Gold in Sacramento? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Gold in Sacramento?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2013
    Cottonwood, CA
    96 times
    Prospecting
    Love this thread. I'm getting all kinds of ideas now - LOL.

No detecting though huh? Hmmm. I tried a gold bug once up in alaska at crow creek mine years ago. Had no idea what I was doing at the time, hence nothing was found. Now after watching youtube videos - I wanna try again.

us
    Jul 2012
    colfax, ca
    Garrett gtax 400
    181 times
    Prospecting
    Eagle: nice tip! Never thought of that, going to look for those little buggers every time I detect tailings from now on

Feb 2013
    18 times
    The tailings over there have always called to me but alas I do not own a detector, and I don't know if its even possible to find some pay dirt under one of those mountains of rock.

Feb 2013
    18 times
    But you know there has to be some leftover goodies out there in one of those thousand piles.
    It would be nice to know where the first tailings were piled. Has any of you found anything metal detecting out there

us
    Jul 2012
    colfax, ca
    Garrett gtax 400
    181 times
    Prospecting
    Dan: nope, never tried as I have a crappy coin detector.
    Hefty1: you live in sac, right? Ever done any detectin 'round the tailing piles by rancho cordova and folsom?

us
    Jan 2013
    Cottonwood, CA
    96 times
    Prospecting
    I see most of those tailing piles overlap. But there are areas where they do not. Would these be missed spots? Or just areas that have been leveled out over time. And there's a lot of 'almost ravines' between the tailing piles where trees and brush have sprung up. Have to be low spots it would seem. Maybe not worked either?

us
    Mar 2009
    Grainte Bay
    Coinmaster/Di
    158 times
    Dan don.t movie a large pile of rocks take a pan and bucket go around the piles. look around there bases for piles of dirt that look it may have been a clay ball the clay breaks down. put the dirt in a bucket and go pan. I have seen some big ones from there.

us
    Jan 2013
    Cottonwood, CA
    96 times
    Prospecting
    Check this story out. "There's gold in those tailings!"

Gold in Tailings

A lot of good tips in there.
    Fullpan likes this.

Feb 2013
    18 times
    Good idea about the clay, can't say that I've seen anything quite like that though. And I've been all over from folsom powerhouse to hazel . Its all old, washed rock. So you would have to dig in at least a little, to get to at any kind of sands, so how do you pick the hill? I'm NOT a dowser lol.

us
    Mar 2009
    Grainte Bay
    Coinmaster/Di
    158 times
    How to find the Gold in the piles? 1. stand on top of the pile looking east when the sun come up hold your left hand palm up in front of your face. 2. now spit into your palm, with your right hand make a 2 finger boy scout salute and strick your left palm, see were the largest part goes. then go the other way. Sorry I couldn't stop myself . I will say that a old miner that lived on natomas st. work the piles for many years showed me mason jars full of nugs. I have tried the tailing piles and didn't find spit. the dredges dug down 30 ft. for the gold and they were after the fines so you will not find the fine stuff. If you look at the holes that Teckert are making they are about 30 to 40 feet deep but they are only looking for sand right. They can destroy the farm land and not fill there holes but we can't dredge because of a little muddy water.
    Fullpan likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    colfax, ca
    Garrett gtax 400
    181 times
    Prospecting
    Damn teichart! A man who once worked for teichart told me they make enough gold every day to pay the wages of their employees. I believe it; look at the canyon they dug out of Cool...

Feb 2013
    18 times
    I thought that they got mostly the larger gold and missed all the fine stuff.

us
    Jan 2013
    Cottonwood, CA
    96 times
    Prospecting
    Well, I worked the tailings at Mississippi Bar yesterday. Probably not a great job, but I kept at it all day. Nada. I even went in to the trees in between the rows and panned some. I stuck to the sides of the tailings, checking and kicking - nothing but cobbles. I did not see clay, balls or not, so assume I'm missing something. I had fun looking at all the different types of rock. And there was some great quartz, all kinds of colors. But alas, no nuggies. Around 3 pm I tried a little digging up on the sides of the bluff heading towards the dam, at the end of Main Ave. Still nada.

I think that's a job for a detector. Didn't see anyone but dog walkers and bicyclists all day. Wonder if anyone would 'catch' me if I wandered around with a gold bug. It's amazing how much earth they moved with those dredges.

On another note, I hit Mammoth Bar on the Middle Fork AR today and had a blast. Of course, just as I was finding some spots to work, it was time to go. Won't be back in the area for quite awhile, so guess I'm done for a bit. I can definitely see that I need a bazooka. I saw good color and if I could have moved more dirt, I'd have had a great showing. As it is, I got my fix and a snuffer bottle of black sand to process.

My next trip should be Eldorado forest for an extended stay. And yes, I'm taking a homemade bazooka this time. Can't wait.

us
    Jul 2012
    colfax, ca
    Garrett gtax 400
    181 times
    Prospecting
    That sounds great, sid! Glad you were having fun. Keep at it and the gold will come to you!

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11086 times
    Prospecting
    Yay Sid!

Where's your pic of the gold?
    Aufisher likes this.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links