Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By B H Prospector
  • 3 Post By Terry Soloman
  • 1 Post By DesertNuggets
  • 1 Post By KevinInColorado

Thread: need help

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    wilson

Feb 2013
    Grand Junction, CO
    Prospecting

need help

Hi im new to gold prospecting and i need some help with finding a place to find gold near Grand Junction Colorado?

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    21985 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

us
    wilson

Feb 2013
    Grand Junction, CO
    Prospecting
    i was trying to stay away from the clubs if i can

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    821 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Your best chances will be with a club. You will get a place to mine and get all kinds of help from experianced miners. Greenhorns should never shy away from clubs.. Welcome to the forum. you will learn alot in here.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector
    Ace2010 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    21985 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by wkristoff View Post
    i was trying to stay away from the clubs if i can
    If you were looking for a place to learn and play baseball, would you try and stay away from the local teams and fields?

Big Gold to you!

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If you were trying to learn Astro-physics, would you go to jungles of Borneo?

us
    Mar 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Gold Bug 2
    182 times
    Prospecting
    Join a club.
    Goodyguy likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10446 times
    Prospecting
    Or at least something informal like connecting with a few more experienced folks who live near you.

There is some fine gold in the Colorado River fairly near you and also on waterways an hour or so south but you need local expertise to find the spots worth going...or a LOT of patience to do your own web research or sample panning.

us
    wilson

Feb 2013
    Grand Junction, CO
    Prospecting
    do you think it would be a good idea to join the GPAA to learn what they have to offer and see what i can learn from them? also do you think that would be a good investment to do?

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10446 times
    Prospecting
    Maybe. You don't have to join to attend the meetings so go to a local meeting and see if the people you meet use a GPAA claim regularly or (more likely) don't but instead have some other spots they go.
    Goodyguy likes this.

us
    wilson

Feb 2013
    Grand Junction, CO
    Prospecting
    Okay thank you

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10446 times
    Prospecting
    Sent a private message...

us
    Jan 2010
    Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
    Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
    109 times
    Prospecting - Gold and Silver
    The Grand Junction GPAA has some claims near Gateway Colorado (I have been there - Drywash or work the river - altho you may need a 20 foot ladder to get to the river in most places). There are GPAA claims on the Deloris river. Gateway Colorado is pretty much in the middle of nowhere and because you are in a deep stone gorge, you will not get any Cell coverage.

We also Detected there with my White's GMT - found a few small pickers. One nice thing was there was practically no trash (highly unusual from my experiance of detecting known gold sites) - we were dry washing too.

This place is around 60 miles from Grand Junction. All of the good access areas here that are not on private property are claimed.
    Last edited by jmoller99; Feb 11, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
    Whites GMT, Whites GM Vsat, Whites 5900, Gold Mountain King Cobra, Bounty Hunter 3300

us
    wilson

Feb 2013
    Grand Junction, CO
    Prospecting
    Is the sluicing there worth it? If you spend all day there will you get a good amount of gold?

us
    Jan 2010
    Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
    Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
    109 times
    Prospecting - Gold and Silver
    If you have right equipment, you will do ok (however, like all gold in Colorado, there tends to be a lot more fine gold than gold bigger than .1 gram). I use a Gold Cube and in doing so, use a battery powered pump (1000 to 1200 GPH) to feed the Gold Cube, along with a 1/8 inch (8 mesh) screen. If you run too much water thru it, you will loose the fine (100+ mesh) gold. What this says is that I don't use a traditional sluice (you tend to lose lots of the fine gold with them here). The guys at the Grand Junction GPAA (that own claims there) are finding enough that they use the claims a lot - You really need to talk with them - My trip there was over a weekend in 2011.

NOTE: Gateway Colorado is a town without much of anything there. There is a 4 star resort very nearby and is very expensive (they sell fuel and supplies, but you will want to stock up before hand because of the cost). You can camp on the claims if you are a member of the club (GPAA has general claims here too).

I attached a picture (my handicapped wife is on her scooter metal detecting - in the yellow shirt), Alton Oakes (treasurer of our Colorado Springs GPAA) working the dry washer and and another member of the club looking on. Across the road is the river, as I say, you would need a 20 foot ladder to get to the river at this location (and a machete to cut a path to get to it). The ancient river bed is about 6 inches under the ground people are standing on - that is where were were prospecting. There is cactus everywhere. There are places you can pull off that is right on the river (claimed by the Grand Junction club), but that is not where we were digging (also a claimed site). There was gold here.

A 12 Volt canister vacuum would have been good to have along. The 2nd picture shows that was not much digging to get to original bedrock (we ended up sweeping it up as best we could once you went thru the overburden). Bring a lot of water, you'll dehydrate in the sun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gateway2.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	739632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gateway3.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	739636  
    Last edited by jmoller99; Feb 11, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
    Whites GMT, Whites GM Vsat, Whites 5900, Gold Mountain King Cobra, Bounty Hunter 3300

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links