Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin fantastic!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin' fantastic!!!

Unbelievable video of big North American gold nuggets + new finds, pics, videos added: a live thread, so please post your gold shots.
I'll add other videos or stills of big nuggety North American gold as I find them.

This video starts slow, but it's shot underground, so give it a while and then watch out that you don't have a freakin' heart attack!!

I hope you love looking at this as much as I did--every placer miner's dream come true. If you're a rookie, you'll get the fever bad watching this one. (To avoid any confusion, this is not my video, nor is it my clean-up, nor was I involved in any way--I found it by mistake after typing in a search word incorrectly [that's why I'd never found it before], but I sure do love it!!)

Almost 3,800 ounces in the last shot--fines are in the large plastic bags. 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle!

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. I posted it with my beginner's thread as well, but it's so great it deserves it's own place too.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome vid !!!

Wow I'd like to run my dredge in there sluice for a bit ...
That sure makes the old brain dream a little ...wonder what kind of withdraws ill have from watching this one? He'll I'm already shaking ...lol
Looks like those Boy will be smiling for awhile...
Gary

I agree with you all the way. I know you wouldn't be able to pry the smile off my face with a crowbar!

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My my Lanny,
You've just compounded the misery of many a miner though I'm not hearing any complaints! There is just something about gold that
causes a commotion within a person that just seems like it can never be kept under control, even in the winter. The gold you've shown
us puts my little pile I found in 2010 to shame but that is okay by me as I still had fun finding it and sharing the pictures of it.

The shoulder surgery is getting close to happening. I told the folks in China that I was no longer interested in their position so I will
be staying state side and that is ok by me. Now for all three surgeries to be done, recovered from and good and strong again.

Thank you for the heart palpitations................63bbbbbbkpkr

Holy jumpin' dynamite Herb--you'll be the bionic gold diggin' wonder by the time you're finished with all of your surgeries. I sure hope everything works out for you.

It sounds like a good choice to stay stateside Herb.

All the best,

Lanny

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Watch that vid- last night laying in bed just befor crashing ... And guess it provoked some strange dreaming ! In my dream we use a dredge to bore a hole thru some moutain where we found loads of gold !! Funny thing was the dredge managed to bore through the rock but we notice it woulnt seperate the gold from the rocks !
How funny We'll guess ya can't win them all I will say I was rather impressed with the power of my dredge thou! ;)

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Video,Absolutely Fantastic,Thanks for sharing!!!

HH John

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Watch that vid- last night laying in bed just befor crashing ... And guess it provoked some strange dreaming ! In my dream we use a dredge to bore a hole thru some moutain where we found loads of gold !! Funny thing was the dredge managed to bore through the rock but we notice it woulnt seperate the gold from the rocks !
How funny We'll guess ya can't win them all I will say I was rather impressed with the power of my dredge thou! ;)

That's quite the dream all right--that video is guilty of producing some fantastic dreams.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
After watching the videos in this thread anyone that doesn't get the fever is either A: immune to being rich or B: DEAD!! :angel10:

I've seen some nice deposits over the years but NOTHING LIKE THAT!!!!! Now... To convince the "MUCH Better Half" on where to take a vacation... ;)

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After watching the videos in this thread anyone that doesn't get the fever is either A: immune to being rich or B: DEAD!! :angel10:

I've seen some nice deposits over the years but NOTHING LIKE THAT!!!!! Now... To convince the "MUCH Better Half" on where to take a vacation... ;)

Nicely said!

Thanks for dropping in, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is some interesting historical material taken from and out of print, copyright expired book (1900): Gold Mines and Mining by Hurley, Thomas, Jefferson.

It's all about the great gold that was found in the good old days.

Gold Nugget from Atlin Lake District, British Columbia.

The nugget was found on Spruce Creek; it was taken out 126 feet below the surface. Its weight is 84 ounces, and the contents in pure gold are estimated at 50 ounces. It was found on July 8th, 1899. Its value is about $1,000. We have reports of thousands of golden nuggets the size of beans, and worth about $1 each, and hundreds the size of gravel stones. We are indebted to the late George M. Dawson, Director of Mines for Canada, for the fact that a nugget weighing 52 ounces was found on a branch of the Gilbert River, Province of Quebec, in 1866, and another later weighing 45 ounces. The circumstances of finding the nugget was as follows:

A little girl named Clotilde Gilbert was crossing a ford of the stream when she found in the sand a nugget about the size of a pigeon's egg. Her own account as given by Mrs. Chapman is as follows:

"My father sent me on Sunday morning for a horse in the field to go to mass; when crossing the stream I saw something shining along- side the water and took it up to show my father. I never thought that such a pebble would make so much noise afterwards."

No other discovery has been made on this continent that so closely resembles the Yukon diggings as the sandbars along the American, Yuba, Stanislaus and Trinity Rivers, in California, in the memorable years of 1848-49-'50. But the most important nugget ever found in the United States, and around which the most interest centers for Americans, not because of its size, but because its finding marked the dawn of a new era for the Pacific slope, is the one found by Peter L. Winner and James W. Marshall in the year 1848. It was only about the size of a lima bean, but it started the enormous emigration from the East to the Pacific Slope and California, caused the opening up and development of her mineral industries, and was the forerunner of the more than $2,000,000,000 worth of bullion that have since been mined from the golden area of the West.

The mining claim, however, which holds the world's record for the greatest production of gold nuggets, both as to size,value and quantity, is the Reed Mine, in Cabarras County, North Carolina, within twenty-four hours' ride by rail from New York city. Taking the nuggets in the order of their weight, and not chronologically, the Reed Mine has yielded nuggets weighing 28 pounds, 17 pounds, 16 pounds,
13 pounds, 9 pounds, two 9 pounds, two 8 pounds, 5 pounds, 3 pounds, two 2 pounds, and 1, 1 pounds, and an even peck of gold the size of beans and peas. The first discovery was made by a slave, as were also the 1, 7-pound and 1, 6-pound nuggets. In addition a quartz vein has been developed that assays from $10 to $300 to the ton.

All the best,

Lanny

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lanny, for the info.

Here's a little "chunky gold" from Saturday... Well chunky for San Diego :-)

Attachments

• image-3525286314.jpg
    image-3525286314.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 135

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
My Frankenstein dredge lives!!! (And works too!) My dad gave me an old Keene backpacker box, and I found a pump attached to a backpacker frame on Craigslist for $25. Then I removed the seat from my inflatable pontoon boat and rigged it all up using whatever hoses would fit. Homemade footvalve too! U can see a tiny nugget in the 2nd picture and tons of garnet sand behind one of the riffles! My son and I were just skimming the surface material on our favorite river yesterday just to get the bugs worked out of the system. It was awesome!

ForumRunner_20130724_142255.png

ForumRunner_20130724_142317.png

ForumRunner_20130724_142330.png

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Lanny, for the info.

Here's a little "chunky gold" from Saturday... Well chunky for San Diego :-)

Nicely done! Keep at it and one of these days you'll get a piece bigger than the penny.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is probably the best thread on the whole Site! See what u started Lanny???

Thanks! There's a lot of great threads in the prospecting section, so I'm a little hesitant to agree with you, but I'll go for how awesome the pictures and videos of the gold are that others have provided.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Frankenstein dredge lives!!! (And works too!) My dad gave me an old Keene backpacker box, and I found a pump attached to a backpacker frame on Craigslist for $25. Then I removed the seat from my inflatable pontoon boat and rigged it all up using whatever hoses would fit. Homemade footvalve too! U can see a tiny nugget in the 2nd picture and tons of garnet sand behind one of the riffles! My son and I were just skimming the surface material on our favorite river yesterday just to get the bugs worked out of the system. It was awesome!

That's quite the Frankendredge you've created. I'm glad it caught some gold for you too.

What a great idea to mount it the way you did!

All the best, and congratulations on easing a little of your gold fever symptoms by getting out and getting some,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Warning: If you're prone to heart attacks, you'd better not look at this for too long.

I met a very nice nugget-shooter a couple of summer's ago. He and his wife were hunting nuggets on a friend's claim.

With his permission, he's allowed me to post a picture of one of his latest finds.

I've respected his wish not to use his name, but he was gracious enough to let me post the picture. Moreover, he told me I could tell you that it came from the Atlin district of British Columbia. That's way up north in the province, right close to Alaska and the Yukon for those of you familiar with northern gold locations.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed it.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions