough to keep everything fluid & have a mud like consistancy you will retain the tiniest particles of gold.

I'm making another fluid bed type setup put of a 8 gallon funnel. I'm sure it will work but will it work better than my others?

3600 GPH does seem a bit serious, especially if you are trying to stay with a more portable DC powered pump. :-) Interesting implementation, made me wonder if some type of popup sprinkler head might worth playing with. I like the fact you can shovel a decent amount of material into it without worrying about a small hole to hit. It sounds like the fluid bed idea shouldn't require massive water pressure. Does your proposed bucket implementation require less because of the many many holes in the bottom to distribute flow or simply due to a lower flow design/expectation?

The Dollar store here has these little 1 gal black buckets and I am thinking of grabbing a couple of those and see how that works within a 5 gallon setup for recirculating. Allows a bigger area for input than the small box design but is still pretty portable. Plus on a side note, the Dollar store also has sand sieves for kids there that fit perfectly on top of the 1 gallon buckets. I picked up a little setup for my son so I wouldn't be carrying a 5 gallon bucket and classifier for him to play. :-) So for potential prospectors this might be a cheap way to let them play next to Dad.

Hit some more stores for something that can use that odd 1 1/8 barb port to a more conventional, no luck. Last suggestion was a boat store or specific pipe fitting store. Kind of lessens the value of the pump if it so difficult to implement.

us
    VTGoldProspector aka Corey

Jun 2012
    Eastern Long Island
    Google Earth, my hands and a pan!
    3 times
    Prospecting
    Awesome job! Just 1 point which really has nothing to do with the construction but of its use... In the first few seconds of video when you were putting dirt on the punch plate you had a lot of floating material.. You may not want to run dry material like that.. You can very easily be floating the gold right off. Look at the surface of the water as the dirt is added and worked, you can see some of it float and drain off.

I made a small fluid bed to run test sample in. It catches 90% and better of the gold, flake and gold so small it is barely visible to the naked eye, and I have good eyes..

us
    May 2009
    42 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by John-K View Post

Interesting implementation, made me wonder if some type of popup sprinkler head might worth playing with.

I wouldn't. I think it is best to pump water from the very bottom.

I like the fact you can shovel a decent amount of material into it without worrying about a small hole to hit. It sounds like the fluid bed idea shouldn't require massive water pressure. Does your proposed bucket implementation require less because of the many many holes in the bottom to distribute flow or simply due to a lower flow design/expectation?

It's to feed the water from the bottom. If I was to use pvc pipe in the bottom of a bucket or any container I would cover the pipe with gravel.

The Dollar store here has these little 1 gal black buckets and I am thinking of grabbing a couple of those and see how that works within a 5 gallon setup for recirculating. Allows a bigger area for input than the small box design but is still pretty portable. Plus on a side note, the Dollar store also has sand sieves for kids there that fit perfectly on top of the 1 gallon buckets. I picked up a little setup for my son so I wouldn't be carrying a 5 gallon bucket and classifier for him to play. :-) So for potential prospectors this might be a cheap way to let them play next to Dad.

I always go for bigger and higher volume. The more material you can process the more gold. The faster you can process the more gold. A normal plastic storage container is a good option. You can store everything you need inside and it would be fairly easy to carry.
    Research is more important than detector but Positive Thinking & The Laws of Attraction Rule!
    Think Gold get Gold! Think canslaw get canslaw and other garbage!

us
    May 2009
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vtgoldprospector View Post
    Awesome job! Just 1 point which really has nothing to do with the construction but of its use... In the first few seconds of video when you were putting dirt on the punch plate you had a lot of floating material.. You may not want to run dry material like that.. You can very easily be floating the gold right off. Look at the surface of the water as the dirt is added and worked, you can see some of it float and drain off.

Thats a prototype. I would set it up with spray bars. My problem is that I make something and then think of something else and make that.

I made a small fluid bed to run test sample in. It catches 90% and better of the gold, flake and gold so small it is barely visible to the naked eye, and I have good eyes..

Look under a microscope. With my 2 bucket method and every fluid bed setup it captured gold down to 8 microns. The problem is that you can't see below 50 microns without magnification & need a coagulant to capture the tiny stuff. Gold 70 or so microns will stay suspended and not settle if there is to much water flow. Thats why I say to use a very low water flow. Just enough to keep everything fluid.

The video of the hydrocon I posted... It's a good setup I just think 60 gpm in a 5 gallon bucket is too much. It will blow out a lot of gold.

Research is more important than detector but Positive Thinking & The Laws of Attraction Rule!

us
    VTGoldProspector aka Corey

Jun 2012
    Eastern Long Island
    Google Earth, my hands and a pan!
    3 times
    Prospecting
    I use a 20x jewelers eye to confirm everything I think is gold. Yes, magnification is a must.

As far as flow rate requirements, this changes depending upon how much and how heavy the material is in the fluid bed. On my small one I have to turn up the water as it begins to fill with super heavies to keep it displacing properly. Makes me wonder how much you will have to increase yours given its depth.

us
    May 2009
    42 times
    I use a 20x jewelers eye to confirm everything I think is gold. Yes, magnification is a must.

As far as flow rate requirements, this changes depending upon how much and how heavy the material is in the fluid bed. On my small one I have to turn up the water as it begins to fill with super heavies to keep it displacing properly. Makes me wonder how much you will have to increase yours given its depth.
    Does your small one pump in the water from the bottom? Pump from the bottom and you wont have that problem.

Try making one like this...

Three 5 gallon buckets.

Pump water in from the bottom bucket.

Drill a bunch of tiny holes in the middle bucket. (bottom & sides)

Drill 1/8" holes in the top bucket. (bottom & sides)

Shovel (unclassified) like a mad man into the top bucket. Stop occassionally to pull & dump the top bucket. Scan what you dump with a metal detector.

As you shovel the lightest materials will flow out the top. Basically inputting material will help discharge the lighter stuff allowing less water flow.

us
    Jul 2012
    >GJ Colorado
    1 times
    Prospecting
    Does your small one pump in the water from the bottom? Pump from the bottom and you wont have that problem.

Try making one like this...

Three 5 gallon buckets.

Pump water in from the bottom bucket.

Drill a bunch of tiny holes in the middle bucket. (bottom & sides)

Drill 1/8" holes in the top bucket. (bottom & sides)

Shovel (unclassified) like a mad man into the top bucket. Stop occassionally to pull & dump the top bucket. Scan what you dump with a metal detector.

As you shovel the lightest materials will flow out the top. Basically inputting material will help discharge the lighter stuff allowing less water flow.
    When you say bottom and sides, are still meaning only about a an inch or so up sides in middle bucket? Top bucket to assist as a concentrator?

Are you securing the middle bucket with screws or letting weight of material hold stuff down?

Time to make some prototypes....

Here is another video of a different approach off of youtube:

It makes me wonder if the 1/2 height 5 gallon bucket approach might allow for cleaning of waste material with less water pressure.

Would like to see more details on the Hydro setup, do you think the single point of water entry at bottom is same/equal as the multiple holes spread across?

us
    Jul 2012
    >GJ Colorado
    1 times
    Prospecting

Well the video made me interested in what was happening, but either my inexperience is showing or I just couldn't see enough of the setup to really understand how it was all working. Other then then using screen material at top. :-) Do you have any more details that might help the newbies like myself understand what we are seeing? Maybe a full picture or two to show whole process?

Thanks!

us
    Jul 2012
    >GJ Colorado
    1 times
    Prospecting
    Well to answer my own questions of how it works, I found this video later.... :-)

May 2012
    227 times
    And then there's this one

us
    May 2009
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John-K View Post
    When you say bottom and sides, are still meaning only about a an inch or so up sides in middle bucket?

I'd go a few inches up the side.

Top bucket to assist as a concentrator?

Not a concentrator. It would classify.

Are you securing the middle bucket with screws or letting weight of material hold stuff down?

I've never made one but am thinking screws wouldnt be needed with low water flow.

It makes me wonder if the 1/2 height 5 gallon bucket approach might allow for cleaning of waste material with less water pressure.

I always go bigger. I would use a bigger container. Are you trying to match a container to a specific pump?

Would like to see more details on the Hydro setup, do you think the single point of water entry at bottom is same/equal as the multiple holes spread across?

A single entry would be fine if there was a funnel at the bottom. It's actually what I'm playing with now.

Click this... 23" Heavy Duty Steel Drum Funnel - Easily pour liquids into poly & metal closed top drums!

Last edited by nickmarch; Aug 02, 2012 at 07:08 AM.

us
    May 2009
    42 times
    The gold reaper looks like it works fine but being the maniac I am I would go nuts using a tiny shovel. For me bigger is always better. The more material you can process fast the better!

Read the Dukes e sludge tank patent...

Method and apparatus for separating gold and other heavy materials from ore

http://www.mine.mn/Robin_Grayson_gol...y_method25.pdf

You want the consistency of quick sand/mud in your fluid bed.
    Last edited by nickmarch; Aug 02, 2012 at 07:22 AM.

us
    May 2009
    42 times
    John-K,

I just watched your video.

Try this with the setup you showed in the video...

Fill the bucket almost to the top with material and then turn on the water. As it runs add more material. You want the consistency of quick sand/watery mud.

It's going to seperate by specific gravity in the bucket. As you add more material the lighter stuff has to flow out the top. The water flow and adding material is going to force the lighter/less specific gravity stuff to pour out the top.

us
    Sep 2010
    Groveland, CA
    351 times
    Thanks for a great thread and ideas. I'd be interested in the final cleanup process. I've been finding fine gold but can seem to even get it out of the pan. How do you concentrate and recover the really fine stuff?

thanks-

us
    Jul 2012
    >GJ Colorado
    1 times
    Prospecting
    John-K,

I just watched your video.

Try this with the setup you showed in the video...

Fill the bucket almost to the top with material and then turn on the water. As it runs add more material. You want the consistency of quick sand/watery mud.

It's going to seperate by specific gravity in the bucket. As you add more material the lighter stuff has to flow out the top. The water flow and adding material is going to force the lighter/less specific gravity stuff to pour out the top.
    Actually at this time none of the videos are mine, all pulled from Tnet links/youtube. Everytime I think I have an idea that I want to implement I see a variation that makes me go, hmmm.... Is that a more efficient way :-)

I am trying to stay with a lower power pump for carrying and 12v use. 1000gph or so, I may end up looking for a 2000gph size if absolutely needed. Water is an issue and where I want to use it requires bringing it with me so trying for portability. May end up building multiple setups one for field and less water flow and one for home where power/water is of less concern. :-)

The hardcore of course are gas operated and running 100s of feet of hose but I am not ready for that. I wish there were places less then 2 hours travel from here, but reading some people who go 1000s of miles I should be happy! :-)

Your funnel posting from earlier has made me think of that as an in implementation. So many way to play!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors