2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Prudent Man Rule was first defined in Castle v Womble, 19 LD 455 (1894), where the Secretary of the Interior held that: "Where minerals have been found and the evidence is of such a character that a person of ordinary prudence would be justified in the further expenditure of his labor and means, with a reasonable prospect of success, in developing a valuable mine, the requirements of the statute have been met."

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greydigger said:
I see that a mining claim (un patented as there are no more patented claims to be made)
has the requirement of "being produced for a profit".
Well what does that mean?
Every time I look for gold and find an area that has some I do get a profit.
What do I not know?

Grey

I am sure you already know this, but for those who don't.........

You may then file a claim based on that "discovery" of a valuable mineral as long as the property is open to mineral claim.
Otherwise you may continue to prospect the unclaimed property and it is up to you whether or not to file and be obligated to pay the filing and annual maintenance fees for ownership of the claim.

However, If you choose not to file and someone else does file you will then have to find another place to prospect unless you can obtain permission from the new claim owner.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to to make a profit off you're claim when they have so many regulations and won't let you work them properly.

OP
OP
greydigger

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, do I have to prove that my discovery makes enough money to pay for my fuel, lodging, time, and equiptment ( a profit) and what kind of rights do I then have on the land? Can I camp there and work the claim anytime I want?
Do I have to work it a certain amount of time each year? What is defined as an "Improvement" ?
Am sure someone here has been there and done this.
Thanks,
Grey

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, you don't have to turn a profit in the modern definition of that word.

Use of surface is governed by 1872 mining law which allows things like camping but may be regulated, so many things you might want to do like cutting trees have rules about what is allowed. For some things you have to file a "plan of operations" in advance. For more info google search is your first mining tool - the info is all already posted if you go look - gold and info is where you find it...get started searching for both and good luck!

OP
OP
greydigger

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
No, you don't have to turn a profit in the modern definition of that word.

Use of surface is governed by 1872 mining law which allows things like camping but may be regulated, so many things you might want to do like cutting trees have rules about what is allowed. For some things you have to file a "plan of operations" in advance. For more info google search is your first mining tool - the info is all already posted if you go look - gold and info is where you find it...get started searching for both and good luck!

Thanks Kevin. Yes I know about 1872 law and have studied modern requirements. That's why I asked the question about "Profit".
That is one of the things in modern laws.
Gosh, if I find .5 dwt for a day of prospecting I consider that a profit compared to nothing, and would be happy.
But wondered about the legal stuff 'cause that wouldn't cover my cost as a small miner. But it is fun.
Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread