Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Quartz rocks and gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2011
    Shelbyville,KY
    6 times

Quartz rocks and gold

OK, guys and girls. I need some info. I have Googled this and searched this site for an answer, I haven't found one yet. I own a piece of property in Virginia in a known gold producing area. While building my house and doing some rock hounding I discovered several huge quartz crystals. Some 5-6" across and perfectly shaped. Iv'e been reading that quartz and gold travel together. I just haven't found anything about gold and quartz crystals. The quartz seem to be in a loose rock formation. I hope that is the right terminology. because I find large quartz rocks on the surface. There are two small creeks that run through my property and Iv'e always told the wife that someday I wanted to run a gold pan through the creek. As with everything in life, we got busy and wound up moving before I got to it. There is a lot of red clay on the property and lots of quartz on the bank behind the house. I have not done any panning yet because I'm 600 miles away. I have the house up for sale or rent, I do plan on going there soon before another renter moves in. I was just looking for any advise or knowledge on the subject before I made the trip. I also plan on running my medal detector over the site with a little more patience. Thanks in advance for any input.

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    Murfreesboro tn
    221 times
    Prospecting
    Not a expert but five minutes of,panning will tell ya what ya need to know!!!

I never herd of gold in quartz crystals usally in quartz ribbons and stringers . Te red clay is a good sign along with quartz rocks
    But speculation all can be devolved in a few minutes of panning
    austin likes this.
    It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who your not!

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    629 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The quartz usually found with gold is a milky white quartz. Can't say I have ever heard of gold with crystals either. Like G1 said, several sample pans will answer the questions.
    Good Luck!
    B H Prospector

us
    Dec 2008
    austin,texas
    Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer
    379 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hey Pat you might check out this web site WELCOME TO WWW.IOWAGOLD.NET YOUR SOURCE FOR PROSPECTING INFO ,scroll down the page and look on the left for "where to find gold in your state".

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    1741 times
    Metal detecting for gold and Surface Suction Sluicing, AKA Triple-S mining.
    The three rules of prospecting: 1. Test 2. Test 3. Test

Read up on panning and other techniques (there's a thread on here somewhere with the basics on it that I posted, with lots of video links), and then follow the three rules of prospecting to find out if your dirt has any gold. I agree with the others that quartz crystals don't seem to be the right sign, milky or heavily stained quartz is better.

All the best,

Lanny

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .
    kuger likes this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    May 2011
    Shelbyville,KY
    6 times
    Yhanks for the info guys. I'll let you know what I find.

us
    Jun 2009
    Blue Ridge, South Carolina
    292 times
    Here's a good read on how the quartz crystals form. The Quartz Page: Formation and Growth
    DizzyDigger and Lanny in AB like this.
    Sample till you find the hot spot, then mine it till its gone! Then start over...

us
    May 2009
    Garden Valley, ca.
    Gold Bug Pro
    1784 times
    I have found gold in the same area as crystals. I have found crystals in my dredge cons. I have a crystal with Gold in it ,Kuger has some too I believe. I have been told by a few fellow miners that they move on when they are finding crystals I believe that to be folly. The way I see it is if you find quartz in sevaral different forms in one locality there were varying conditions present during intrusion and you are more likely to find gold.

us
    Feb 2008
    N. Calif
    Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
    49 times
    I agree with PVille. A great example of high crystalline deposits with gold is the Majuba placers.
    Goldwasher likes this.

May 2012
    nevada
    1481 times
    I agree with Hemisteve - lots of nice clear quartz crystals have been found lying next to shallow gold nugget deposits near Lovelock NV. (Majuba Placers)
    kuger and Goldwasher like this.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    1741 times
    Metal detecting for gold and Surface Suction Sluicing, AKA Triple-S mining.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvillehunter View Post
    I have found gold in the same area as crystals. I have found crystals in my dredge cons. I have a crystal with Gold in it ,Kuger has some too I believe. I have been told by a few fellow miners that they move on when they are finding crystals I believe that to be folly. The way I see it is if you find quartz in sevaral different forms in one locality there were varying conditions present during intrusion and you are more likely to find gold.
    You do have a point it seems; it's just never been part of my gold hunting experience, but now that I've read your rationale, it makes sense. I did find some nice crystals in a pocket once, and there was a lot of nice galena shot through the surrounding rock, so where minerals were so obviously in solution, crystals and metals should accompany the process.

All the best,

Lanny
    Goldwasher likes this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    1332 times
    Research and occasional field work
    If those quartz crystals are as big and perfect as you say, they are worth some major money. Check into that.
    kuger likes this.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2651 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by B H Prospector View Post
    The quartz usually found with gold is a milky white quartz. Can't say I have ever heard of gold with crystals either. Like G1 said, several sample pans will answer the questions.
    Good Luck!
    B H Prospector

Def. associated,some of the finest crystals in the world have come from gold mines
    New Crystal pics
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

us
    Sep 2012
    Oroville
    99.00 something or other from big 5
    61 times
    Thanks for all the great info everybody, but I must say I was actually hoping to take one form or more of quartz off the list. Guess I will just keep looking through all of it. At least I think it's pretty stuff.
    OBD

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1654 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Pat, Quartz is the most common mineral on earth. Probably in every state and county in USA. Gold is more often associated with the "pyrites" Chalcopyrite (copper sulfide), Pyrite (iron sulfide), Galena (lead sulfide) and other minerals such as Malacite or Sphalerite. The main link between these minerals, including quartz is they are all formed by hydrothermal solution and faulting (earthquakes). If these other minerals are found in the area, you will be more likely to find gold. TTC
    Last edited by TerryC; Mar 05, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
    kuger, Goldwasher and Lanny in AB like this.
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors