New to prospecting

roadie114

Sep 4, 2012
Hello everyone,

I recently got into prospecting, and am enjoying reading the posts. I live in the Yucaipa CA area in San Bernardino County, and took my daughter out last wknd and she found 2 good nuggets of pyrite, but she loved it. We plan on going around to the Santa Ana River and Mill Creek. Any success up there or around Barton Flats area? Thx!

I built a homemade sluice box, ready to test it asap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya, welcome to the forums. :)

I dont really know that area very well but what I did when I started looking at places where to prospect I used google to try to find old mine claims, load claims and where they hit the creek and researched how most of the gold got here.
Also checking in with BLM and Forestry Service is a good step but FS will be up to date.
Learning how to use LR2000 from BLM is also a huge help in finding where gold may be, knowing where claims may be and knowing where open land is.

The massive quartz loads go north and south for the most part in California because of the pacific plate subduction to the North American plate, there is more geology into it than that but that gives you an idea of how this came to be.

It is also a good idea to join a local prospecting club that has claims, that will put you right in the gold and you dont have to worry about stepping onto someone elses claim.

Good luck and happy panny. :)

OP
OP
R

roadie114

Sep 4, 2012
Thanks man. I know that the Big Bear area and Holcomb Valley had a lot of activity in the past, and these creeks come down from Big Bear. Do you have any good resources to locate some local clubs?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best way to locate the local clubs would be talking to the local mining shops. :)
Also use google.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heya, welcome to the forums. :)

I dont really know that area very well but what I did when I started looking at places where to prospect I used google to try to find old mine claims, load claims and where they hit the creek and researched how most of the gold got here.
Also checking in with BLM and Forestry Service is a good step but FS will be up to date.
Learning how to use LR2000 from BLM is also a huge help in finding where gold may be, knowing where claims may be and knowing where open land is.

The massive quartz loads go north and south for the most part in California because of the pacific plate subduction to the North American plate, there is more geology into it than that but that gives you an idea of how this came to be.

It is also a good idea to join a local prospecting club that has claims, that will put you right in the gold and you dont have to worry about stepping onto someone elses claim.

Good luck and happy panny. :)
NeoTokyo, Give my brother TimC a PM. He KNOWS how to navigate the LR2000 website. He can get you down to who has OPEN or CLOSED claims in your area. TTC

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I will give him a PM a little later when I figure out a couple area's I want to look into. :)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I will give him a PM a little later when I figure out a couple area's I want to look into. :)
You will need to know.... The Meridian, township, Range, and section of the area. He can help you figure that out to..... if he has the maps of the areas you are talking to him about. He will help you. (If you are talking about CA, he should have them.) TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread