Gold prospecting in South Carolina

Cstyle00

Greenie
Dec 20, 2012
Hey fellow prospectors and treasure hunters. I started this thread to see what people had to say about gold still in South Carolina. I aq'uired a small tract of land in Smyrna, York County. Land has been untouched since the California rush (except the little old lady that lived there since 1912). Basically I'm wondering has anyone ever picked up a nug in SC. I understand that it would be rare and would be quartz, not like a nug found in the west. If anyone knows of the Dixon Mine, Martin Mine, Horn Mine, or Southern Gold Mine which all closed in 1939 I think by Roosevelt because of the war. I'm near there. They were pulling some good size nugs from the myths. So let me know of your stories of gold found in SC.

Using a White's GMT. So far about 20 hrs. prospecting. Digging everything under 85% iron somtimes I dig targets anyway off of fence lines. Slow going lots of nails and .22 cal. bullets in rocky soil. Found a few buttons with no markings and some worn down axe heads about 14" down under large roots. Makes you wonder what happened to make someone be so careless with such a valuable asset of the time. I'm going to search it all of course, consentrating on the tickest areas of the forest first since the leaves are down and try to hit as many ridges and hillsides before summer slows things even worse. I'm detecting the area first then I'll dig some prostpecting pits. What gold have you guys seen in SC?

Upvote 0

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey djpitr
Thanks for the reply, but what do you mean by (look at the rocks in the creek)?

Damien
Shoot back to page 2. Sideshow and behappyjason and a couple of other guys are probably your neighbors. Talk to them and they may be able to help you out. Good luck

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2 , XP Deus , ctx3030
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look for crystallized quartz, and lot of mica,

sideshowmick

Jun 24, 2013
hidden valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damien.
Rocks will direct you to the gold.look for Quartz rocks like these .

ForumRunner_20140203_213033.png

ForumRunner_20140203_212936.png

You can try crushing and panning but I recomend a sluice or a highbanker. I built mine from lumber.

ForumRunner_20140203_212559.png

ForumRunner_20140203_213514.png

Definitely try panning some smashed bbs first. Oh and DEFINITELY get a set of classifiers. I hope you find lode!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140203_213300.png
    ForumRunner_20140203_213300.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 127

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Lets say .... I will tell you i have creek behind my house full of gold , i will go and make it easy for you , and go fill up bag of gravel ( i will guarantee you will find at least 1/2 gram of gold in it . Anybody wants it for $40 ? Come on any takers ? Easy Gold how manny bags your want ?

Is that how much they charged you when you filmed this video at Cotton Patch?

Why bash pay to play locations when you yourself are advertising them? And Thermal City is only 10 bucks, not 40.

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody has a learning curve. For most It doesn't take long to figure out the pay to play deal. Some folks though keep falling below the learning curve it seems . To each their own.

sideshowmick

Jun 24, 2013
hidden valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure I want a bunch of people in my creek everyday but it does sound profitable. Nothing beats finding color in the pan though. I think it will be hard to sell it. I look at it so often. Man this fevers got a HOLD on me!!

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Thanks Dj. Now that was funny , I don't care who you are !

It wasn't funny in the least to me which should speak more about my character then others. There are a lot of older and disabled prospectors who cant get out the way some of us can. Their only option is to buy pay dirt and he wants to ridicule them for buying that and you think its funny?

Scams like the one he posted are all too common. And they are exactly that, scams and ways of taking advantage of people. Thermal City is a legitimate business that digs their dirt onsite from placer pits with back hoes that are expensive to run off diesel. At ten bucks its a deal you think you could reach the twenty plus feet of the old depositional bench placers without a back hoe or excavator? Its not salted or measured out like at some places. I also dislike the places that do that, which is why I dont go to such places nor advertise for them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foothills Gold... Read our rules; no insults or attacks....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Astro
I also filmed Thermal city here

And i like all those places , to take my family and to learn about history of gold mining , now is that really prospecting ?

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's character are you talking about ? I thought djptr's post was hilarious ! I guess you'd have to be there to understand maybe not.

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After debating I've decided to be silent and not post on TNet . There are too many inflated egos and legends in their own minds. If any of you guys need anything message me and I'll get back to you. As for the previous post it doesn't matter. When you rate someone else's character behind a keyboard and not face to face that speaks volumes in itself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After debating I've decided to be silent and not post on TNet . There are too many inflated egos and legends in their own minds. If any of you guys need anything message me and I'll get back to you. As for the previous post it doesn't matter. When you rate someone else's character behind a keyboard and not face to face that speaks volumes in itself.

FOOTHILLS you could could have just posted...

"I've decided to be silent and not post on TNet."

There was no need to add insults to your post.... Please stop the insults and implied insults....

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has almost become comical . How is the truth being insulting ? Censorship in a public forum ? Opinions are subject ? I don't think so.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has almost become comical . How is the truth being insulting ? Censorship in a public forum ? Opinions are subject ? I don't think so.

TreasureNet is a private business with public access. We have rules and Terms of Service YOU agreed to when you post here....

It is not open for debate, follow our rules....

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please dont get upset. I would like to see you still active on this forum. Not everyone will always see eye to eye. And that is what makes this a great tool. It allows us to share our views and ideas possibly overlooked by others. I enjoy your posts and hope you stay around. If you are or do get offended, i agree it needs to be voiced, but maybe not by lashing back being purposely offensive because of someones ideas or theories or statements.

So post a pic of some gold already!

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang :( ........ All this because my sarcastic comment .
Well im sorry , i was making joke and didnot meen to offend nobady .

And i m sorry for my english :) im not born american , so im doing my best :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread