I gotta be honest the Idea is keeping me up nights lately

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am so excited about getting out there for the first time that I am having dreams about all the videos I have been watching, dreams about my setup and how its gonna run Gold sluicebox progression - YouTube and just the thoughts of gold. I know guys and of other guys that actually make a living doing this. I have spent most of my life in the woods along streams in the mountains. I have not ever thought about looking for gold before last summer when I saw a video on the web. It was a simple sluice and the guy did a half decent job of building it out of wood right there in the hills and left it when he left that day. I was amazed and hooked. He found a little gold and I found a new hobby. i have been building and planning and running the math ever since.

I am an engineer and I even modeled this thing up and ran fluid dynamic testing on it. I am so excited about it. Well since i cant sleep I think I am off to watch some videos of that beautiful yellow stuff and I bid you all good night.

Upvote 0

AlwaysBusyJ

Feb 9, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your adventure! Are you going with a friend or someone thats been prospecting the area for awhile? If you're just starting out you will learn more from an old timer in just one trip to the river than you will from watching days worth of videos. My advice if you haven't heard it already, test pan first! Your new box might be the best thing ever, but if you're not running gold bearing dirt through it then you will end up pretty frustrated at the end of the day! So make sure to test alot to make sure you are in a good area, it takes time to set everything up and get the water flow just right etc. so running a few test pans first might save you a lot of time in the end. Good luck with it, hope it catches lots of gold for you! And if you don't strike it rich right away try not to let it get you down. Seems like you're pretty smart and have some determination so if you stick with it I'm sure you'll be finding gold in no time.

Mar 6, 2013
tri cities washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WELL HEY WE LIVE IN KENNIWICK AND WE ARE BRAND NEW TO PROSPECTING BUT IVE SPENT ALOT OF HOURS WATCHING THE UTBE VIDEOS TOO WERE SO EXCITED THAT SPRING IS HERE ALREADY . WE NEED TO GET OUT IN THE WOODS TO SEE SOME DIFFRENT WAYS TO DO THINGS LEARN AS WE GO IM A PLUMBER YOUR AND ENGINEER.WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT HOW THINGS GO. AND BESIDES THAT MY GIRL FRIEND KNOWS IT ALL ANYWAY ... JUST KIDDING . WE ARE READY TO TRAVEL A BIT . CAMP. MEET SOME PEOPLE.

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
I know exactly how you feel lain. I have visions on gold nuggets dancing in my head at night lol. It took me about 4 creek trips to finally get my first piece. Don't give up if you don't find anything. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. I hope you hit gold on your first day out! Good luck!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am so excited about getting out there for the first time that I am having dreams about all the videos I have been watching, dreams about my setup and how its gonna run Gold sluicebox progression - YouTube and just the thoughts of gold. I know guys and of other guys that actually make a living doing this. I have spent most of my life in the woods along streams in the mountains. I have not ever thought about looking for gold before last summer when I saw a video on the web. It was a simple sluice and the guy did a half decent job of building it out of wood right there in the hills and left it when he left that day. I was amazed and hooked. He found a little gold and I found a new hobby. i have been building and planning and running the math ever since.

I am an engineer and I even modeled this thing up and ran fluid dynamic testing on it. I am so excited about it. Well since i cant sleep I think I am off to watch some videos of that beautiful yellow stuff and I bid you all good night.
Dreaming of sluicing? Is that what they call....... a wet dream? TTC

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome !
I'm new here too. When I was a kid, I spent a lot of summers in Warren Idaho, about 50 miles North of McCall. It was a gold mining town and still has permanent residences. Above town is Boot Hill where there are several graves of Chinese miner immigrants. They were preferred because of there small stature. I remember the Little Giant mine (behind the town & across Warren Creek and on top of dredge tailings. There are dredge ponds all over the place. There were very few active claims but this was decades ago and the only reason I bring it up is the technology of the 1800's left a lot of gold (IMHO) for others now. Make sure you can do what you want to do, where you want to be, and have fun with your new hobby.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I recommend a trip to Cache Creek Colorado. It's a BLM area just south of Leadsville dedicated to recreational prospecting. Great camp sites close to the digging. Several Porta-Johns set up at the entrance gate for convienience. No charge for camping. Although there's a 14 day limit, nobody's really worried about enforcing it. Stayed there three weeks with no problem. The host meets you at the gate and gives you the nickle tour. He also rents out and sells various equipment, as do others. Pumps, hoses, highbankers are available. Shovels and picks are in short supply though. Make sure you bring those. Lots of experienced people to network with, and you WILL find some gold. It would be hard to pick a better place for your first time out. Good Luck.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I can relate to your feelings on this as I'm pretty excited about getting back into prospecting after years away from it. I guess it helps that I've got a wonderful lady that is as interested in it as I am. I'm a MacGuyver type and will be making a lot of the equipment we'll be using so instead of dreaming of gold I' have problems getting to sleep as I think of how to fabricate all this stuff!!!

jjfish1

Greenie
Nov 20, 2011
WA,AK, now TN.
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can relate to your feelings on this as I'm pretty excited about getting back into prospecting after years away from it. I guess it helps that I've got a wonderful lady that is as interested in it as I am. I'm a MacGuyver type and will be making a lot of the equipment we'll be using so instead of dreaming of gold I' have problems getting to sleep as I think of how to fabricate all this stuff!!!

Just when you think you have seen the last video....here comes a new one lol never ending I have recently gotten hooked on watching any and all fluid sluice systems with gold traps and keep designing and redesigning in my head lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread