Gold in Sacramento?

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
I have been here. if you park on the right side you can go down to the creek and follow it all the way to negro bar. not much gold down there. it has a deep ravine and is hard to work. there used to be minning camp along there a good place to metal deteck

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dan: no, nevrr trird that creek. Is it the same one that runs through shady oaks disc golf course?

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
....... Don"t go to Rancho Murietta bridge you can"t park there anymore I use to live in the old Grandlee ranch home with the river in my back yard before it was Rancho Murietta

I was just looking at all those no parking signs on google maps last night. Bummed me out as I was hoping on stopping there Fri. Gold creek bridge looks easy to get to. Same with miners park.

Looking at all the dredging piles all over sac is pretty impressive. I see them everywhere. You get the impression there's not alot of land they didn't dredge that's for sure. Maybe work those areas next to the old taillings? Find some spots they missed? I see some interesting spots around mississippi bar and further down. Wonder how far away from the river they actually dredged.

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
they dredge right up to the bluffs on the north side and a mile or so on the south side what they missed was large nugs

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, just looking at that area from white rock road to 50. That's a lot of dirt moved around.

How about Willow creek in folsom?

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those old bucket line dredges made their own waterways, just google map missippi bar or sunset and main to see the way they cut into the river bank and cut their own channels. if I evrr get a gold bug 2 or gmt I think I ll go search over the tailing piles out there.

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those old bucket line dredges made their own waterways, just google map missippi bar or sunset and main to see the way they cut into the river bank and cut their own channels. if I evrr get a gold bug 2 or gmt I think I ll go search over the tailing piles out there.

Mississippi bar is all park right? So it would be okay to pan and detect? I like the look of those tailings.

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sid: yes to panning, no to detectoring, I believe. Never seen any law enforcement out there anyway, as far as following the rules. Most parks along there are "pans and hands" only, no shovels, motorized, electric prospecting allowed...

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
If you detect the tailing piles look for what was a clay balls they pick up nugs and took them out of the sluice box and drop then on the tailing piles

Last edited:

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love this thread. I'm getting all kinds of ideas now - LOL.

No detecting though huh? Hmmm. I tried a gold bug once up in alaska at crow creek mine years ago. Had no idea what I was doing at the time, hence nothing was found. Now after watching youtube videos - I wanna try again. :)

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle: nice tip! Never thought of that, going to look for those little buggers every time I detect tailings from now on

Quickpan Dan

Feb 2, 2013
The tailings over there have always called to me but alas I do not own a detector, and I don't know if its even possible to find some pay dirt under one of those mountains of rock.

Quickpan Dan

Feb 2, 2013
But you know there has to be some leftover goodies out there in one of those thousand piles.
It would be nice to know where the first tailings were piled. Has any of you found anything metal detecting out there

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dan: nope, never tried as I have a crappy coin detector.
Hefty1: you live in sac, right? Ever done any detectin 'round the tailing piles by rancho cordova and folsom?

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see most of those tailing piles overlap. But there are areas where they do not. Would these be missed spots? Or just areas that have been leveled out over time. And there's a lot of 'almost ravines' between the tailing piles where trees and brush have sprung up. Have to be low spots it would seem. Maybe not worked either?

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
Dan don.t movie a large pile of rocks take a pan and bucket go around the piles. look around there bases for piles of dirt that look it may have been a clay ball the clay breaks down. put the dirt in a bucket and go pan. I have seen some big ones from there.

Quickpan Dan

Feb 2, 2013
Good idea about the clay, can't say that I've seen anything quite like that though. And I've been all over from folsom powerhouse to hazel . Its all old, washed rock. So you would have to dig in at least a little, to get to at any kind of sands, so how do you pick the hill? I'm NOT a dowser lol.

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
How to find the Gold in the piles? 1. stand on top of the pile looking east when the sun come up hold your left hand palm up in front of your face. 2. now spit into your palm, with your right hand make a 2 finger boy scout salute and strick your left palm, see were the largest part goes. then go the other way. Sorry I couldn't stop myself . I will say that a old miner that lived on natomas st. work the piles for many years showed me mason jars full of nugs. I have tried the tailing piles and didn't find spit. the dredges dug down 30 ft. for the gold and they were after the fines so you will not find the fine stuff. If you look at the holes that Teckert are making they are about 30 to 40 feet deep but they are only looking for sand right. They can destroy the farm land and not fill there holes but we can't dredge because of a little muddy water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread