GO WEST YOUNG MAN

michafnl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2012
ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Three days from now, my son and I will be boarding a bus, in OH, for AZ...by mid week we will be there. We will be looking for a very inexpensive high clearance vehicle, and headed to the county and BLM to check off some possible sampling areas...I've got no idea what I am doing, but none the less, here we go. Over the next month or so I'll check in with my questions to see if we can get the favor tipped in our direction. Anyway, ready or not.....:BangHead:

I am looking forward to this, if i don't go I'll never know.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you well......... Gonna be a great adventure for sure. Wish I were coming along with my homemade drywasher that I still haven't used after two years.
Indiana like Ohio is not drywasher friendly. :tongue3:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three days from now, my son and I will be boarding a bus, in OH, for AZ...by mid week we will be there. We will be looking for a very inexpensive high clearance vehicle, and headed to the county and BLM to check off some possible sampling areas...I've got no idea what I am doing, but none the less, here we go. Over the next month or so I'll check in with my questions to see if we can get the favor tipped in our direction. Anyway, ready or not.....:BangHead:

Wow this sounds all exciting and I wish I was on my way in that direction. You mention you have no idea what your doing and I hope your just kidding. Venturing off into some unknown or even known BLM property, desert,bush, backwoods, mountain what ever you want to call it...could get you in trouble and quick if your not prepared. Since you've been a member for a little while I'm guessing you've read enough here to have an idea how to prospect. As far as being prepared for a outing requiring high clearance vehicles that tells me your doing some off roadin and that chages the whole aspect of making sure you and your son return safe and ....with some gold of course. You know the whole water, food, maps, compass, GPS, someone knowing your plan and times expected to be where and all. Hey I'm just a new guy to the prospecting thing but I've spent some time in the bush and you need to be carefull..Be safe have fun and let us know how things are going.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what your plans/expectations/equipment are, but why not join the club that has a claim on Rich Hill and go prospect there? Prescott is nearby and a great little town to boot.

Gork

Dec 13, 2004

There are new rules restricting ATVs in Arizona. Here is a flyer telling of those restrictions. You will note that an ATV used off road must be titled and registered in Arizona to get the off road permit for an ATV. This winter the new rule had caused a great deal of controversy for the many snowbirds who go to Arizona to do a little off road exploring as their ATVs were registered in their home state.
Since it looks like you are going there to do a little prospecting, some of the rules concerning where you can go will not apply to you, but there are many sensitive areas that are protected such as driving on certain parts of the Butterfield Overland Trail that still exist in Arizona.

ATV Restrictions.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please check these guy's out....... You will be so glad you did! http://www.arizonagoldadventures.com/

Otherwise be prepared for danger, hardship and frustration along with testing your survival skills :tongue3:
Then next year you can try it on your own with the experience and knowledge you gained from the experts!

It aint cheap.... but it's what it's worth, not what it costs, that matters most. :thumbsup:
GG~

Last edited:

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Michafnl...

Klondike here...

I am currently mining in Arizona... not sure what part of the state you'll be trying to propspect...but be forwarned.. there are very few, if any valid mining claims open and available to prosect on...unless you join a club or can navigate your way through the BLM LR2000 website which list all claims and their status in each state...and file it with the BLM... however, their data isn't really up to date...don't get shot, thrown in jail or run off because you're on someone else's claim...claim jumping IS serious business...and there aren't many signs telling private property from public lands or state lands...much of the state land in this district is either withdrawn or to complicated to file a claim on.....until you get familiar with the area by driving around and talking with folks...

One of the better areas is the Rich Hill..or Weaver Mining District...north west of Phoenix about 80 miles or so...just outside of Congress to the east by north east is te Weaver Mioning District......there is a great small hotel in Congress...very reasonable...

There's also a great place to eat at the Arrowhead Bar and Grill... ask around there and someone will know me...and MAYBE..just MAYBE.. I'll have time to get you pointed in the right direction.... You're comng a long ways withoiut much planning...

WAY back in time... nearly 40 years ago..I showed up at a mining disatrict in California... just as you'll do in AZ....and guy there took me under his wing and taught me almost everything I know know about mining...it's too bad he passed on a couple of years ago.. he was one of the best...

I guess everything comes full circle from time to time.. but like I said.. I may not be able to spend a lot of time with you.. but can surely help you get pointed into the right diretion...if you're planing to come to this part of AZ..

I love your true sense of adventure...and boldness to set out not knowing what will come your way.. that is the heart of a true prospector...

Good luck to you...

Klondike...

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For anyone going into the "back country" where help is a long way off I would suggest you carry with you a SPOT GPS Messenger. This is a GPS based transmitter that you can use to send a Fixed message back out to civilization. By fixed I mean a message you've entered into the system via computer/internet link Before you go out into the hills.

The SPOT has three send options that when pushed will forward your message to your list of contacts as well as your lattitude & longitude and a link to Google Map that shows your location:
1) I am OK
2) Help - which infers that things are not good but not critical yet
3) 911 - come get by butt out of here

Upon pushing the 911 button the message center will receive your message, they will check with the contacts you have listed and if all appears like a real message they will dispatch a helicopter to your location. The chopper will fly over your location so be prepared to signal with mirror, flashlight, camp fire or in some way that can be seen by a helicopter crew. Preferably signal to the chopper from a distance as there are no windows in the bottom of a chopper as that is what you will be looking at when they arrive at your location. Also, after pressing the 911 button keep your SPOT unit on! The unit can be pinged by the receiving station so that the unit will send out a current location marker so even if you are unconcious they can check and confirm The SPOT Units Location so stay with it.

I've had to use this unit Once and it paid for itself that day and I do not even think twice about the yearly fee to continue the service.

Be safe, have fun, have fun and you are on an adventure that you will talk about for a long time.......63bkpkr

Hickory1

Apr 12, 2012
NE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agreeing with Hunter.....it would be a considerable waste if you merely go and begin panning, etc., without prior knowledge on how to read a stream, etc., Even panning on my property and nearby rivers and creeks I have armed myself with over 5 years of knowledge not just on panning but geology, topography, etc., This will help you become successful if there is to be treasure in where you search. My best to you that you succeed....careful of private properties and/or states which have strict laws regarding sluice, dredging, and simple panning. What a great trip for father and son though....even if you don't get treasure, the memory will last a life time and you will hopefully be enjoying nice spring weather!

My best to you...safe travels!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Michafnl, If you have not done any research on the occurances of gold in AZ, you need to do a little reading. One place you can RULE OUT is the Mogollon plateau. If you drew a line from Kingman to Flagstaff.... the area above the line is virtually devoid of gold. That is to say, gold occurances are so rare, you need lots of local knowledge to find it. As Ike said above, the Rich Hill area would be VERY good for finding gold. Spend about $40 to join the Weaver Mining District. They have a LARGE amount of local claims. Their office is in the little strip mall just west of the 71/89 intersection (Country Corner gas station) in Congress, AZ. They are closed on mondays, I believe. They provide maps of the claims. Also, try the Y-Not claims. Same cost. They have an agent selling memberships from the house directly across the road from the LDMA Stanton entrance. He has a white fence. Follow it left to the entry gate. They are Tom and Maggie. Lynx Creek at Prescott Valley is also good. Give me a PM and I will give you my phone number to help "tune in" my directions. I can GAURANTEE you will find color on the Weaver or Y-not. I will also give you the number of my brother TimC... the man on the ground. He will TAKE you to the gold to back up the gaurantee! I have very little local knowledge of other areas in AZ. Give me a PM... and good luck. TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be safe. Have fun. Know before you go, and welcome to the passion of a lifetime!

Check out my tips on Bedrock and Gold the Mysteries on the metal detecting for gold portion of this prospecting section--you may find a few you can use in your new adventure.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
M

michafnl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2012
ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you very much Hunter, that is a rather scary part, hopefully I might find some trustworthy folks to ally with. I'm not too trusting, I understand that side arms are commonly worn, and that there are snakes, and spiders and scorpions, and wild cats. "Mad dogs" (people kind) bother me more. We shall see! What's a guy to do? Not go? Then i won"t have any good stories to tell.

I'll be a sponge and learn all i can, from the best people I can get to know. I am not above working for or with another, until I learn some things.

OP
OP
M

michafnl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2012
ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Lanny, metal detecting definitely has a role for fat people like me. I only have to bend over for a good reason. That looks like a "later" application.
I have to pay my way through. It would be good for big gold, but also for highlighting calieche' or gold lode veins.

OP
OP
M

michafnl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2012
ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To be honest, the annual claims are expensive, some are $3000, i will do GPAA at 70, but a claim that i own is less. I am and will look into it further, If i have a claim that may give me leverage to trade with.

OP
OP
M

michafnl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2012
ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info, Gork. The vehicle I will have will be a jeep, explorer, bronco or maybe even a van. I might even stay with 2wh drive access for a while.

OP
OP
M

michafnl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2012
ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks GG, I looked into them a while back. All of their pages are flagged. Prudence, is wise, I will be looking for options.

OP
OP
M

michafnl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2012
ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am headed in your direction, I also saw your earlier post, for an investor, probably not me, but I was happy to see that you're willing to work with others. It did cause me to consider what i might be able trade for lessons learned...I'm not too proud to learn and work hard.....That is my plan...work hard! Thanks Klondike.

OP
OP
M

michafnl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2012
ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome, I have seen this device, only once. It sends messages to those who might come for you. I haven't thought of another system, apart from a few others with vehicles. This was a concern of mine. Thanks 63.

I feel like the construction days have returned, and I am a contractor again. Do they have a Home Depot for Prospectors? (toy store) Oh yeah, Home Depot.
All of you guys Are Great!... It comforts me to see you all respond to this thread, with all of your great advice. I do very much appreciate it.

OP
OP
M

michafnl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2012
ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree, and even though this is my dream , not his. He will learn to appreciate the value of work. I want him to win, and a skill that no one can take from him.
My son and I have not seen each other much, except for the last year, and it has been difficult. Its all but impossible to have a solid family anymore.

OP
OP
M

michafnl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2012
ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry C...I remember reading your stuff early on... Thank you for your hat tip...I am looking west or SW of Prescott for the moment in my research. I would love rich hill, I am looking for a summer place, so i don't melt. I'm a Florida guy too, I don"t mind heat, and i do like shade, though. I am trying to avoid the desert in the summer. I will go to wherever I can get what i need to get, so I can play again tomorrow. I have no context where the desert begins and ends. In two days I will be on my way, so I will soon learn...Quick.

Can non-members camp at ldma, and for how much? I haven't been able to find out. I'm new to this site as a member, so I'll do a pm as soon as i learn how to do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread