Gold prospecting in South Carolina

Cstyle00

Greenie
Dec 20, 2012
Hey fellow prospectors and treasure hunters. I started this thread to see what people had to say about gold still in South Carolina. I aq'uired a small tract of land in Smyrna, York County. Land has been untouched since the California rush (except the little old lady that lived there since 1912). Basically I'm wondering has anyone ever picked up a nug in SC. I understand that it would be rare and would be quartz, not like a nug found in the west. If anyone knows of the Dixon Mine, Martin Mine, Horn Mine, or Southern Gold Mine which all closed in 1939 I think by Roosevelt because of the war. I'm near there. They were pulling some good size nugs from the myths. So let me know of your stories of gold found in SC.

Using a White's GMT. So far about 20 hrs. prospecting. Digging everything under 85% iron somtimes I dig targets anyway off of fence lines. Slow going lots of nails and .22 cal. bullets in rocky soil. Found a few buttons with no markings and some worn down axe heads about 14" down under large roots. Makes you wonder what happened to make someone be so careless with such a valuable asset of the time. I'm going to search it all of course, consentrating on the tickest areas of the forest first since the leaves are down and try to hit as many ridges and hillsides before summer slows things even worse. I'm detecting the area first then I'll dig some prostpecting pits. What gold have you guys seen in SC?

Upvote 0

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smitty, i could be wrong, but id try at the end of that stream just before the bend. Looks like an elevation in the bedrock where thoes cobbles are pileing up before what it looks like a hard left turn in the stream. On smaller streams, gold can be about anywhere. Looks to me with the gathering of cobbles there, it could be a low pressure zone at flood stage. it also has a slight drop right at the turn directly after the "cobble bar" ends. Might be a good place to poke around.

Smittytwins2

Mar 18, 2014
Newberry, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys I think I need some help with this location. I know it's got to have good gold From the pictures you can see in earlier post. The location is not all that far from some of the mines, and a lot of black sand, waterfalls, silver/grey clay, and a lot of big quartz. I just don't think I know what I need to be looking for. I have found some flakes there, But the rocks are even wilder to look at. I don't know what I'm really doing I guess. Would love to have someone with some experience maybe to come out and help out. I was thinking of getting a turbo sluice box. Then just sampling the area.

Apr 22, 2014
Myrtle Beach, SC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for posting this Link

here is some more good reading material about history of the Carolina's gold

http://nationalregister.sc.gov/SurveyReports/HC29003.pdf

enjoy!!

Thanks Jason for posting this link to the History of Carolina's Gold. This is an outstanding introduction to gold in the Carolinas and it might just get me out looking. I plan to retire in a few years, probably go out to do placer mining in a variety of California Federal lands. It would be nice to gather equipment, and practice using it for real prior to making that plunge. I grew up in California so have fond memories of panning in various rivers there with my Father.

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2 , XP Deus , ctx3030
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Little gold from todays trip in creek

Attachments

• image-450013691.png
    image-450013691.png
    338.4 KB · Views: 220
  • image-3305547089.png
    image-3305547089.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 236
  • image-841523677.png
    image-841523677.png
    361.9 KB · Views: 229

sluicelee

Feb 21, 2013
Upcountry, SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Pro, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot going on in that specimen :-)
Super find, thanks for sharing it.

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a while how's everyone been doing this year. School been keeping me busy so I haven't got out much. That nice looking mick you still digging the creek.

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this out of a 5 gallon bucket of dirt that I got from my stream to pan because the stream is dried up.

Attachments

• image-3698817121.jpg
    image-3698817121.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 161

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good sign Jason...dig deeper'

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deeper was the plan. I usually get gold in the clay all over the stream and until now with water in it I could not really get down to bedrock. Since the stream is dried up I decide to try. The picture shows what I got from just ontop the bedrock and was from a spot no bigger then the bucket. It's cool because the local gold mine is after micro gold and I didn't think I would find anything that was pan able. What I am trying to figure out now is the source. When looking at the gold magnified it is rough so this tells me it has not traveled far. The gold is mostly on the west side of the stream and is found in all the clay on the bank and in the stream it's self. It is looking more and more that the gold is in the bedrock and being freed as it decays. So I will have to find some bedrock and have it assayed to be sure.

sluicelee

Feb 21, 2013
Upcountry, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice color behappyjason, I hope you find the source. That clay can be hard to work with.
Here's some gold from a recent SC prospecting trip. Got off work early one day and decided to hit the creek.
Done some panning and found some nice color. Worked the creek bed and got on a clay layer.

panning1.JPG panning2.JPG panning.JPG panning3.JPG

Last edited:

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the hole I have been working. Pulled 4 buckets out from the crevices and stuff. I'm excited to see what's in this.

Attachments

• image-2181663161.jpg
    image-2181663161.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 327

sluicelee

Feb 21, 2013
Upcountry, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason, hope you find some nice gold in those 4 buckets you pulled.
Yeah, Kershaw is a good bit southeast from where I usually prospect, but it looks like your finding some nice color and your close to the beach, that's a win, win in my book :-)

Last edited:

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what panned out. Most of it was from -100 mesh but a couple pieces where 50 mesh. Not bad for this area where it's supposed to be microscopic.

Attachments

• image-421630877.jpg
    image-421630877.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 253

Patrick.Peake

Jul 29, 2014
Fort Gordon, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started this hobby since I got stationed in Fort Jackson. I'm an off-and-on Columbia native (military family on both sides) and of course I'm keeping the family tradition.

I live in Blythewood and I was driving to see my uncle who is in a hospital in ridgeway off of 34. As I was driving I passed by the old Ridgeway mine and I had no idea gold could be found around here. I tried to find accessable creeks near the mine but all of them are fenced off or signs posted, I was going to wait until winter to start but it's tough if all the creeks are private property.

Anyone else in my area (Blythewood/Ridgeway) that would like to not only teach a novice but have a buddy to dig holes who is an expert at such a task?

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang Jason, looks like you are digging a regular mine there. You make that mine/hole any bigger and you're going to have to add rafter logs to support the ceiling. :laughing7:

You SC guys don't get too disheartened by the size of the gold you are finding. We have potential here and sooner or later someone is going to find a nugget that makes the news. I'd heard a tale that long ago a kid found a 2 pound nugget in a stream in Greenville County. Not knowing whether it was true or just a tall tale, cause prospecting is like fishing, prospectors have been known to exaggerate the size of other peoples finds, just like it's always the big fish that get away.

So I decided to do a search online for nuggets found in SC. When I saw this it about blew my socks off my feet!

Most of South Carolina's early production was from placer deposits, with the most productive being the Tanyard Pit and Brewer Mine (1.5 miles west of Jefferson). The Martin Mine (1 mile west of Smyrna) has also produced a considerable amount of placer gold. In fact, a gold nugget weighing 27 pounds was recovered in a field just north of this mine in the 1890s.

South Carolina Gold Prospecting and Panning

Needless to say, if there was one there's got to be more out there somewhere. It, or they, are probably deep down in the dirt sitting on the bedrock waiting for one of us to dig it out. In the meantime I'll keep panning the flour stuff. With enough flour you can make some dough$$! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Jason, looks like you are digging a regular mine there. You make that mine/hole any bigger and you're going to have to add rafter logs to support the ceiling. :laughing7: You SC guys don't get too disheartened by the size of the gold you are finding. We have potential here and sooner or later someone is going to find a nugget that makes the news. I'd heard a tale that long ago a kid found a 2 pound nugget in a stream in Greenville County. Not knowing whether it was true or just a tall tale, cause prospecting is like fishing, prospectors have been known to exaggerate the size of other peoples finds, just like it's always the big fish that get away. So I decided to do a search online for nuggets found in SC. When I saw this it about blew my socks off my feet! Needless to say, if there was one there's got to be more out there somewhere. It, or they, are probably deep down in the dirt sitting on the bedrock waiting for one of us to dig it out. In the meantime I'll keep panning the flour stuff. With enough flour you can make some dough$$! :icon_thumleft:

Stand
You are right there is great possibilities in sc and nc. A lot does depend on where u are located though. The geology of the Carolina's is very different to the geology in the west. The gold is bigger as u move towards the mountains and away from the coastal plains. The big difference that i am noticing is the economical gold deposits are from the small stuff. Haile gold mine is going to be mining an approximate of 3 mil ounces of gold over the next 15 years or so. The deposits are mostly microscopic gold but there is a lot of it. But you never know it may be connected to a something even bigger.

And about the hole. Lol it's only 3 to 4 ft deep.

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More form the hole. Looks like I got my first tiny picker. Lol not bad for 5 buckets. Gonna keep on diggin!

Attachments

• image-2054880230.jpg
    image-2054880230.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 221

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread